JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys! I'm new to the forum and need some feedback. Just got my JK and went wheeling a few times with the stock Sahara setup. Needed something more so I bought a few goodies.
Please give some feedback on what I plan on doing ecause I am new to wheeling.

4" Rough Country Suspension Lift
JET Performance Stage 1 Module
CRAGAR Series 342 Black "D" Window Wheel 17X9 and 5 inch B/S
ProComp Xtreme A/T tires 35x12.50R17LT
Quik Swaybar disconnect from Rough Country
AIRAID Throttle Body Spacer
Some Body and Light Protection
Might also get the 1" MORE body lift to increase body clearance

If anyone knows about these parts or even has a similar setup please leave feedack. it would be greatly appreciated. Also if there is any problems with what i've bought PLEASSE LET ME KNOW!

· Openly Hostile
6,939 Posts
Hey Guys! I'm new to the forum and need some feedback. Just got my JK and went wheeling a few times with the stock Sahara setup. Needed something more so I bought a few goodies.
Please give some feedback on what I plan on doing ecause I am new to wheeling.

4" Rough Country Suspension Lift
JET Performance Stage 1 Module
CRAGAR Series 342 Black "D" Window Wheel 17X9 and 5 inch B/S
ProComp Xtreme A/T tires 35x12.50R17LT
Quik Swaybar disconnect from Rough Country
AIRAID Throttle Body Spacer
Some Body and Light Protection
Might also get the 1" MORE body lift to increase body clearance

If anyone knows about these parts or even has a similar setup please leave feedack. it would be greatly appreciated. Also if there is any problems with what i've bought PLEASSE LET ME KNOW!
First, Welcome to the forum.

From what I have read throttle body spacers are a waste of money. The 4" lift is enough to clear 37's, so you wont have to worry about a body lift with 35's. I don't have any experience with the Jet chip, but you may want to look at the hypertech tuner that you can also correct your speedo with since you are going to the 35's. What kind of wheeling do you do?

· Registered
1,296 Posts
yup. i agree with the above. i wouldn't waste money on the TBS or CAI. also would recommend going with the hypertech programmer, but unless you plan on running 93 octane gas, just get the one that only programs speedos for tire size changes. if you aren't running premium fuel, the "increases" in performance are little to none.
you shouldn't need a body lift with a 4" lift.
with wheels that have 5" backspace, you may have to get some wheel spacers to prevent rubbing your tires.

welcome aboard! i can see you now have a money pit as well!

· Registered
1,068 Posts
As other have said, ditch the TB spacer and chip. Only Chip I would get is one that also allows me to change the size of the tires and gears so the computer will read the right speeds with the bigger tires.

Your lift is kinda big for 35” tires. If you plan to go to 37’s, great, but you can wheel 35’s with 2.5” of lift, 3” is idea and no need for the BL unless you go 2.5” and add the 1” for the extra fender clearance.

Also pay attention to the back spacing on the new wheels so your 35’s will fit and turn without rubbing

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys thanks for the help and the welcome!!! I live in New England so I do alot of muddy, wet, and rocky trails in the woods. Lots of fun!

Mcnaught would it be better if i got a 4.5" backspace? because they offer that too. I read on Rough Country that 4.5" backspace was necessary so I thought 5" would be better. Correct me if Im wrong before i make a mistake.

Also I was looking for a performace upgrade because i know that with all the added weight of tires my rig will be slower on road... any other suggestions?

· Premium Member
15,301 Posts
Plus what was mentioned above, you might also look into...

some type of rocker protection
skid plates for the undercarrige
winch
front bumper that will accept a winch

Before getting the programmer, consider swapping the gears to 4:88's or 5:13's depending on manual or automatic.
If you haven't installed the TBSpacer, you should be able to return it...Waste of money IMO.

· Registered
1,296 Posts
Guys thanks for the help and the welcome!!! I live in New England so I do alot of muddy, wet, and rocky trails in the woods. Lots of fun!

Mcnaught would it be better if i got a 4.5" backspace? because they offer that too. I read on Rough Country that 4.5" backspace was necessary so I thought 5" would be better. Correct me if Im wrong before i make a mistake.

Also I was looking for a performace upgrade because i know that with all the added weight of tires my rig will be slower on road... any other suggestions?
yeah, you want 4.5" or less backspace - that means it pushes the wheel outward more.

other than a supercharger, which is $$$$ there isn't anything that will really give you a noticeable boost in power. getting lower gears (higher numerically) will give you a good boost in useable power - which i would recommend when going up to 35" tires.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help guys!
If anyone else has reccommendations.... feel free to chime in.
Ill be checking back at the post later. Thanks again!

· Registered
274 Posts
If you do a lot of mud, a mud tire would work better than an AT...If you do a lot of hwy driving, than an AT is a compromise, but, considering all the money you are throwing down...the tires will be your weak link.

BTW - 4.5" of Backspacing gives MORE room than 5" of BS. (Yes, you do have that backwards...)

:D

The MORE BS, the tighter INTO the well the tire is tucked (THE OEM rims have 6.25' of BS)

So, a rim with 4.5" of BS protrudes OUTBOARD about 1.75" MORE than a stock rim, etc.

Ditch the TBS, its impossible for it to work on a sequential throttle body fuel injection system (CAN work for other engine types, like the ones with carburetors, etc...).

I STRONGLY suggest the following:

Get TWO set of tires...get the off road set in a 15 or 16" size to save a lot of money on tires (17" rims and tires will kill you at replacement time...).

(SAME BS BTW...the rim width DOESN'T affect BS/clearance)

That way - you get killer mud performance, and, decent hwy mileage and performance. (Mud tires suck on the road compared to tother choices)

Also - SLIDERS/Rock Rails are a top priority - they give a good place to hi-lift from, and protect your vulnerable rocker panels and pinch seams from damage off road.

Get the JKS JK QD's.

You mentioned rocky trails...get a full set of underbody skid plates.

If your budget is getting blown, you do NOT need 4" of lift.

A 2.5 - 3" lift will fit those tires, and, be way more friendly on road, and, when off camber OFF road, having a little lower center of gravity will be much easier on your upholstery.

A snorkel would be nice if its pretty wet where you wheel.

Hope that helps!

· Registered
1,167 Posts
Welcome, and good wheeling. Forget the chip, had one in and never knew the difference so I took it out. It's for sale if you want it. I did install the CAI (AEM). I have to say that was an improvment. Really helped with the low end stall, and it really perked up the response. I have a 3" lift with 35's and still stuff the tires. So I went with Xenon flares to make the space. Good luck, and have fun

· Registered
258 Posts
I'm from the dry part of the country, but I think a snorkel might be right for you on two levels. Water forging and better CAI (cold air injection).

Welcome....:beer:

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again guys!:beer:

Decided to go with:
2.5" BudgetBoost from TeraFlex
1" M.O.R.E. Body Lift
Also getting the same wheels and tires only in 16" Inner diameter
Looking into rocker protection now... I'll post again with product questions:smokin:
Ditching the idea of performance mods and looking in to regearing and adding lockers.

So hopefully everything goes well. Thanks for the reccommendations!

· Registered
229 Posts
I would hold off on the body lift. They are relatively slow to install and eventually you will want to remove it. Put a better quality 3" lift on and go from there. (one with control arms and springs)

Poly Performance has pretty strong rockers for the jk from what I have seen.

· Registered
1,595 Posts
Where in New England are you? I'm outside of Boston.

I'd go with what the others have said and skip the budget boost/body lift. Get yourself a proper lift with springs, control arms, etc. I'm a big time advocate of Poly Performance stuff. You can't go wrong there.

As for your wheel and tire choice. STAY AWAY from AT tires if you plan on wheeling in New England. The typical trail here in the northeast will gum up the typical AT tire turning it into a slick. You will kick yourself for not having gotten a real mud tire. Trust me on this. I know from experience... :shaking:
If you ever choose to go bigger in tires you'll find that there are a lot more options available in 17" than in 16".

If you've got the cash plan on spending some money on re-gearing. I've been living with the Rubicon 4.10 and 35" tires and I cannot wait to re-gear.

· Registered
2,514 Posts
Sounds like your starting out well, you should look into locking the front and rear. In most cases it's worth more than the lift and tires.

· Premium Member
15,301 Posts
X2 with what Ipe mentioned. There are some great mud terrain tires these days that handle very well on road and will shed the mud off quickly. Some popular ones that many JK/ TJ guys are running, and that have gotten some positive feedback, are:

BFG- KM2
BFG- Mud Terrain KM
Pro Comp- Mud Terrain
Pro Comp- Xterrain
Dick Cepek- Mud Country
Goodyear- Wrangler MT/R
Micky Thompson- MTZ Radial
Maxxis- Buckshot Radial Mudder

*These are all offered in a radial. Stay away from bias tires IMO.

· Registered
1,068 Posts
Good list. I can say from personal experience the Xterrains are first GREAT on most all surfaces but rocks are best. Once I got a little wear on them they started to fill up fast with mud but were still great on the rocks.

Now the Wrangler MT/R's have been a great all around tire for me so far.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Where in New England are you? I'm outside of Boston.
I live in CT. Always lookin for good places to go wheeling if you know of any in CT or nearby states.

If you've got the cash plan on spending some money on re-gearing. I've been living with the Rubicon 4.10 and 35" tires and I cannot wait to re-gear.
I want to regear as well man. Where do I go to get some 4.88s. Wanna do this soon too. Is there an online store or maker you reccommend?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.