JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a member here and JK owner since March, I read this forum daily but rarely post, anyway ...
Got my Jeep setup last week to flat tow behind my RV. I did not disconnect battery as instructed in the owners manual, I pulled the IOD fuse. After towing for couple hundred miles I went to start up the Jeep, went down the road a little, and started smelling something burning, smelled like rubber. I checked everything and could not find anything. I did not notice the smell as I was unhooking the Jeep, just after starting back up. The smell went away after a few minutes. So after camping for the weekend and towing back home I noticed the same smell. Has anyone else experienced this?
I checked a couple of RV site forums and they suggested it was probably road debris on the exhaust burning off...The owners manual suggested unhooking the negative battery cable, is there something trying to run when I am towing, and is it burning up?
Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Interested Also

I am interested in any anwsers as I am looking to flat tow my JK also. I have also read on RV forums about road grime on the exhaust system. Check out RV.net in the toad forum search Jeep and a lot of threads show up.

Slight hijack,

Hambone,

What setup are you using to flat tow your JK? Are you using an aftermarket bumper or what not. What breaking system are you using also.

Thanks,

Chili_p

·
Registered
35 Posts
It is road grime on the exhaust. I have flat towed my JK the last 2 years now. On a long tow and dirty roads it will even smoke some. That can be scary.

I have also had times when towing to A,laska on the Alaska Hwy when wet and or dusty, that the Radiator cooling fan will get full of dirt and jam up. After getting into Anchorage after 4 days of towing, the jeep was smoking so bad and was getting hot. It was all the road grime and the fan was not turning. The fix is to block the front of radiator so dirt wont blow thru but also blowing out the fan motor before starting or at least spin it by hand to be sure it is clear as dirt will still get in from below. I still have the stock fan and this is after having it jam up several times. Once I had to flush it out with a hose.

When I first started out and left So Fla. The dealer had overfilled the Motorhome oil and it was blowing some out the breather. It is a Diesel Pusher so the breather tube is near the rear and spalttered the under side of the jeep. Took a while to burn that off.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I was hoping that it was nothing with the Jeep. I have an outdoor hose on my RV so maybe a quick wash down would be helpful after a long pull.
We are planning a trip from Georgia to Yellowstone in July 2010. That will probably be the longest trip we go on, we mostly have been camping within 4-6 hours of home.
My towing set up is currently, a Smittybilt XRC Bumper that I had Roadmaster Universal Brackets welded to. It kinda sucked grinding the nice Powdercoat off of a new bumper to weld them on, but I think it is better than just bolting them on. I also have a Brake Buddy. I am using one of the Reese 5000 lb tow bars right now and really have had no issues with it, but I am looking for an Blue OX Aventa 10000 lb tow bar on the local boards, Craigslist etc... I would rather have the tow bar rated for a higher weight than what I actually need, probably overkill but I would feel safer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have Smitty Built Bumpers also. I just used the Shackle mounts. Modifiyed the Mopar towbar and use grade 8 bolts right to the shackle mounts. They are welded thru on both sides and have held just fine. Have to line up just right to hook up but I can deel with it.

Yellowstone is great. Any plans to go up to Glacier? A must see!

·
Registered
70 Posts
We have towed our JK several thousand miles and get the funky smell as well, the longer the tow the longer it takes to burn off, but its just road grime build up so no worries.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I have towed mine for the last three years multiple thousands of miles...always get the smell, my Dad does on his XJ too, and it is 11 year old...so, imho, no worries...its a Jeep thing...:bounce:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been towing my Jk for about 8 months now and haven't had any problems but have smelled the same thing use talked about..

I use a blue ox towbar and made some ears for the towbar that allow me to attach it to the front clevis points on my rockhard bumper. I went to the farm store and got some 3/4" pins to attach the bumper to the towbar ears.

I use a SMI brake system which works really well.

I need battery power for the SMI Brake system so I could not disconnect the negitave terminal like the owners manual suggests. I went to Walmart and found a battery quick disconnect. I had to drill the battery terminal connection hole out so that it will fit over the positive battery terminal.

Win

·
Registered
440 Posts
We use the Demco Tow Bars with the Unified Brake System that ties in with our Holiday Rambler brake system. I bought a 6 inch hitch extension from Demco that raises the tow point and levels out the bars so we are back to specs for towing. The tow bars attach to our Shrockworks bumper. No problems towing over the last three years. We also get the smell and that goofy noise in the fuse box whenever we hook up.

One advantage of the Unified System is that it uses an auxillary vacuum pump to activate the power brakes on the Jeep. I'm going to put in a switch that will allow me to turn on the pump when I want to. If I stall on a hill, I can hit the switch and rely on the vacuum pump and battery to maintain my Jeep power brakes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
been towing my 08 from Fl to Co annually and all points in between....to answer your question ...YES..HELL YESS..
have never found anything....no help here sorry ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also,
Jeep has 35's and 4" lift.. jeep #4.. Nothing stock about the suspension.
42 DP pulling, cameras let me know its there. Blue Ox 10K bar and hitch welded to the bumper attached to frame.
Have tried several designs of break assist for the jeep opted for the simple tow lights to the rear fenders and a break buddy to stop things. monitor towing and coach with noncontact probe all is normal ..
My main concern is however replacing the steering stabilizer every year. use the cheapest 4WP has.. would like to try a better quality unit. Tech said in some cases the wheels may not cut to follow the coach...sounds fishy plus its the only time i'heard it.. has any one else ever heard of this phenomenon...?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts