JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 JK 2 door Sport S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a stock 2016 JK 2 door Sport S with 49,000 miles and a 6 speed. This is my first Jeep after more than 50 years of vehicle ownership. I know very little about Jeeps and I look forward picking on the seasoned minds in the forums for the vast knowledge and advice.
Unfortunately, after owning it only for only 90 minutes, it would not restart with dash lights flickering and clicking noise coming from the starter and right front fender area. It was towed back to the dealer to diagnose the electrical problem.
Not a good way to start a new love affair with a new to me vehicle.
Some of the YT videos suggested I pull the M13 fuse and wait 30 seconds to reset the security system. No bueno.
The previous owner installed an aftermarket alarm made by Karr so that might be the problem. I do not like aftermarket electrical gizmos running against the BCM's. I will probably remove the alarm. The battery showed 12.66 volts on my multi-meter.
I will keep you updated on what the problem was..

·
Super Moderator
1,799 Posts
Welcome to JKO. Sorry to hear you are having problems.

Sounds like you know what's going on, so my only other advice to add is:
  • Ensure both the + an - leads on the battery are clean and securely connected so that they cannot wiggle.
  • Ensure no after-market wiring is attached to the battery lead clamp tightening nuts.

Now for some facts about your Jeep.
  • Every JK is possessed by a spirit. This spirit is embodied in the TIPM
  • Every JK's spirit is different. Few led noble lives and will not cause much trouble. Most were witches burned at the stake during the Salem Witch Trials. They manifest themselves with all sorts of electrical nonsense.

Again, welcome and good luck.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Welcome to JKO. Sorry to hear you are having problems.

Sounds like you know what's going on, so my only other advice to add is:
  • Ensure both the + an - leads on the battery are clean and securely connected so that they cannot wiggle.
  • Ensure no after-market wiring is attached to the battery lead clamp tightening nuts.

Now for some facts about your Jeep.
  • Every JK is possessed by a spirit. This spirit is embodied in the TIPM
  • Every JK's spirit is different. Few led noble lives and will not cause much trouble. Most were witches burned at the stake during the Salem Witch Trials. They manifest themselves with all sorts of electrical nonsense.

Again, welcome and good luck.
Probably the most spiritual post I've ever seen.
It's not a problem until your horn starts blowin randomly while the doors are locking/unlocking as you drive behind an HA funeral procession.

Reactions: RJMurcek

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Welcome! My dash lit up like a Christmas tree once and started dinging at me. It was what @snout said. I had my aftermarket lights attached to the wrong terminals on the battery which the computer doesn't like that.

Today my airbag light lit up. Then later disappeared. However, then my seatbelt light lit up and dinged at me while wearing the seatbelt. I figured a poltergeist is in my Jeep. I will be Sage Smudging when I get home. 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
12 Posts
Some suggestions for future similar situations: 2016 jeep, is the battery original? 6 years old is probably approaching its end of life. It may show good voltage (~12.5) while off, but put the multimeter on the batter terminals and have someone try to start it. If the voltage spikes down into the 9v or less range as it cranks, the battery will likely need replacing. Voltage while running should be around 13.5 if the alternator is charging properly. You can also google how to perform a parasitic draw test to see if an add-on like the alarm is pulling too much juice while the jeep is off.

·
Registered
2016 JK 2 door Sport S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some suggestions for future similar situations: 2016 jeep, is the battery original? 6 years old is probably approaching its end of life. It may show good voltage (~12.5) while off, but put the multimeter on the batter terminals and have someone try to start it. If the voltage spikes down into the 9v or less range as it cranks, the battery will likely need replacing. Voltage while running should be around 13.5 if the alternator is charging properly. You can also google how to perform a parasitic draw test to see if an add-on like the alarm is pulling too much juice while the jeep is off.
Thanks Mike, will do, it's still at the dealer and I have not heard from them. I will call and find out when it might be ready and if they were able to start and diagnose it.

·
Registered
2016 JK 2 door Sport S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dealer says the no start problem was due to a dead battery. Got a new battery and drove the Jeep home. All has been good for the past 2 weeks.
Since I do not trust cheap, dealer installed aftermarket alarms, I took the opportunity to remove the mess of wires hidden behind the panel below the steering column. In no way do I want the alarm to possibly affect the possessed Jeep TIPM.
Researching the Karr alarm on the internet shows it to be a cheap, high profit item for dealers who insist the alarm be installed as a condition of sale. BS! From the looks of it, this was installed by the new car dealer in 2016 and not by the used car dealer I purchased it from. I feel much better now.
Twig Electrical wiring Electricity Wire Art

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Dealer says the no start problem was due to a dead battery. Got a new battery and drove the Jeep home. All has been good for the past 2 weeks.
Since I do not trust cheap, dealer installed aftermarket alarms, I took the opportunity to remove the mess of wires hidden behind the panel below the steering column. In no way do I want the alarm to possibly affect the possessed Jeep TIPM.
Researching the Karr alarm on the internet shows it to be a cheap, high profit item for dealers who insist the alarm be installed as a condition of sale. BS! From the looks of it, this was installed by the new car dealer in 2016 and not by the used car dealer I purchased it from. I feel much better now.
View attachment 366577
A friend of mine had an aftermarket stereo "professionally" installed in his 2016. He quickly traded it on a 2018. Didn't lose that much on it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Welcome to JK Owners! Pretty good place to be, there is honest help and considerate people. My first jeep 3 years ago is a 2012 JK Rubi Unlim. Just like everything I own as soon as I got it I started upgrading with better built aftermarket stuff and my baby has only gotten better. Be careful of stuff on Amazon and remember that the things you buy from Bezos dont necessarily carry the manufacturers waranty. I have not personally made that mistake but you can read about it everywhere, even for real name brand quality parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome! My dash lit up like a Christmas tree once and started dinging at me. It was what @snout said. I had my aftermarket lights attached to the wrong terminals on the battery which the computer doesn't like that.

Today my airbag light lit up. Then later disappeared. However, then my seatbelt light lit up and dinged at me while wearing the seatbelt. I figured a poltergeist is in my Jeep. I will be Sage Smudging when I get home. 🤣🤣🤣
This could be early signs of clockspring going bad. When it happens do you have other steering wheel functions that continue to work? (Cruise control, horn, etc.)

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
This could be early signs of clockspring going bad. When it happens do you have other steering wheel functions that continue to work? (Cruise control, horn, etc.)
It all worked fine. My Jeep was about a year old when it happened. Once I changed where I attached the aftermarket wires on the battery everything was normal.

The airbag light went away after a day or two.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts