JKOwners Forum banner

Flat Fenders or no?

• Empty your bank account for Bushwacker flat fenders

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Dont be a wuss! Save a few $$ and cut your stockers

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • You have weeny O-ring rim protectors! Get bigger tires first!

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the fence here! I cant decide. I like the Bushwacker flat fenders. But for the $$ a trim would be way cheaper and if done right will look just as good. But then I wonder if it will create too much gap?? What to do?

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
I think it looks good like it is. I've pondered the same decision to do mine with stock tires and no lift to make it look higher. I've seen it both ways and both look fine. Buy you a used set of flares off of ebay and trim them, if you don't like them, you can put yours back on.

And... i think cut looks as good as aftermarket ones. Plus they flex and return to shape better than rigid ones

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Tires are 34x12 with 3.5" of lift in the front wit an additional 1" spacer and 3" in the rear with a 1/2" spacer. As is fully flexed it doesn't rub. But disco'd I don't know if it will rub or not. I will find out in a couple weeks when we go to rausch creek.

Something about these tires is deceiving. My buddy has 35" KM2's and they look huge compared to mine but they are only .5" bigger measure mounted on the jeep.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have a RK 2.5 lift, 35's and PSC flat fenders. I love the way it looks. IMHO, 35's don't look too small, although I have plenty of room for 37's. I am not a huge fan of the cut fender look, but I think it's because they look so thin.

Davesrb

·
Registered
134 Posts
Rugged ridge also offer's a cheap set of flat fenders. They even relocate the marker light. I am running them now and IMO they are a great option for anyone looking to save money. I believe I paid 236 for a set. I eventually want PSC w/ crusher corners but that is very low on my wish list.:mr-t:

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I have 35's on a 3.5" lift. They never rub on the flares at full flex. If I go to 37's, I'll get some trick flares. Other than that, it's just spending money.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I cut mine...I like em..I like the copperhead cut though...Would have looked slightly better on mine that way ...I think.

But, I didn't have the coin to buy good flares...plus I wanted to wait till something really nice and light came out..

And PSC is releasing my new ones...ha ha haaa

·
Registered
600 Posts
You didnt mention it, but I can tell you from experience. After installing my TF 2.5, I was surprised to see only an 1" or so of up travel before hitting the bumps The bumpstock extensions that come w/the 2.5 are extremely long & limit your bump travel, to save the OE fenders. Ive had flatties before my TF 2.5 coil lift & after pulling some measurements, I went w/JKS .75 up front & fabbed 1"ers from aluminum for the rears & gained alot of bump travel. Do something w/the fenders, dump the BS extensions, gain flex & gain clearance in the tight stuff from the OE fenders brushing stuff. Just my 2 cents. Some before & after flex pics are on my profile. Copperhead's fenders do look good w/that cut.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I still have the stockers on there. I've looked at many of the after market flatties and they're either butt ugly looking, too heavy (steel) or both. Most cut jobs I've seen look like, well, cut jobs. Of the flats Bushwacker just seems to have the best overall setup, but the look is still goofy to me.

The most interesting ones are the Trail Mods convertible flares. They look much better in person than they do in photos. Teraflex had a painted to match body color set on their display vehicle at EJS and they looked killer. Problem would be what to do with them when they're removed?

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Just my 2cents: Cut fenders look better with a stubby bumper, while the stock dog ears look fine with a full width bumper. Ofcourse do what you must if the tires are hitting the fenders. I agree with cutting the stock fenders before you upgrade unless your're looking to go back to stock later.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The most interesting ones are the Trail Mods convertible flares. They look much better in person than they do in photos. Teraflex had a painted to match body color set on their display vehicle at EJS and they looked killer. Problem would be what to do with them when they're removed?
I actually like the trailmods fenders a lot! But they are really expensive and I have heard horror stories of them blowing off at freway speeds.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
On the original posters JK, I'd leave the fenders. Cutting will make your tires look too small, immediately.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts