JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having intermittent starting trouble with my jeep for some time now. I have ran down all of the know problems (I.E. Factory battery, WMU Unit, Neutral Safety Module) the last time it happened instead of jumping it, I jumped the ground only and the truck started. I have read all of the intermittent starting threads on the site and now believe that I have to change or add another ground strap. I have 2 questions, (1st) I broke the hood ground some time ago, and grounded it directly to the battery since it no longer reached the hood, could this be the problem? What is that ground strap for? I see that it attached to the firewall first, before it went up to the hood? (2nd) where is the main factory ground, I would like to follow it and see if there is any corrosion, or breaks etc, I spend a lot of time the beach and winter road salt conditions, so maybe im loosing factory ground, IDK?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Not sure about the ground. I had an intermittent no start problem which turned out to be the key. Long story short, my key was run over which cracked the circuit board inside. This caused an intermittent lack of communication with the security system and a no start condition at times. Just wanted to throw that out there in case you still have the problem after tracking the ground theory down. Good luck.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RiggerMike

Thanks for the heads up, but I don’t think that’s the case. I just had the WMU recall done on the jeep, and they re-flashed the key. Actually they only did 1. So the spare only starts the car then is shuts off immediately. I have to go back to the dealer ship to get the 2nd key done and want to be able to tell them what I want done next. With all of the mods and shit that I have done to the jeep, it’s all the dealership can do is point to the aftermarket shit. So I have taken the approach of telling them what I want them to check out. Like I showed them the TSB in the WMU and low and behold it was bad, replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am now having the same problem with my 2008. It began a couple of weeks ago and is getting worse. If I put the transmission in nuetral it will start fine. I'm going to next check all off my grounds to make sure they are good. I would take it into the stealership to have it checked out, but I've already had issues with them over my lifetime warrenty because of mods I have made. Also I don't really trust there techs to fix the problems anyways.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hitekrdnk43

Well I wish you luck and hope that it works out. I brought the neutral safety module, and shifter cable adjustment up when the truck went in for the WMU unit and supposable they were both ok. My dealership that I’m using now isn’t that bad, the rep that I liked and told you straight isn’t there any more so, it is what it is.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The ground strap to the hood will not cause the bad starting issue. It is there for 2 reasons that I can think of. Primarily as a radio frequency ground (thats why it is a braid and not a wire). It helps keep electrical noise from radiating in or out of the engine compartment through the hood and turns the hood into a good ground plane for the antennas. Second, it acts as a DC ground to prevent galvanic corrosion on the hinges and hood latch.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hood Ground

Alter Ego, Ok that makes sense. So right now I have it grounded to the battery terminal. If I detach it, it should have no impact is what you’re saying. So that leaves me with a bad factory ground. Right now I have my batteries grounded to the factory ground lug on the passage side fender wall. Where r the main grounding straps for the jeep?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I've read in the past about ground issues, paint seems to be the issue and the one that seemed to get more mention was the ones in the footwell kick panel areas that ground the computer and other electronics.

Of course I pour a few cups of warm water and baking soda over my entire battery area as a extra precaution as well.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rob4607

was the ones in the footwell kick panel areas that ground the computer and other electronics.
Ok this sounds promising; can you point me in the right direction? On another not, I read in another tread that you should increase your grounds when you increase your amperage (I.E.) dual battery. It seems like a lot of people are adding a ground to the engine block? Can any one illuminate me on this?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am now having the same problem with my 2008. It began a couple of weeks ago and is getting worse. If I put the transmission in nuetral it will start fine. I'm going to next check all off my grounds to make sure they are good. I would take it into the stealership to have it checked out, but I've already had issues with them over my lifetime warrenty because of mods I have made. Also I don't really trust there techs to fix the problems anyways.
Ok, so I went over all my ground wire connections and they seemed fine. So I added an extra ground wire to the engine. Since doing that it seems my problem is gone now. I used 10 ga. wire and ran it to one of the bolts that mount the altinator.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hitekrdnk43

So I added an extra ground wire to the engine. Since doing that it seems my problem is gone now. I used 10 ga. wire and ran it to one of the bolts that mount the altinator.
I’m glad to hear that worked out for you and I hope that I did the trick. Let me ask you a couple of? Do you have dual batteries? I was talking about this with a couple of my friends and one of them said that a rule of thumb for dual batteries is whenever you add amperage you should add ground? If this is true then I was thinking of adding an additional 1 for the factory battery and leaving the factory ground lug for the 2nd battery, any thoughts? Why did you choose the alternator bolt as a location?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I’m glad to hear that worked out for you and I hope that I did the trick. Let me ask you a couple of? Do you have dual batteries? I was talking about this with a couple of my friends and one of them said that a rule of thumb for dual batteries is whenever you add amperage you should add ground? If this is true then I was thinking of adding an additional 1 for the factory battery and leaving the factory ground lug for the 2nd battery, any thoughts? Why did you choose the alternator bolt as a location?
No, I have a single battery, but I did replace it last month with a higher amp battery. The only reason I chose the alternator bolt is from a search of this website. I had found a thread were someone else was having the same problem and added the ground at the same location and it worked for them. Also it was just really easy to connect to that bolt. I just added some plastic wire conduit over the wire and a couple of zip ties to keep it off the hot engine.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is where I am @

If there is a bolt or stud, remove it and check to make sure they are clean and corrosion/rust free. Clean the affected areas and the threads if needed.
I did this all ready
It is recommend to check the existing grounds and cables on the engine and for the pcm.
How do I do this?
Check the TRS connector for signs of moisture or corrosion and clean connections
What and where is the TRS?
add a 8 gauge or larger wire between engine and battery negative, from body to engine, and engine to trans bell housing to tie the grounds together. .
I don’t know if it’s me, but this sounds complicated

These quote are from this tread, http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12985

·
Registered
148 Posts
... I would take it into the stealership to have it checked out, but I've already had issues with them over my lifetime warrenty because of mods I have made. Also I don't really trust there techs to fix the problems anyways.
WTF? Do I work for the only dealership who doesnt void warranties/ refuse to repair/ hassle jeep guys and gals who modify their jeeps?

The only thing we cant or wont warranty is blatant problems directly caused by a mod

Our local rep even told us, a lift and tires does not void warranty unless it blatantly breaks something...otherwise, cover it

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
WTF? Do I work for the only dealership who doesnt void warranties/ refuse to repair/ hassle jeep guys and gals who modify their jeeps?

The only thing we cant or wont warranty is blatant problems directly caused by a mod

Our local rep even told us, a lift and tires does not void warranty unless it blatantly breaks something...otherwise, cover it
Pretty much.

You've given the correct legal answer above according to the Mag/Moss Act

·
Registered
24 Posts
had the same issue, the dealership installed a second ground strap, after trying a bunch of different things, all resulting with my jeep not starting the next morning once home

1 - 20 of 25 Posts