JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting together a pretty complete trail kit and am having trouble finding a good first aid kit. Anyone have any recommendations? I don't need a full on trauma kit but would like more than just band aids. A durable bag or case would be good too.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
I started with a military first aid kit and added stuff to it from there - superglue, zyrtec, benadryl, scalpel, 4lb fishing line & upholstery needles, etc etc.
it hangs on a quick release velcro web on the rear gate

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those are both good ideas but I am really looking for a pre built/per stocked kit.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Those are both good ideas but I am really looking for a pre built/per stocked kit.
the military kit was pretty well stocked out of the gate, I just added stuff that I personally thought was appropriate.
Like no kits that I'm aware of come with any sort of medicine - so I added a pill bottle with excedrin, ibuprofen, benadryl, etc -common stuff that might make a day on the trail better.
superglue is a must have for cuts
then you can add other stuff depending on your medical abilities to be able to take basic trauma care as far as you're comfortable in the field.

easy to get to and clearly marked are major things though!
In an emergency situation with someone screaming and bleeding everywhere if you have to tell someone "go to my rig, open the tire carrier, then the tailgate, find the trap door in the floor - you might have to move the cooler and recovery straps to find it, then open the trap door, underneath the jumper cables and next to the snatch block is a black bag......"

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
You can always get a pre made kit from walmart,or somplace like that and fill it up.Also REI has some nic pre made kits.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I got mine from a friend who is a nurse, her hospital was giving them away.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
I picked up a johnson and johnson brand one. came packed with bandaids gauze tape advil excedrin bunch of good stuff.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
ZEE Medical has nice kits in hard cases. I am rethinking now, placement, thanks to Venom's post. I have a litttle one on the roll bar but the major trauma kit is in the cubby. Had it there to keep sun off and out of the way.
Thanks Venom! :beer:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have always gotten my First Aid kits from the Red Cross. They are fairly complete and there is little you should have to add.
They are available from the Red Cross Store.

:grinpimp::grinpimp::grinpimp:

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I just made my own and put it in a water proof plastic box that looks similar to an ammo box. Gloves, SAM splints, kerlex, kling, 4x4s, 5x9s, 1000cc bag of saline, various IV caths, band aids, ice packs, triangle bandages, oral glucose, Benadryl, and OTC pain meds. Easily accessible and identifiable in my trail box.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Here's the problem with the above mentioned kits as well as all previously mentioned: None of them have the necessary required equipment to handle a life threatening injury.... A first aid kit that can handle scrapes, bumps, bruises, cuts and small, non life threatening bleeds are 'good to have' kits, but you can just as easily get by without them. Its when the chips are down and you are bleeding heavily that a good first aid kit is the difference between dying and surviving, especially on the trail where ambulances and rescue vehicles will not be easily able to access.

What one should really be carrying, IMHO, is a kit designed to treat an injury that is life threatening, which none of these can do effectively. None of the kits can handle an arterial or large venous bleed (a few 4x4's won't cut it), a long bone fracture or similar life threatening event.

Take a basic kit, add the following and you're off to a good start:

SAM splint
A box of 4x4s
Kerlex (great for stuffing into a large would)
Tourniquet (SWATT-T is a simple, cheap and effective one)
OLEAS or Israeli bandages (great for large wounds)
Triangle bandages (6)
Trauma shears

The above mentioned items alone can handle a major bleed or fracture, which is far more important than a cut, bump or bruise, which can wait until you get home.

Add some region specific niceties like bug spray, OTC analgesics, sunscreen, anti emetics, anti diarrheals, etc. and you have a pretty good kit..

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Couldn't agree more with what chrisle said everything he has listed Are great suggestions, and in my opinion what every one of us should be familiar with. As a medic I can tell ya trauma care is simple air goes in and out blood goes round and round any variation is a bad thing. The most important thing is too be familiar with and know how to use everything in your kit. Triangular bandages are one of the most versatile things you could include the have far more uses then you would think.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
My wife is a registered nurse at a very busy hospital, who has done a lot of charity work in 3rd world countries. She laughed at the first aid kit I had in my jeep, so I let her stock it.

She threw just about everything away and added:
* Celox
* 5x9 Trauma pad
* 4.5" roll of Kerlix
* 6" bandages
* Waterproof tape
* Gloves
* Suture kit with hemostat, and scissor
* Alcohol wipes
* butterfly closures
* eye dressing
* mini maglight
* garment scissors
* and a couple of bandaids and packets of antibiotic ointment

It honestly takes up less space than all the crap I had in there before.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts