JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We've been talkin about this for a while....Most of you know I'm alittle crazy, maybe dumb! Has anyone else tried to run the whole trail in one day, as fast as possible? I'm very curious if someone other than us, has a record time through. I'm pretty sure not many people would attempt such a trip.....but some of you are as crazy or more than me. Our current record is 5 hours 18 minutes staging to staging. I'm thinkin under 4 hours is doable....:eek:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Back in '98, way before they improved the little sluice and big sluice, I ran the Rubicon with a group of friends. We started at Loon Lake and made it to just before the big sluice for camp that night. The next morning we continued on, and one of the vehicles in our group broke an axle shaft halfway up Cadillac Hill. He had spare axle shafts, ... in his truck, ... at Loon Lake. We all talked it over, and because my vehicle was in better shape than the others, I got nominated to go back to the staging area at Loon Lake to get his spare axle shaft. I left at about 11 AM, and made it back to Loon Lake, retrieved the axle shaft, and then returned back to Cadillac Hill before dusk that evening. So that is about 75% of the trail, twice, in one rather short day (starting at 11 AM).

·
Registered
254 Posts
Tom Wayes and Kevin Yoder took their Ultra4 cars from Loon to Vista and back in an afternoon a couple years back. They passed us as they were going both directions. I don't know what their total time was, but they weren't racing or anything - it's just that those Ultra4 cars don't even notice the Rubicon's small obstacles. They were just out for an afternoon cruise. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
8 hours solo from Airport camp to Observation point taking my time. 20 miles of nothing but rocks. 01 TJ, Rubicon axles, 3.25" lift, 33s. Not idling in 1 LO like everyone else. It was a Friday with hardly any traffic. Got lost twice for a 1/2 hour each, and one jacking. One dent on fuel tank skid on BS, one use of slider on Cad hill. 4 locker uses, 2 out of WWSs, and 2 up to Cad hill. The trail is not hard, but very tiring to do in one day. Someday I'll run it out of Loon on a 2 dayer.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses....I would really like to know how fast an Ultra4 could do it!! However since I'll never own one...I guess I'll just have to see how fast a JK can do it! The 5 hour trip was at night, with 5 JK's....

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
I did the trail with a guy with a TJ on 35's and open diffs in 6 hours he could drive but was slow and we spent some time in traffic on Cadillac hill. I would thing 4 hours would be doable.

·
Super Moderator
6,179 Posts
I did the trail with a guy with a TJ on 35's and open diffs* in 6 hours he could drive but was slow and we spent some time in traffic on Cadillac hill. I would thing 4 hours would be doable.

(*if more folks began real wheeling on the tougher level trails w/ 35's and open diffs, there'd be many better off-road drivers[jmho] because it forces ya to learn to actually drive ... albeit slower than most can contend with)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
If we are talking about going through from the start at the dam and finishing were most air up before going into Tahoe in a JK ...then..

If your trying to race to get the fastest time ..some think it can be done in 2 hours, then you will be hauling ass and not what most would consider treading lightly.

Buggies and ultras etc...guess that's a different story.

I see the Rubicon differently than some-most..I'm out to enjoy the trail and the scenery and leave it as undisturbed as I can so it will be their for others.

Racing..would love to on trails better suited.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
I fully agree with you on taking time and enjoying where you are. But as far as a time run I think done responsibly can be a lot of fun. As far as tearing up the trail, I don't really see that unless you are in a race vehicle trying to beat a 2 hour time. I think the biggest concern would be disturbing others on the trail. So in this case I would say slow it down when others are present on the trail and have fun.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If we are talking about going through from the start at the dam and finishing were most air up before going into Tahoe in a JK ...then..

If your trying to race to get the fastest time ..some think it can be done in 2 hours, then you will be hauling ass and not what most would consider treading lightly.

Buggies and ultras etc...guess that's a different story.

I see the Rubicon differently than some-most..I'm out to enjoy the trail and the scenery and leave it as undisturbed as I can so it will be their for others.

Racing..would love to on trails better suited.
We're not "Racing" through.... It's just a fast pace most couldn't or wouldn't do. No way do I find the pace we sometimes run as hurting the trail. We know the trail very well and can bypass the time consuming sections. At some point years ago some Nut Case had to try a speed run through. That's more what I meant.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts