JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont no if this post went through but has any one in this forum had there jeep catch fire and does it happen to the rubcions ive heard it happens to the x and the sahara auto only

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh ya lots have been on fire my friends jeep wrangler x caught on fire and the fire fighter told him it only happens with the auto trans

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I know there were like 3 or 4 on JK-forum back in the day when I was there and just recently someone posted on JeepForum their auto, STOCK, 2 door JK burnt as well on the road, driving just a few miles....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i just want to know if it happens to the rubcion cuz i only heard it happen to the x and the sahara not the rubcion

·
Registered
242 Posts
i just want to know if it happens to the rubcion cuz i only heard it happen to the x and the sahara not the rubcion
The Rubicon is not more fire resistant than any of ther other models. I've heard multiple theories and most go back and further between the auto tranny and the Evap can., both of which are shared between all models.

·
Administrator
8,731 Posts
There is speculation that the automatic Unlimited.. X, Sahara, Rubicon catch fire because of overheating transmission which spews fluid on to the exhaust. I don't think it is rampant, but I do think something is up.

There was another one up in flames just last week posted on JeepForum.

Also, after you have been wheeling or even just off the paved road in tall grass, the grass can get wadded in your skid plates later catching fire by your exhaust. This is true with almost all off road capable vehicles.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think there will be a recall...there's also speculation about fuel lines and proximity to the exhaust/skid plate.

But its definitely an auto thing and definitely happens to rubicons.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I was pretty convinced I needed a fire extinguisher before this, but I think between all the JK sites this is about the 10th time I've seen something about one going up in flames, so I'm definitely getting one.

Anyone have any suggestions on extinguishers, preferably ones that will mount to the roll bars in the back.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I have heard of 7 now 8 catching fire all have been 4 door unlimiteds. My theory is like Hitmoney stated the trans is overheating but if you look below the trans dip stick the fuel supply and return lines cross just above the exhaust. So what I think is happening is the fluid is coming out of the dipstick or the vent (both in the same area), dripping on the exhaust, catching fire and melting the (plastic) fuel lines. This is why I added a trans cooler a long time ago.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I was pretty convinced I needed a fire extinguisher before this, but I think between all the JK sites this is about the 10th time I've seen something about one going up in flames, so I'm definitely getting one.

Anyone have any suggestions on extinguishers, preferably ones that will mount to the roll bars in the back.
The only problem is most people that this has happened to have stated as soon as they stopped moving the fire spread rapidly. So it is probably best to just worry about yourself and passengers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cuz i asked the dealer if i could put 1 and they said i already have 1 cuz i have the tow package with my jeep

1 - 20 of 67 Posts