JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
depends on how you intend to use them. If you live near winding roads then I would go with floods for side illumination. If you live in the boonies then Spots.

>> If your windshield lights are floods then I would move them to the bumper and get spots for the windshield. Both will perform better in those locations.

>>> And welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have spots forward driving on the brush guard on bumper. They sit about the same height as the headlights. The pillar lights I have are flood lights and are aimed for the ditch. I love my light setup. It seems logical for my use. I see far down the road and off to the sides for winding roads and for deer hiding I the ditch.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The lights on the cowl are spots. I was also looking into a spot/flood combo light bar. Figured that might be alright since it's a little bit of both

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
What are you stating with lights on cowl are spots? Are referring to windshield A-pillar mounted? Are you stating theses should only be spot lights? Or stating what you have?

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
What are you stating with lights on cowl are spots? Are referring to windshield A-pillar mounted? Are you stating theses should only be spot lights? Or stating what you have?
Lol. He said his lights on the cowl are spots. The drivers side one is pointed directly at the camera, see?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Lol. He said his lights on the cowl are spots. The drivers side one is pointed directly at the camera, see?
Ok I guess that is the same as the A pillar mount? Cowl to me means actually on the cowl. I will include pics of a pillar and cowl mounted. I think there is a difference, how ever it is small. I wanted to be sure we are talking the same thing. Personally I think you can runn whatever you want as long as it achieves throwing light where you want it.

A pillar mounted

Cowl mounted

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for any confusion. And thank you guys for the input. I don't have much time for mudding or anything like that it's usually just an occasional two track or old dirt road. Just needed an idea of which is better or if it wouldn't matter

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Wel there you go, get what works for your needs. There is no wrong way. But you can get ideas of what you from others and their theory's on lighting then make it your own. Just my wiring tip - get rid of pig tails. I found many electrical problems with lights even with protection provided by dielectric grease, electrical tap, shrink wrapping, and paint on electrical tape. Take the extra time and direct wire you lights right up to the inside of the housing. You will be glad you too the extra time to do it.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I run KC Slim Lite "Driving Lights" (Floods) on the windshield mounts. I put them there because at the time I didn't have a bull bar on the front bumper.

For me, Floods, are better because everything around here is woods, and finding a straight road is near impossible. I'd rather see to the sides more than 2 miles ahead.

Thinking about buying a pair of spots and putting them on the windshield mounts, then moving the floods to the bull bar or onto the rear tire carrier for camping purposes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts