JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: So yesterday the Airbag light starts going off on my 08 JKU. Along with this super annoying chime every minute or whenever I turn the wheel. I know it's the clock spring. This problem is almost as bad as the constant cracked driver side manifolds. Of course mine is an 08 so the extended warranty doesn't cover it even though it's the exact same part as the 07's or the rest for that matter.

Called Chrysler Customer Care and was given a big :flipoff: How can they extend the warranty on just one year when it effects all years? And why am I forced to listen to this damn chime on a safety system I don't even want. ( I hate airbags)

Why are some people having luck with Chrysler paying the $500 for this repair but when I call they have no clue what I'm talking about?

Ok rant over.. carry on.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Dealing with Chrysler can sometimes be a pain, especially from the customers end. Hate to say it but its the truth, if there's anything I can do to help let me know man. At the very least we offer a large discount for all forum members on OEM & aftermarket parts. If you need help with the price of the clockspring let me know:)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought 08s had a recall on it?
No sir, there was actually never an official recall on it for any year. What they did was extend the warranty on that part for the 07's only. That's what makes me mad is it's the same design and same exact part for all the years so why only make it apply to one certain year? They are admitting there is a high failure rate but only want to fix it on one year only.

I did a lot of searching on it and found a lot of people who claimed to have success in calling Chrysler Customer Care hotline and getting them to cover it. But like I said when I called they had no clue what I was talking about. :mad:

And what upsets me the most about this is it's a system that is requred by law to be on the vehicle and it's annoying as all hell with the chime going off every minute while you drive and a big red light flashing on the dash. If it wasn't for the light and the chime I couldn't care less about if my airbags work or not. So basically I'm going to have to pay almost $300 for a part to fix something I don't even want.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you pull the 2 fuses that are in the yellow safety case in the fuse box, you have to pry the whole thing out carefully with a small screwdriver, it will only chime once when you start the jeep and the light will stay on and not blink. Not the best thing to do, but it will give you some sanity until you can get the clockspring fixed or wait till they extend the warranty on the 08's. Or just say fuck it and put a piece of tape over the light.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you pull the 2 fuses that are in the yellow safety case in the fuse box, you have to pry the whole thing out carefully with a small screwdriver, it will only chime once when you start the jeep and the light will stay on and not blink. Not the best thing to do, but it will give you some sanity until you can get the clockspring fixed or wait till they extend the warranty on the 08's. Or just say fuck it and put a piece of tape over the light.
Oh nice! Thanks for that tip. I will look into that tonight. I broke down and ordered a new clock spring but until I get it swapped it will give me a little sanity.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
$500 repair? Sweet!:th_pray: When mine went last year. The stealer quoted me $1179AUD PART ONLY, down here.:flipoff: Yes, I have an '08 as well.

I got one from Jeepsareus delivered to the doorstep for $240AUD and put it in myself. :thankyou:

·
Registered
207 Posts
My dads jk clock sping went out a few times. the last time the warranty rep came out and denied the repair. My dad called chrysler and the told him to pay for it and send them the bill and soon after reimbursed him

·
Registered
315 Posts
Dealing with Chrysler can sometimes be a pain, especially from the customers end. Hate to say it but its the truth, if there's anything I can do to help let me know man. At the very least we offer a large discount for all forum members on OEM & aftermarket parts. If you need help with the price of the clockspring let me know:)

I had my 2010 JKU Sahara at the dealer today. Clock spring $250, labor $160. Can you help out a Jeeper in NJ? I'll do the install myself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts