JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To All Wheelers,
Anyone who is concerned with Trail closure's in Reddington, (3 pools, Chimney Rock, etc...) This would be a good place to be, to show OUR Interest, and Concern for these Changes.
If we don't Show an interest, and voice our opinions, We'll have to live with theirs.
Let's not leave to the next guy to speak for us, lets show up and speak for ourselves.
Friends of Redington Pass (FRP) will hold a Community Meeting in April to engage the public in a discussion about the future of Redington Pass. FRP will be developing a Collaborative Area Management Plan proposal to submit to the Forest Service for their consideration and would like to hear from you. Please hold this date open and inform your friends and neighbors of the meeting.

WHEN

Monday, April 28, 2014 from 7:00-9:00 pm

WHERE

The Tanque Verde School Board Building, behind Emily Gray Junior High School at the corner of Tanque Verde Road and Tanque Verde Loop Road.

Tell everyone!
I didnt see a thread for this yet, you guys have been very helpful in organizing against Friends of Reddington. Pass the word.

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
I didnt see a thread for this yet, you guys have been very helpful in organizing against Friends of Reddington. Pass the word.
It was posted in the Tucson thread, Sierra vista off road on facebook as well.

·
22,098 Posts
It has been suggested that whoever goes to wear red shirts to show unity.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Yup, thanks Ash. I will be there and will begin the second wave of calling for support.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Here are a few links for you all that are interested in Reddington Pass.

This link is for the proposed changes. Download and read everything! The maps at the bottom are large and will take a little time, but show the area really well. Map 2 is the Reddington Pass one. Then go out with your GPS's and locate where your favorite play areas are and see whats effected.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/f...ZOMDcxT1RVODBJN0o2MTJQRDMwODQ!/?project=29215

This link is to the part that says public comment time passed March 6,2014.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3790935.pdf

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts

This link is for the proposed changes. Download and read everything! The maps at the bottom are large and will take a little time, but show the area really well. Map 2 is the Reddington Pass one. Then go out with your GPS's and locate where your favorite play areas are and see whats effected.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/f...ZOMDcxT1RVODBJN0o2MTJQRDMwODQ!/?project=29215

Of course the time has passed to do anything productive. However I wonder why the FOR guys are still working on things? Must be they know something that we don't?

·
22,098 Posts
Of course the time has passed to do anything productive. However I wonder why the FOR guys are still working on things? Must be they know something that we don't?
Because they are fucking douchebags.

·
22,098 Posts

It looks like they are going to decommission part of the trail around chimney rock and reroute it around it. Chimney rock trail is #4438 until it gets to Alamo springs which is 4431 and then it is 4431 to chimney rock play area.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts

I read many web sites that featured something from the FORP and it seems "well at least to postings" that the intent is on the shooting ranges trashy areas ect. Which might be a good thing since there are so many inconsiderate people out there.

As for the road closures Jim, they are still many years off! By the time they close Chimney you'll be tired of going out there....

But hay, someone go to the meetings and ask them about the Forestry Road Management plan and ask what they are doing?
Here is a link to the final CAT reports. I wasn't part of up there, but I was on the CAT team for Sierra Vista.. Belive me, nothing really got decided with all the different tree huggers and such!
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coronado/landmanagement/projects/?cid=stelprdb5371187

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Well my understanding was that the proposed detours and closures and such were being presented for the 2015 travel management plan.

In the Redington Pass area the hot spots are the Chiva Falls trail from the turnoff just before oh shit hill, the Tanque Verde wash from the drop in point all the way up to Three Ponds and the Chimney Rock play area.

When I met with the forest service, the OHV parks and rec guy and FOR's environmental attorney, the most concerned party was the FOR guys with the forest service second in line. FOR's game plan or desire is to close the Chiva trail at the turn off where you drop down to go up to the fall just before oh shit hill. They want everyone out of there.

They also want to see the Tanque Verde wash completely closed from the drop down up to Three Ponds. They would also like to see the west loop closed but I think for now that isn't as hot on their radar although they would like to see parts of the loop closed in a sneak attack to create a dead end road hence putting it on the forest service radar for closure. Reason being is that the forest service is making attempts at closing many of the dead end trails only leaving trails with loops remaining so there is a method to their madness.

The Chimney Rock play area has been officially closed for years but not enforced. The proposal for that area is to build a new bypass completely around the play area closing it off to everyone. I have not seen anything about the Los Alamos trail however it being a dead end does put it on the forest service list at some point.

There is still time to battle this out but understand that at this point the Special Olympians calling themselves "Friends of Redington Pass" have only one interest in mind, closing as much as possible in the area for Offroad type activities and preserving the area strictly for the local homeowners PERIOD!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Murray the only battle that can go on, is when the proposed changes will go into effect. That is why the public comment time cutoff. Your right about the 2015 management plan, but the problem is actually putting up signage and then the more difficult enforcement part. Like you said chimney has been officially closed for years.

Murray have you actually looked at the maps for the changes? I am not familiar enough with the area to really know. It did look like Chiva was going to remain open.

·
22,098 Posts
Of course people are going. Nothing was mentioned about shooting ranges and where to throw dirty diapers..
I thought the diapers got thrown in Toyota prius's windows at stop lights.:shitstorm:

·
Registered
941 Posts
Well guys, I can't make it tonight.

Wife's sick, Son's working late so I have to babt sit the grandson. :thefinger:

For those that are going: THANK YOU! :thankyou:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts