JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
after waiting almost 2 months for about the only reputable shop in town to have time for me, the Jeep goes under the knife monday!
Took so long because the owner of the shop wanted to do it himself so I figured it was worth the wait.
This will be the FIRST work done to it by anyone other than myself.
Even the tire mounting, I pulled the wheels and took them to the shop and only had them do the mount and balance and put them on myself.

Kinda nervous because I've done everything from oil changes to lift, welding, cutting, all of it with my own hands.
I'll be awfully glad to get it back!

5.13s going in and getting my rear solid cover on while it's open

· Registered
1,900 Posts
Just curious, but by the sound of your thread you sound competent; why didn't you try the gear change yourself? It's not to difficult even if you don't have the pinion depth gauge. It just take a little more patients. Sometimes the shops charge so much you could save money buying all the equipment and doing it yourself. I did my first gear change 12 years ago on an old Scout 80 now I've change gears in most Dana, Ford, and Toyota housings. I'll show anyone how to do it, that way they can pass it on. I've never had one explode or even hum. It sucks when you have to wait for someone to do it for you and don't even know if they are going to do it right.

· Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mainly because I don't have time to do it myself and struggle through it, the jeep is my DD and I really cant be without it any longer than needed - if the weather was better it would be different cuz I could ride my scooter but motorcycle + 30 mile round trip to work + 20 degrees = aint happening!

· Registered
1,245 Posts
after waiting almost 2 months for about the only reputable shop in town to have time for me, the Jeep goes under the knife monday!
Took so long because the owner of the shop wanted to do it himself so I figured it was worth the wait.
This will be the FIRST work done to it by anyone other than myself.
Even the tire mounting, I pulled the wheels and took them to the shop and only had them do the mount and balance and put them on myself.

Kinda nervous because I've done everything from oil changes to lift, welding, cutting, all of it with my own hands.
I'll be awfully glad to get it back!

5.13s going in and getting my rear solid cover on while it's open
Dude, I feel it! I just made the appointment for mine next week and like you, it'll be the first work done by someone else. I had the dealer do an axle seal once, but I had to go back in and make it right myself (ended up being sh!t Superior quality control). Gears are the one thing I would pay someone else to do. Someone said it's not that hard, but I still want a lot of experience dealing with my gears.

· Registered
1,900 Posts
Dude, I feel it! I just made the appointment for mine next week and like you, it'll be the first work done by someone else. I had the dealer do an axle seal once, but I had to go back in and make it right myself (ended up being sh!t Superior quality control). Gears are the one thing I would pay someone else to do. Someone said it's not that hard, but I still want a lot of experience dealing with my gears.
I feel your pain, the reason I got into doing my own gears is the same thing. I had a Scout rearend shell out after I paid the guy $350 (1990 dollars) to do mine. He said it wasnt his fault and and wouldn't help me out. So I paid a guy to teach me how to do it and now I have no fear about it. I wish I lived closer to the bulk of JK'ers I'd keep a spare set of honed out bearings so we could make quick work of the change. That reminds me I sould see if anyone has a spare set around so I can have them worked before I pull my gears.

I'll show anyone how to do it. If they really want to learn I've had some folks con-me into doing it for them, and I'm done with that. If someone is serious and lives close by I'll drive out or we can do them at my place. The only problem with my place is I have a Bronco in a million pieces takeing up my garage and driveway. I sold my house with shop a few years ago and miss the hell out of it.

· Registered
167 Posts
I have wanted to learn how to properly set up gears for years. I don't have anywhere to do it here, plus I sure couldn't ask you to drive to Texarkana to help me do my gears! If you find a cleared off spot to do it, and a free weekend, and don't mind teaching me how to do it I would really like to learn. I have always wanted to learn but I don't have anyone to show me and I am a hands on learner. I can't just read it in a book or online and do it. I can't just watch someone do it either. I have to have my hands in it ya know? I always liked the expression "see one, do one, teach one" cept I am more like do one with help, do one, teach one. Anyway... If you have the time and interest to tech me I love to learn.

· Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dropped it off this morning
He's the first person to lay a wrench on the jeep other than me since it left the factory
just feels weird to be jeepless!

· Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just picked it up and everythong looks/feels good!
I gave him a heads up about the locker sensors when I dropped it off and he said it was a good thing, they'd be easy to destroy if he didnt know to look for them - so guys make sure and give a warning when you take your rig in to get gears done!
got back to work and checked in the parking lot - according to the lights on the dash, my lockers work fine. I'll check em for real on my way home.
Definitely seems 'peppier', driving home on the highway tonight will be the test - see how long it stays in 4th.
At times it would drop all the way to 2nd to hold 70MPH in these TX hills.

Also had them put on my $65 rear SOLID cover while they were in there.:grinpimp:
He checked the ball joints and u-jounts and everything looked good.
It's got ~27K miles on it.

Only issue is that when the front droops all the way, the driveshaft rubs the skid plate so it's gonna be plasma cutter time to do a little notch.
Damn I'm glad to have it back!
They're the first ones to lay a wrench on it since it left the factory other than me, and hopefully the last!

· Registered
4,987 Posts
He checked the ball joints and u-jounts and everything looked good. It's got ~27K miles on it.
Surprisingly my ball joints were in pretty good condition when I just changed them at 50k miles.

Only issue is that when the front droops all the way, the driveshaft rubs the skid plate so it's gonna be plasma cutter time to do a little notch.
I had to the same thing.

Glad it's all back in running condition :)

· Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
stopped off n checked and the lockers work just fine :smokin:

it holds 75 MPH on the highway now in 4th gear!

I am officially out of mods to install now (finally!)

Thanks again Phil!

· Registered
1,043 Posts
I feel your pain, the reason I got into doing my own gears is the same thing. I had a Scout rearend shell out after I paid the guy $350 (1990 dollars) to do mine. He said it wasnt his fault and and wouldn't help me out. So I paid a guy to teach me how to do it and now I have no fear about it. I wish I lived closer to the bulk of JK'ers I'd keep a spare set of honed out bearings so we could make quick work of the change. That reminds me I sould see if anyone has a spare set around so I can have them worked before I pull my gears.

I'll show anyone how to do it. If they really want to learn I've had some folks con-me into doing it for them, and I'm done with that. If someone is serious and lives close by I'll drive out or we can do them at my place. The only problem with my place is I have a Bronco in a million pieces takeing up my garage and driveway. I sold my house with shop a few years ago and miss the hell out of it.
I have wanted to learn how to properly set up gears for years. I don't have anywhere to do it here, plus I sure couldn't ask you to drive to Texarkana to help me do my gears! If you find a cleared off spot to do it, and a free weekend, and don't mind teaching me how to do it I would really like to learn. I have always wanted to learn but I don't have anyone to show me and I am a hands on learner. I can't just read it in a book or online and do it. I can't just watch someone do it either. I have to have my hands in it ya know? I always liked the expression "see one, do one, teach one" cept I am more like do one with help, do one, teach one. Anyway... If you have the time and interest to tech me I love to learn.
keep me up to speed on if this happens!

I am only 2.5 hours from Tulsa, And would LOVE to learn how to do these!

I am going to be on 35's soon, And i can only imagine how much it sucks with 4.10's, As of right now, I am running stock tires, And this thing is CONSTANTLY hunting for 3rd.

Anyway, Shoot me a PM a week in advance and i will meet you in Tulsa!:beer::beer::beer:

· Registered
1,245 Posts
Mine's set up for this coming Monday. The mechanic suggested Yukon gears, plus I'm getting an ARB thrown in the rear as well. I gots to admit I'm gettin' nervous about it too. Too bad I don't live closer to Tulsa....:eek: Wait a minute, Tulsa's flat, windy and everyone talks funny. Too bad you don't live closer to Durango.

· Registered
1,900 Posts
First mod anyone shoud get is gears an lockers. Even if it means using OD on the street for a while. It sucks having big tires and no pull.

· Registered
3,026 Posts
Damn I'm glad to have it back!
They're the first ones to lay a wrench on it since it left the factory other than me, and hopefully the last!
Then it will rub on the transmission (auto only) not sure how to fix that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.