JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long should these things last, and what do you recommend as a replacement?

The reason I ask is that I noticed it was leaking much like a shock would when it wears out. My '07 has about 38k miles on it. Would have thought they would last longer than that.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Any mods? Not that it necessarily matters but just curious because it can contribute.

36k on mine with 35's and a 4" lift and never had a problem with it. In fact, if you want it I'll send it to you. I replaced it when I replaced my front end.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No mods as of yet, but don't planning on going past a 2.5 BB w/shocks and 35's. I was planning on adding a bit beefier stabilizer to accommodate the heavier tread of BFG AT's when I get them this winter.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Mine started leaking after only 6 months. I know I could've had it replaced under warranty, but went with a Skyjacker instead (Skyjacker's are pretty inexpensive).

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I'm running the TF BB and i have BFG AT's. Still running stock stabilzer after 30K miles. I'll replace it when it leaks or get crushed....or if i come across extra cash to throw away on the jeep.

I want the bilstein SS when i upgrade. I think part number is BE3F842H0

·
Registered
871 Posts
I'm now working on my 3rd at 42K.

First was crushed around 32K, but it didn't leak. It just didn't have much travel.
Second I had it misaligned with the Woods relocation bracket, so it started leaking right away. I replaced both my hub bearings, and I still had a wiggle at speed.
Third is now in (and feeling much better). I took the time to get the alignment right this time. Hopefully it will last longer than #2.

·
Vendor
1,074 Posts
Ours usually last 4-5K miles (all offroad miles) on stock Rubicon wheels with 2.5" lifts. We replace them with a Rancho 5407. Then only need to replace them if they get smashed.

Note: The bigger stabilizer requires that you slightly turn the tie-rod side mount downward to allow full range of movement. OR you can get an aftermarket relocator (Poly, RK, etc). On most of our Jeeps, I chose to use the stock mounts, since I would rather have that be the first line of defense rather than the tie rod itself.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Ours usually last 4-5K miles (all offroad miles) on stock Rubicon wheels with 2.5" lifts. We replace them with a Rancho 5407. Then only need to replace them if they get smashed.

Note: The bigger stabilizer requires that you slightly turn the tie-rod side mount downward to allow full range of movement. OR you can get an aftermarket relocator (Poly, RK, etc). On most of our Jeeps, I chose to use the stock mounts, since I would rather have that be the first line of defense rather than the tie rod itself.
very smart logic behind that statement!!!! That pretty much answers if i should get that steering stabilzer relocater bracket!

Just curious, why do you like the Rancho 5407's over the other brands?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Bout how much does the Rancho run, Nena?

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
What do you think of it compared to the Bilstein?
It's cheaper, both in terms of what it costs and what you get. There is nothing wrong with the Rancho stabilizer and they work well, but I'd choose Bilstein over Rancho given the choice.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
How long should these things last

How long should these things last, and what do you recommend as a replacement?

The reason I ask is that I noticed it was leaking much like a shock would when it wears out. My '07 has about 38k miles on it. Would have thought they would last longer than that.
Jeep nicely installed them as the first part to hit the rocks when you off road. :shaking: They last about one rock hit.... :bawling: Then you upgrade to the woods relocation bracket and a better stabilizer. :smokin:

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
I have the Woods relocation bracket and Poly Performance stabilizer & clam-shell tie-rod clamp. Feels great- no issues.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
It's cheaper, both in terms of what it costs and what you get. There is nothing wrong with the Rancho stabilizer and they work well, but I'd choose Bilstein over Rancho given the choice.
Thanks for the info. I can justify an extra $30 for the Bilstein over the Rancho but when looking at brands like Poly or Fox I have a hard time justifying the extra.

·
Registered
491 Posts
my stock one lasted about 7k miles, it got bent at some point but i never noticed til it started leaking. just stuck another stock one that Larry had in the jeep graveyard. it came off his when he upgraded, its dented but it doesn't leak

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
my stock one lasted about 7k miles, it got bent at some point but i never noticed til it started leaking. just stuck another stock one that Larry had in the jeep graveyard. it came off his when he upgraded, its dented but it doesn't leak
I'm picturing a foggy night, full moon, moaning zombies, old rusty jeeps, rattlesnakes, etc. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts