JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. So I went to Jeep Beach on Saturday- awesome time being inside Daytona Int'l. Speedway again, and good times with good people :)

Anyway, I was screwing around on the obstacle course, and one section reminded me that my front tires occasionally like to crunch into the stock fenders. No, I haven't cut them down, but I also rather don't like them. I'm running a 3.5" RK lift, and 35" KM2's, and MAY go up to 37's in the future ($$ permitting). 2-door, by the way :)

Now, here's the question:
Which fenders should I go with? My dilemma is, should I go with plastic, as it's both A. cheaper, B. flexible and C. light, or steel, which is A. strong, B. inflexible, and C. heavy?

The rig is mostly a DD, but I wheel the piss out of it whenever possible. I am, as anyone who's wheeled with me can tell you, still too much a racing driver, and not enough of a CRAWLer. I tend to be a bit rough on my stuff. Now, that brings me back to plastic v. steel: will the flexibility of plastic work in my favor, or should I go for steel, and bang along the trail (giggity)? Discuss :) Mark W.

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,653 Posts
They will both do their job, but you're going to get into them either way unless you add a little bit of bump stop to your suspension. Do you have extended bump stops on it currently?

I don't think you can go wrong either way and there have been plenty of pictures here proving that they will both take a beating. I say go with the ones that you like the look of the best! Ha ha!

Marcus

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that's the balls of it- I love 'em all! Well, not so much the pocket-style suckers- they're a bit too parking-lot pimpin' for my style, but the flatties.

I don't have extended bumpstops- saving up for those, too :) Always SOMETHING new on this greedy bitch of mine :) Mark W.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As for price and performance, I'm really digging the Bushwacker flatties. I'd love to hear some input from owners. And, yes, I've searched, but we all know how much fun the forum search button can be :) Mark W.

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,653 Posts
Yeah, that's the balls of it- I love 'em all! Well, not so much the pocket-style suckers- they're a bit too parking-lot pimpin' for my style, but the flatties.

I don't have extended bumpstops- saving up for those, too :) Always SOMETHING new on this greedy bitch of mine :) Mark W.
Ha ha! I know what you mean man, I'm in the same boat. So many choices and so many great companies to support. It can really be a feat!

If I were you and wanted to support the industry I'd go with someone like Poison Spyder, River Raider, Nemesis Industries, ect. These guys are building steel flares in the good ole US of A and grinding out long hours to bring us high quality products at competitive prices.

That being said, throw some bump stops in there in the meantime. We can set that thing up with some stackables from Rock Krawler for about $100.

Marcus

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,653 Posts
As for price and performance, I'm really digging the Bushwacker flatties. I'd love to hear some input from owners. And, yes, I've searched, but we all know how much fun the forum search button can be :) Mark W.
Sorry that I keep replying. LOL!

A friend of mine here has the Bushwacker flat flares and once they are installed they are STOUT. They look good, are cost effective, and should do you well in terms of protection.

I'm signing off now...you boys have at it! :) :beer:

Marcus

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input, Marcus. Jeremy and the guys at RK are about an hour north of me in NY (I move back this week! Freaking stoked! :))- they know my rig well :) I'm going to bug them for the bumps and the 3-link rear soon- just gotta find a local welder who won't kill me on $$! :)

As for the fenders, being in the rust belt (knee deep in it!), I'm really leaning towards the plastic side, as they can't rust! :) Being lightweight is a nice bonus, as well. The fact that they're half as much $$ as steelies helps, too. Sadly, I have millionaire dreams, and empty ass pockets :( Mark W.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Have you thought about just cutting your stock flares? It doesn't cost anything and sounds like it would be perfect for you.

BTW I have some Teraflex front bump stops if you want them. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^ Yep :) I mentioned that in the OP. I'm not really keen on the way cut stockers usually look. Also, with my attention to detail, they'd come out pretty ugly! :) While I hate to admit it, because 99% of the time I DON'T care how my Jeep looks, the fenders can make or break the look of the Jeep, so I want to have mine just-so :) Mark W.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
FWIW I have the Xenons, which are similar to the BW, and they are great. I've completely folded the rear ones over and they just pop back, they take a hit and flex. They get a little scratched up from rocks, but that just adds character.

When I bought them there were no complete sets of steel ones available, so that made the decision easy for me. Given the choice would I buy them or steel? I like the solid feel of steel and would be tempted, but I would not be against the plastic ones, as they work well and do their job.

·
Registered
150 Posts
FYI don't expect the bushwacker flats to bend or flex, they are hard plastic and have transferred impacts to my tub causing dents, wish I had just bought the steel flares I really wanted.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
If it were my rig (and it will be my rig undergoing the same thing soon) I'd go straight for the Nemesis Industries aluminum flares. If not those, then RROR or PSC aluminum flares.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
there's also Trailmods, giving you the option to run nothing on the trail and still provide the somewhat factory look on the road. and completely in stock and ready to ship.

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49058

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49065&highlight=trailmods

i really dig the look of the Bushwacker flatties myself too and i've personally seen these and they're slick looking.

Um how about Poison Spyder aluminum flat flares...? They will be getting released very soon.
i wouldn't hold my breath on these unless you know something i don't. nothing against PSC but they have a lot of things "soon to be released" and if Marc is looking for something now he's real option is "in stock ready to ship" IMO.

If it were my rig (and it will be my rig undergoing the same thing soon) I'd go straight for the Nemesis Industries aluminum flares. If not those, then RROR or PSC aluminum flares.
this is a great option! really clean looking too. i too would really consider these if you have the budget for them!

:smokin:

·
Registered
179 Posts
By the way, welcome to Florida. I also have a two door and I almost purchased the Bushwacker last year at the 4WD show last August. I liked the $$ of plastic, and they look great.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Well, I talked to Larry at EJS from PSC. And he told me they were finishing up the last test's. Should be a few weeks. Then we'll see them. I'm on the list to get a set as soon as they release.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
I have the Xenons and have folded up the front right several times and they just snap right back into place. I knocked out the light on the New Year's run and have not fixed it yet.... I have second guessed myself over and over about getting the Xenon's.. I had a buddy fab the ones in the back on the RROR corners and thought about getting a set of narrows from RROR or PSC so the front will match (bed lined) I just have too much on the list to start replacing things that I already replaced...

The one hit that took out my little marker light may have damaged the body... never know for sure but it took a pretty good hit and just snapped right back

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm a bit wary about aluminum armor. I'll be in rocks 95% of the time when wheeling, and I know how aluminum acts under pressure- it snaps, or cracks, when hit hard, unlike steel, which will bend, and can be re-heated and re-formed. Not to mention, if RR's aluminum fenders are a guide, $1,500ish. WAY too much money for my budget. I do appreciate the nod to lightness, though :)

As for the Xenons, those are on the list, as people are telling me the BW's are quite stiff. I'm trying to decide between those and BW. I think plastic is gonna be the way to go. Xenons and their flexibility is sounding better and better. Grr. Why couldn't I win a raffle at Jeep Beach? :) Mark W.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts