JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My brother-in-law gave me the opportunity to go with him on a guided fishing lesson on how to fish the bay, types of fish to catch/keep, and clean. Great day on the water and away from work. Can't express how fantastic this was for me. My brother-law owns his own boat and has a place on the water there. So this trip can now be repeated again by simply driving three hours to his place. OMG .... WIN pics or it didn't happen.

http://www.fishmatbay.com/guide.htm

I believe he called this skinny thing a Ladyfish. They sure fight like crazy and tear up the tackle.

This was a small redfish. Apparently I didn't even take pics of the ones that were big enough to keep. It's addicting I'm telling you. Once we started catching more fish I didn't even take pictures anymore.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That is definitely a ladyfish. They are great fun to catch, too bad they're not edible. That is a cute redfish, lol. I'd love to fish Matagorda!

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
I've spent a good deal of time fishing the Texas coast. Nothing like hooking into a bull-red and having him on the grill by nightfall. I've fished all over Galveston Bay and off the surf side as well. Redfish, specs, and flounder were our main focus, but I always loved fishing the Gulf b/c you just never really knew what you would hook... stingray, croaker, shark, and sand eel were not uncommon to accidentally catch as well.

Most fun I ever had was hooking a large Crevalle Jack off a jetty and fighting him for over 1/2 hour. Was incredible to watch the jacks work together to herd schools of mullet towards the shore in order to pick them off. Good times down there... good times.

:beer:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Most fun I ever had fishing was wading off Crystal Beach. A school of reds chasing mullet surfaced all around me. They were bumping my legs for 2 or 3 minutes. Freaky!! Caught a 39" monster!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts