JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
YouTube - jk wrangler first hill

all i have is one video of the biggest obstacle i came across while playing around on some land where i train horses on my off time in southern maryland. it was steeper than it looks in the video. and it was too slippery for me to walk up it. im pleased so far with what these jeeps can do. bigger tires are probably coming real soon and maybe a lift. i high centered 3 times that day because of the long wheel base. Enjoy

btw: the camera guy and my passenger have never been off road before, my camera guy was too scared to stay in the jeep and thats the only reason i have this video.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
glad to see your getting out there stock. in my opinion way too many people think they HAVE to have tires, lockers, winch, lights, ect. before they can go out. and gettting out there stock will show you want you really want to do.

that being said. its always a good idea to have someone with you when wheeling that can recover you when that mud hole sneaks up on you. or atleast a winch and proper gear.

here is my example of a hole that snuck up on me.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Wheel the hell out of it stock... but you could use some bigger tires. What gearing do you have?

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
You should get that friend to go with you all the time so you can keep posting vids of your wheeling! :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i guess its 3.21 i think thats what comes stock right? id have to look it up. its geared great for the stock tires though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Stock is so much fun and it is easier to find challanging terrain. The group I ride with all have well built rig so for fun one day I hosted a 235 ride. The only rule was you had to run 235 or smaller tires. Made me realize just how poor of a drive I am.:)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
went out last night with mike's rubi and it some driving in the snow, I am stock with 225/16" and it was fun. the esp saved us a few time's from hitting light polls lol never put it in to 4x4. It just goes to show that the esp works even when you turn it half way off. as much as I hate those little tires they really do handle good in the white stuff and stop good. and yes it fun in stock form.:thefinger:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sounds like your camera guy got a little winded climbing up that hill.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Stock is so much fun and it is easier to find challanging terrain. The group I ride with all have well built rig so for fun one day I hosted a 235 ride. The only rule was you had to run 235 or smaller tires. Made me realize just how poor of a drive I am.:)

That would be fun to do.

·
Registered
553 Posts
My wife and I wheel ours stock. It was a ton of fun and got my toyota buddy off my back for buying a "poser" vehicle. He shut it after he had to get pulled out by me. But the offroad bug is a dangerous creature. 4" rough country and 35s this weekend!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I wheel mine stock all the time! Every time I go out there's always one person who's surprised at what my rig can do (especially on 29" street tires). I don't even have sliders. :shaking:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i went out again during the recent snow we had in southern md dropped a wheel in some ice and got stuck... long story. was fun though i did go down that same hill in the video while it was covered in snow and ill tell you, it was pretty nerve wrecking. really hard to keep traction in that stuff but it did go up some other stuff wish id gotten some videos of it but oh well there will be a next time.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Definitely don't wait for upgrades to have fun. Going with buddies will show you just how much your stock jeep can handle. You will get a kick out of all the modified guys being amazed at what a stock jeep can do, but don't gloat as they will be winching you out of a ditch like what happened to me here http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=637869#post637869

I did just order a lift kit so what am I talking about :beer:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I wheeled the hell out of mine stock. Everyone we met on the trail was amazed by what a stock JK could do. The last trip before I started adding stuff, my buddy had to winch me out of 2 mud holes and a high center with a come-along. Don't have to worry about that anymore.

Looks like you got some nice terrain to play in. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Wheel the hell out of it stock... but you could use some bigger tires. What gearing do you have?
definately wheel it stock... had some of the most fun when mine was stock...

makes it easier to upgrade to stronger aftermarket parts when you break something stock... plus, like mentioned, helps YOU understand what YOU want and need for it...

i guess its 3.21 i think thats what comes stock right? id have to look it up. its geared great for the stock tires though.
more than likely 3.73s... my 2009 2 door with the same wheels and tires and had stock 3.73s... mine was bare bones heat and air jk too...:beer:

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
All good advice. I wheeled nearly stock, upgraded AT tires, and was really suprised at what i could get over/through.

·
Registered
37 Posts
glad to see your getting out there stock. in my opinion way too many people think they HAVE to have tires, lockers, winch, lights, ect. before they can go out. and gettting out there stock will show you want you really want to do.

that being said. its always a good idea to have someone with you when wheeling that can recover you when that mud hole sneaks up on you. or atleast a winch and proper gear.

here is my example of a hole that snuck up on me.
awesome picture

·
Coonasian
1,835 Posts
Seems you are really enjoying your JK! Great vid and thanks for posting it, hope you have more later. :beer:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts