JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Vendor
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

LINK to page with more pictures

Woodworking skillz are required (or at least highly recommended) to do this mod, with this method. I would NOT recommend this procedure to anybody who is not proficient in the use of a hand router.
Appropriate prep and rough cut steps are not included in this write-up.

If there is interest, I'm thinking about making a jig that folks would be able to rent out. I figure rent would have to be about $100. If you have interest in this, please let me know.

Required Tools:
Router
1.5 inch or longer straight router bit
30” straight router template
(3) clamps
(2) 3’ 1 X 3 or equivalent support boards
1 sharp razor knife
Cutoff wheel or Makita style grinder
Sanding Block with Sandpaper (100 grit)
Flexible steel straight-edge (ruler)
Optional Heat-Gun

- Cut liner support material as indicated in pictures below.

Side Cut:

- Using the highest point at the rear of the fender and 1/8” above the highest point of the side marker light as guide points, clamp the router template in place so as indicated in picture:

- Clamp the two support boards, one at each end of the router template as indicated in the following picture. Use the support boards to hold the router template, vertical. Double check the alignment in the previous step and final cut with the router. The final cut will need to be against the cutter direction, for the best possible finish. The cut needs to start before the side marker cutout and go into the front fender edge.

- The routed edge will leave some very thin plastic material on the inside edge of the fender. This can easily be trimmed with a razor knife.

Front cut:

- Measure and mark the inside front edge at 210 mm as indicated in picture:

- Using two clamps, support the straight-edge with a support board on each end. I held the straight-edge vertical, to ensure a level cut. This is what I thought would look best, but I look forward to what others come up with.
- Using a razor knife, cut a guide line along the straight-edge. Heating the material with a heat-gun makes the plastic very easy to cut. I recommend only heating the material from the inside (underside) of the fender.

- The final cut is done hand-holding a straight-edge, using a razor knife.

Final Finish:

- A good final finish can be made, using a sanding block. BE CAREFULL WITH THE FOLLOWING. After sanding, a butane torch can be used to go over the sanded finish. The torch can be very quickly passed over the sanded areas. DO NOT HOLD THE TORCH ON THESE PLASTIC SURFACES. And do not use a torch as a heat gun. The plastic melts really easily.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts