JKOwners Forum banner

161 - 180 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
very entertaining thread

ExWrench - I read your build thread from start-to-end, today. I am in awe of your design and fabrication skills, as well as appreciating your humor and perseverance. Thanks for putting forth the effort to document your thinking and work.

If a guy had to be at home feeling ill, this was the best use of the day that I could think of - er - that is, the best use of the day of which I could imagine. :grin2:

Great rig! Beautiful work!

js

·
Random Dude
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Awesome work man! And it appears your trimming skill are on their A game.
Thank you Sir!

It's no . . . :cwm13: . . . "buggy smuggling" project like yours but this little re-do has kept me busy & I'm diggin' my "new" Heep :rockon:

I often attribute to good luck that which may be the result of exhaustive forethought, but I'll take it either way, and it makes me really happy when oddball custom ideas end up working out well :laughing:

ExWrench - I read your build thread from start-to-end, today. I am in awe of your design and fabrication skills, as well as appreciating your humor and perseverance. Thanks for putting forth the effort to document your thinking and work.

If a guy had to be at home feeling ill, this was the best use of the day that I could think of - er - that is, the best use of the day of which I could imagine. :grin2:

Great rig! Beautiful work!

js
Wow, thanks! :beer:

It's awesome to hear that some of my tech. and/or bullshit are appreciated :D

. . . and thank you for not ending that sentence in a preposition :laughing:

·
Random Dude
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #164 (Edited)
OK, too tired to start installing the B&M shifter tonight (fawkin' stoked about that upgrade :rockon: ) so I'll try to catch this donkey show up :laughing:

Boring shit that's worth doing anyway:

All 4 factory bump stop bumpers got renewed. ̶W̶O̶O̶H̶O̶O̶ . . . meh . . .

They hadn't failed completely yet, but they were fixin' to, soon.
To me, over 68K miles with some wheeling thrown in = good enough performance to replace with same, no need to "upgrade".

Aannnd . . . slightly less "meh" (hopefully) :

I reaaaally dig it when the gods of saved hardware smile upon my ̶j̶u̶n̶k̶y̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶a̶r̶t̶ garage engineering projects :D

Saved the 2 leftover spacers (of course) from recent replacement of the rear shocks.

I was going to cut one to position tailgate end of the tire swing link vertically, but opted for a stack of washers (because field-adjustable).

I eyeballed those 2 spacers, and they looked the same length as the gap between the two 1/2"-20 jam nuts on my link setup after I had it adjusted exactly where i needed it.

. . . I'll be damned - they're within 1/6 of a turn of needing to be filed down ( = good enough to call miraculous good fortune).

Maybe I'm easily amused, but having 2 pieces of ~"badass garbage" work perfectly w/o modification on something for which they were not intended really makes me happy.

Reused the scrap of spiral wrap that covered the 1/2-20 threaded rod previously (because cheapass):

Tire swing free end now lives ~1/2" further rearward than before, and here's a good close-up of my vertical support system in action:

Shovel clearance (after wrapping it around new bigger tire) to sheet metal and glass was definitely a consideration:

Had to drill that zip tie hole at the last minute and touch-up in place, but 3rd brake light wiring is worry-free now.
Door closed fully. Notice snubbers hit on UHMW now.

Door open fully. Wiring is hap-hap-happy.

JKO said:
Dood! Enough with the tire carrier already! What else ya' got?
OK, OK . . . jeebus, y'all are demanding . . .

SPOILER ALERT! Ending = "droopier than old man balls" . . .

My brake lines were maxed out by my current shocks (and I knew this).

Pay attention to the angle between the sway bar and end link.

Here we are with the shock removed and the suspension droop limited by the top of the LCA hitting on the axle-side LCA bracket.

And, here we are with the new shock installed, and the suspension droop limited by the top of the LCA hitting on the axle-side LCA bracket.

Confession: I lied to you all earlier (please accept my sincere apology).

In my forkin' around post, I said there would be another 1.25" of droop travel. This was wrong.

My old shocks were not using the last inch of compression travel, so they went ~8" from bump to droop.
My new shocks are not using the last 0.18" of compression nor 0.5" of droop, so they go 10.5" from bump to droop.

Bump height has not changed.

I just picked up 2.5" of droop travel and wheel travel! :bounce:

Ending = "droopier than old man balls" . . .

·
Premium Member
4,087 Posts
Any worries of the sway bar heading off in the wrong direction after full droop? It looks like a straight line with the end link.

What job does the golf ball have?

Damn fine engineering you have going on there.

·
Random Dude
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #166 (Edited)
Any worries of the sway bar heading off in the wrong direction after full droop? It looks like a straight line with the end link.

What job does the golf ball have?

Damn fine engineering you have going on there.
The sway bar end links don't quite go all the way straight and I couldn't force 'em to invert, so I think I just dodged that bullet.

I was actually surprised when the LCAs volunteered to be a droop travel limit before the shocks did, but it was a pleasant surprise.

My shocks are a bit longer than my springs, but max. droop travel is a bit shorter than the shocks. I'll take luck - yep, yup, yuuup.

Adding front spring retainer clips, but otherwise plan = fuknrunnit & let inconvenience tell me I need limit straps or longer end links.

Scooby Doo and The Mystery of the Goofy Gawddam Golf Ball:

That slam latch was disassembled and put together backwards to use in a manner that neither God nor the manufacturer intended (huge surprise, right? :laughing: ).

Because of that, the "L" that forms a lever (red horizontal tab thingy in pic above) is pointing the "wrong" way, so a drilled golf ball & scrap of paracord make a toggle upon which to pull to disengage the tire swing & tailgate hold-open thingamachingus. It may look redneck / ghetto / hack / hillbilly / whatever, but it works perfectly and it cost less than a buck (I didn't buy the golf ball).

Function over form. :rockon: Side benefit: custom modification with ~zero resale value if some asshole steals my Jeep :D

Here's a pic that kinda' shows the fawked up hooked-finger reach-around you would have to do if not for the goofy golf ball toggle:

That was with a 35, and the ~Bat Cave is even more hidden nowadays (because of the tires you're ridiculing in the 37s thread :laughing: ).

·
Random Dude
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #167 (Edited)
A few random details, and then something that really blows . . .

My rear suspension rode low in its travel, and I was using the bump stops more than I thought I should.
However, the spring rate seemed "perfect-ish", and 2 other springs I'd tried just didn't feel as good.
I was happy enough with the rear springs that, once they started to sag a bit, I replaced them with identical new ones.
So, I swapped out my 1/2" Teraflex spring guide spacers for some 1" ones to pick the ass end up half an inch.

I picked up another 1/8" of lift in the back when I hacked up some UHMW scraps to make pads for the lower spring perches.

I wasn't bullshitting you when I said the B&M shift lever positioned the ball right around where mine did:

If anyone was interested but didn't understand the explanation earlier, here's where I'm using a zip tie to restrain the front inner fender.

OK, so . . . this is not one of my biggest fans:

I bought a little 5.3" SPAL fan to try to keep my OBA compressor happy when airing up.
First, I mocked up one idea I had just in case it would work out:

. . . aaaannnnd - :nono: that didn't work :flipoff:
When I got the fan high enough to clear everything with the hood closed, the angle and airflow were for shit.
Oh well, at least I tried the "easy" option. The difficult route ended up much cooler in every way.

So, with a hood mount off the table, the plan was to mount the fan beside the OBA compressor.
After considering a couple wild options, I settled on a bracket mounted to the compressor mounting plate.
Digging through my scrap pile, I came across the L-shaped bracket left over from replacing my garage door opener last year.
I didn't use the new L-bracket because I had already ridiculously dialed in the door link assembly using the old bracket.

So, that left this little chunk of oddly-shaped mild steel up for grabs:

I had only drilled one non-stock hole in it at this point. Many more holes coming soon, because that thing blocks airflow too much.

Random shit in the garage to the rescue again (my mockup sessions are very informal):

And that allowed me to mark a line so I knew where to bend.

I'd love to show you a photo of my press brake, but I don't have one.
This bending apparatus is a piece of shallow u-channel, a steel scrap, and a clamp.

Got more than 15 pics, so I'll break this here and pick it up for the OBA fan wrap-up in a post to follow immediately-ish :D

·
Random Dude
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #168 (Edited)
So, pile-o-scraps bender made the flat bracket into this:

Solid starting point geometry-wise, but too discouraging to the 313 CFM of air trying to cruise through.

Easy enough fix, you know the drill . . .

Holes have big-ass chamfers on both sides to help 'em invite the air to maintain course and speed. Also added 2 mounting bolt holes in the bottom tab.

And a little softening with a stripping wheel on a 4-1/2" angle grinder to smooth all edges and make the bracket aerodynam-ish :laughing:

Blue paint of course, and recessed the pins from the connector and made 'em into a two-prong plug for use with female spade terminals.

The connector that came on the SPAL fan is an OEM connector for . . . :dunno: something I don't own :laughing:

Here's a detail of how the fan bracket mounts to the compressor mounting plate.

Extra length of mounting tab with unneeded factory hole was cut off (bolt would've hit brake line underneath).

This gives you an idea of the vertical placement with respect to the OBA compressor (currently a Viair 400C).

And here's an aerial view showing you where it's moving air from and to.

RESULTS: FAAAHHHRRRKIN' OSSUM! :bounce: The fan absolutely kicks ass.

Today, from compressor off at zero PSI, I aired up 4 37s from 8 - 30 PSI in 17 minutes.
EDIT - NOTE: filled to 30 PSI hot, tires were 26.5 - 27 PSI cold the next morning (just as expected).
30 PSI was for easy early-morning math, I usually air up to 31.5 hot to arrive at 28 cold.​
I think cooling the compressor shaved a minute or 2 off each tire, and I know I got nowhere near the thermal protection shutoff on the compressor (no horrific time-suck = a time-saver any day).

This project was horribly frustrating mid-project, but the payoff made it all worthwhile. Fawk yeah!

Unless some weird problem arises that I've not anticipated, I'm calling the OBA fan project a slam-dunk, kick-ass win! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
This build is awesome from start to now! You've given me several ideas for my Jeep that I plan on accomplishing in the near future. Thanks for sharing so much information

·
Random Dude
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
BAD ass recycling and the fan mount looks billet great!!
Thanks Gui!

It makes my day to find a volunteer in my scrap pile with "unrecognized potential" - makes me feel like an arteest :D .

If I could sling bullshit as well as I can a 4-1/2" angle grinder, I'd skip the paint and sell shit like that to hipsters as "repurposed", "upcylced", "industrial", or maybe even "steampunk" art for ~$300, instead of bolting it on my Jeep as a ~$10 bracket that I have . . . :dunno: . . . too many hours into :laughing:

This build is awesome from start to now! You've given me several ideas for my Jeep that I plan on accomplishing in the near future. Thanks for sharing so much information
Thanks mille657! :beer:

Glad you found some inspiration. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

I'm running out of bullshit to type about in this thread, so help is always appreciated :D

·
Super Moderator
6,175 Posts

The fan and bracket have renewed my optimism - at least fir today - due to the ingenuity, Ex.
Extremely interesting , useful and typically brilliant.

That is how this Jeep thing is supposed to be done.

I’m being serious. I just think that last update about the fan is the tits, bud.

@ExWrench , ftw!

:jeep2:

·
Random Dude
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #173

The fan and bracket have renewed my optimism - at least fir today - due to the ingenuity, Ex.
Extremely interesting , useful and typically brilliant.

That is how this Jeep thing is supposed to be done.

I’m being serious. I just think that last update about the fan is the tits, bud.

@ExWrench , ftw!

:jeep2:
Thanks j3ff3ry!

I've been meaning to do the OBA fan for awhile now, and an upcoming trip lit the fire under my ass.

I was bummed when the hang-from-hood solution didn't work out, but now I'm happy it didn't - I wouldn't change a thing about this setup :D

Considering how I like to second-guess my work and redo shit when I find room for improvement, "don't fuck with it" is a great project status :laughing:

·
Random Dude
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
too cool, nice job, the whole thread is awesome, but that's the tits right there! :|
Thanks Texas_Jester! :beer:

For a modification that seriously blows, I'm pretty happy with it :laughing:

·
Random Dude
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #176 (Edited)
*cough* Wow - 11 months' worth of dust on my thread :homersimpson:

Between a bit of scheduled house work and a few unscheduled emergencies, my garage saw near-zero fab. for 8.5 months :suicide:

All that bullshit is over and I can catch up on life, so let's dial the wayback machine to a (pre-goat rodeo) time known as last summer :laughing:

My oddball fender fookery worked great (please excuse the poser shot) - tires stuffed nicely and didn't rub:

For my B&M shifter + shift lever, I played around with a handful (no pun intended) of shift handle options.
Here's most of them:

I burned through ~20 bucks in hardware and little time to try a bunch of options.
Good learning experience, dirt-cheap prototyping, would do it all again.
It was also a Jeep project I could do while effectively garage-less.

By far, the most fun to drive with is 2nd from left above, giving me this Rat Fink - esque monster:

Only problem with that = it made reaching the HVAC controls a potentially unsafe shit show, so . . . fawk that one.

The winner of the eclectic handle contest was this one (the one with a knob in the lineup photo above):

Offset to the right to center the knob where it "should" be, and back a bit so I don't punch the dash while shifting.

WHEW!

I've been lagging on posting that ^^^ little bit of stuff for literally over half a year.
I'd bet nobody else was pissed about it, but I was (a little :laughing: )

There's more, but I want to keep that all in 1 (15 image max. ) post, so this one's a mini-post, more or less.

:idea: let's use up that 15-image quota: :bounce: :rockon: :thefinger: :thefinger: :thefinger:

OK, with that done - on to some "subtle-ification" . . .

·
Random Dude
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #177 (Edited)
Still not Fast, but now Less Furious :laughing:

I've never been completely happy with the exhaust, so the wild-hair-up-ass genie finally gave me a shove.

To make room for a resonator (and because it's a bit thrashed) this 2.5 gallon Viair tank had to go:

You can also see where the exhaust ran right up to the rear track bar, then shot out at the least-shitty angle I could find.

Fun fact: if you land on an air tank and smash the bejeezus out of its mounting bracket, disassembly may be a pain in the 'taint.

I was this >< close to cutting shit apart wildly to pull that damned tank (I was so pissed :laughing: )

OK, tank drama over, clear palette with the exception of the track bar cock-blocking my dreams of an over-axle exhaust:

So . . . Teraflex TB coming out, Metalcloak TB going in:

The Metalcloak TB only gained me ~1.5 inches, but that was enough to let the magic happen

With my new gold bling in place (will get painted next time I pull it out), I could start building my exhalation super highway:

Don't have a TIG, and didn't have the right gas mix (used 75/25), so I did lap joints instead of butt joints. Pipe stretcher is a handy tool :rockon:
No worries about strength, but I coulda' made it purrrdy w/ TIG.
Oh well, fuck it - it's a Jeep exhaust, not a show car anything.

First mockup (and I drove it a couple days this way):

Holy crap - what a difference :bounce: - at least 3dB reduction all around, and no more reverb down low nor raspy chit when I wind it out (often ).
Oh, also in the photo above: the guard for my air tank drain began life as a "military grade" aluminum toe cap in a Timberland safety shoe.

Finished it up this weekend. Welded on that straight hanger rod, and welded the tailpipe and 90 to the (Vibrant 1141) resonator.

Bent another 1/2" SS hanger rod and welded it to a gusset on the Synergy shock mount bar.

The hanger rod already on the recycled tailpipe, I captured in a cut-off and drilled-out piece from a leftover swaybar end link.

The bastardized end link is welded to a scrap bracket w/ anti-rotate tab welded on. Bolts to a single factory crossmember hole.
It's not very flexible compared to the (3) factory-style rubber isolators on my exhaust, but I don't anticipate it cracking or failing.

Most importantly: stuff the driver's side, and you won't smack the exhaust

It's not factory ninja-stealthy, but appreciably quieter and better sounding than a week ago.

Everything about the exhaust that pissed me off before, is gone - WIN!

·
you can go piss up a rope
1,230 Posts
I dont want to crap up your thread with needless commentary, but a couple questions on your exhaust:

- Saw you mentioned you used MIG to burn the muffler and tube together. What kind of wire do you use?

- How did you connect your muffler / tube up to the existing exhaust? Clamp(s)?

·
Random Dude
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #179 (Edited)
I dont want to crap up your thread with needless commentary, but a couple questions on your exhaust:

- Saw you mentioned you used MIG to burn the muffler and tube together. What kind of wire do you use?

- How did you connect your muffler / tube up to the existing exhaust? Clamp(s)?
Dood, no worries - if it's on-topic or tech-related/ educational, crap away! :rockon:

I have a little 2lb spool of .030" ER308L wire just for hacktastically hot-gluing my exhaust system :laughing:

I bought it when I grafted a 50-Series Flowmaster in place of an MBRP loudasfawk fart can.

Clamps will not keep shit from rotating so the asymmetrical Flowmaster had to be hot glued to preserve clocking.

Reused the MBRP piping (good stuff) which has a clamped joint on the uphill run over the stock axle location.

I rerouted things near the apex of that "over-axle" hump and ended with a straight piece of 2.5" 304SS tube.

Needed to run close and parallel under that crossmember, then dive away from the body to make room for the resonator can.
That's also the longest I can make that section and still be able to remove it without disassembling non-exhaust stuff.

That butt joint (the only one) just got a straight stainless band clamp.

It's in a location where failure can't really cause harm. Also, I clocked the clamp up out of the way on final assembly.

From there back, it's a purchased mandrel 90, the Vibrant resonator, and a section of the MBRP exhaust's tailpipe I'd cut off when I did my rear stretch.

I had enough mandrel bends to make whatever tailpipe I would need:

. . . but accommodating something that was born for exactly that job seemed like the perfect ending.
I still have the MBRP exhaust system from end-to-end, I've just changed ~85% between the ends. :laughing:
Also, using that tailpipe helps justify hanging onto a lot of the weird shit I save from project leftovers.

Hoarder?

Nope, not today

Today, genius :thefinger:​

161 - 180 of 210 Posts