JKOwners Forum banner

extended warranty worth it?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  BigMike 
#1 ·
Just looking for thoughts, mine is coming up on my '13 sahara. i have a lift, 35's and i've changed the bumper and lights

#2 · (Edited)
Depends if your dealer is mod friendly. I took my Jeep in a month ago for a steering issue, they said my 35s, not having a steering stabilizer, and lift might have been improperly installed was causing the problem. Could've brought up Magnuson-Moss but I didn't want to deal with their BS. I have the lifetime care added plus and my Jeep is moderately modded so the only thing it's going to be useful for is the engine/trans/electronics.

#3 ·
My first answer is always NO. Also good to wait until the factory warranty is about to expire to buy one if you do.

With that said ... we bought my wife's 2011 Grand Cherokee new in Dec '10 and didn't get an extended warranty. We never had an issue with the vehicle until it has 50k miles on in 2014. The TIPM starting having issues and needed to be replaced at a cost of about $1500. I looked online at factory Chrysler warranties (actually service contracts) and they were decently discounted. I called my sales guy up at the dealer (bought several from him) and asked the best deal he could give me on the 3yr/Unlimited Mileage Max Care warranty. I got it for $1700. Now the vehicle is 95% covered until July 2017.

I'll do the same thing with my '14 Rubicon. If I don't have any problems, I won't buy one. If I have issues before the factory warranty expires I'll get one but will shop all local dealers and online. The only negative about buying online instead of at a local dealer is that you have to get the vehicle inspected first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.