JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so there seem to be about 3 different companies selling replica Smittbilt XRC bumpers. But they are selling for less than $100 difference from the real ones.

So what's the draw to these? I could understand if there was a big price difference, but for so small amount, having a company behind it might make sense.

·
Registered
575 Posts
chinese crap in a different chinese crappy box. most things with smittybilt name on it is also made with other names on them for different price points. at least go with smittybilt so you can call 4WP and tell them how much it sucks when you have any fitment issues or quality issues

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have never seen a knock off smittybuilt bumper in person. Seems strange they would replicate a part like that though. It is probably the same thing. It would be like replicating a JC Penny suit instead of a Gucci suit.

I don't know. That is pretty much what I see around here in Dallas. Procomp lifted Jeeps wrapped in Smittybuilt. Seems to make them happy. Maybe they have gotten better.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would not get replica accessories for my rig beacuse I'm not sure about the quality of those and probably they have poor warranty.

·
A JKO DICK
3,690 Posts
Keep hatin' on Smitty if you want, but my bumpers/tire carrier, winch and compressor all work great. Everything lined up and bolted on fine. I did it all myself with a floor jack and no help. No rust after wheeling on the beach in the woods and DD'ing for almost a year.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I don't know. That is pretty much what I see around here in Dallas. Procomp lifted Jeeps wrapped in Smittybuilt. Seems to make them happy. Maybe they have gotten better.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Probably dudes who havnt been around the Jeep community long enough to know whats good for them.

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
So, does that mean the bolt holes line-up the first time? :hide:
Funny. My XRC rear lined up fine, too, when I put it on with the help of my (then) 8 year old. Then, 4 years later when I removed it to sell to a forum member it lined up just fine on his, too.

I realize Smittybilt ain't the top of the line stuff, but for the price, it ain't too bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow my first post, I can tell u most companies make their stuff overseas, if its an affordable price for us who are on a small budget, chances are its made in china, example body armor, smittybilt, and some random other brands all buy the same roof rack from china, they all just slap their name on it, I know I bought it. And so far a year later its still in pretty good shape on my jku. The real issue iis that American made products are just too expensive. Wether its production overhead too high or just greed, I'd buy all my stuff American made if i could, it would mean i would be better off financially, lol

·
Registered
351 Posts
Ok, so there seem to be about 3 different companies selling replica Smittbilt XRC bumpers. But they are selling for less than $100 difference from the real ones.

So what's the draw to these? I could understand if there was a big price difference, but for so small amount, having a company behind it might make sense.
chinese crap in a different chinese crappy box. most things with smittybilt name on it is also made with other names on them for different price points. at least go with smittybilt so you can call 4WP and tell them how much it sucks when you have any fitment issues or quality issues
^ This right here. You couldn't pay me to put a Shittybilt bumper on my Jeep. I'd trust the factory bumper over a Shittybilt bumper.

The only thing I like about Shittybilt products is that some of them look good, but I know under that "disguise" lies a typical, made in China, piece of shit.

·
Registered
619 Posts
If your going to buy a shoddy slave labor built product, you may as well purchase the cheapest one you can find. I try to look for used American or I make my own. I do have the Smitty winch plate (Lots of reaming and prying to get it to work) but that will be replaced once I build a front bumper.

·
Registered
351 Posts
If your going to buy a shoddy slave labor built product, you may as well purchase the cheapest one you can find. I try to look for used American or I make my own. I do have the Smitty winch plate (Lots of reaming and prying to get it to work) but that will be replaced once I build a front bumper.
Post of the day.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a Westin front bumper and Smitty winch plate and tire carrier. I've had absolutely ZERO issues with any of them. Some people just have more money than brains. IMO unless you have real-world experience with a company or product STFU about it. Nobody wants to hear your damned theories.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Not defending smitty. I don't own any, but everyone here, where was your phone made?
Unless its a blackberry, that'll be china.
Pot, kettle, black.

sent from my difference engine.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts