JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All,

I feel like the front end of the Jeep doesn't flex out the way it should. Am I expecting too much from my suspension? I have 3" Poly Coils with Evo spec King shocks for 3-7" lift. Teraflex monster control arms in both the front and rear. I also have the Currie Anti-Rock system both front and rear and I'm happy with how the rear flexes but it feels like something is limiting the front.

Here are a couple pics. Seriously, am I asking too much? Is this about right? I think the shocks might be reaching their limit. This is pretty much max flex for the front. Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks!!

Jamie

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since I have the anti-rock setup I do not disconnect when on the trails. I know some say it does limit the travel but I do like the stability it gives me :) Could that be the only thing limiting me?

·
Banned
15,533 Posts
Probably a dumb question on my part, but since I can't tell from the pics on my phone have you disconnected the sway bar links?

Sent from my cardboard box using Tapatalk
takes 10 mins to disco and perform a test.
^^^ Yerp.

If you're looking for more flex, disconnecting the front swaybars is step one. You'll be really surprised at how much more it gets you.

Since all of my trailriding consists of running at 20mph or less, I really don't see a need for staying connected offroad. YMMV though.

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,650 Posts
The point of the Anti-Rock is to NOT need to disconnect.

As stated - The Currie Antirock® Sway Bar does not need to be disconnected for off-road use.

The Jeep looks like it's flexing quite well in your second picture. What does your sway bar look like at rest on level ground (pavement)?

Marcus

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Marcus,

Thanks! At level on pavement it's slightly above level, maybe 5 degrees above level. Like I said the rear flexes like a beast but I just feel like there's more to be had in the front. I can certainly disconnect the Currie but I bought to NOT have to bother and gain some stability off-road. I've seen others with the Currie pretty much limiting out the sway bar and I don't even come close that but on the rear I do!

Thanks again!!

Jamie

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
theres no need to disconnect an antirock.

but looking at the second pic...what more do you want? thats pretty damn spiffy without having coilovers

unless you want to fles it out so much it unseats a spring, shock length doesn't seem to be an issue. Get it on an RTI ramp for some accurate numbers and i think you'd be surprised how well it stacks up

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
theres no need to disconnect an antirock.

but looking at the second pic...what more do you want? thats pretty damn spiffy without having coilovers

unless you want to fles it out so much it unseats a spring, shock length doesn't seem to be an issue. Get it on an RTI ramp for some accurate numbers and i think you'd be surprised how well it stacks up
x2, that looks like pretty decent flex to me :confused:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Yeah you are pretty much stuffed in the second pic. Even with coilovers you can only stuff it in there so far. For comparison here is a pic of mine. If the ramp was a little steeper I could have probably stuffed it in a little more.

·
RIP Brad
3,760 Posts
Of the guys I wheel with, most don't, but likely because they figured it out prior to purchase... unlike me.

But I do run them and disco'd, I see four or five additional inches. Seems important to me.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I agree with others stating you are getting decent flex. If you have the antirock, don't disconnect. Sure you may see a bit more flex, but who cares.

Keep in mind that massive flex isn't the holy grail of wheeling. Traction is. With lockers, you can not have much flex at all, have two wheels in the air, and still continue forward momentum. Sure, that scenerio isn't as stable, but only one wheel in the air at crawling speeds isn't a concern either.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
With lockers, you can not have much flex at all, have two wheels in the air, and still continue forward momentum. Sure, that scenerio isn't as stable, but only one wheel in the air at crawling speeds isn't a concern either.
Now, imagine how much traction you would have with lockers AND your tires on the ground!

I have witnessed many roll-overs (at least one every couple months). It's almost always that one tire in the air that gets you in the big rocks. But thats not why you need the flex in the rocks, its the increased traction when transitioning from one boulder to the next. Front antirocks tend to get replaced or discoed in my neck of the woods. Flex is very important in the rocks, and is OFTEN the difference between making it and not making it.

Some folks are machining and modifying their antirocks to work like a discoed sway bar, but at that point why even have it?

BTW, the flex in those pics is not good for the lift you are running, about what a stock jeep discoed does. You are losing a lot of droop.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Measure your shock from the base of the stem to the center of the eye with the wheel at full droop. That will tell you how much your down travel you are loosing.

With my poly 3" springs I had to trim the body mount for my antirock not to hit before full bump. I also turned the antirock up to about 10* and it allows me to get within an inch of being disconnected. It has a bit more body roll on road like that though.

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,650 Posts
Marcus,

Thanks! At level on pavement it's slightly above level, maybe 5 degrees above level. Like I said the rear flexes like a beast but I just feel like there's more to be had in the front. I can certainly disconnect the Currie but I bought to NOT have to bother and gain some stability off-road. I've seen others with the Currie pretty much limiting out the sway bar and I don't even come close that but on the rear I do!

Thanks again!!

Jamie
Sounds like you've got it setup right.

Hell disconnect it and give it hell like these other guys said. I just wanted to clarify to the other folks that the anti-rock is designed to allow more flex than a stock sway bar while maintaining a bit of body roll control in the process.

Nothing wrong with disconnecting if you need more wheel travel.

Jeep looks great!

Marcus

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Now, imagine how much traction you would have with lockers AND your tires on the ground!

I have witnessed many roll-overs (at least one every couple months). It's almost always that one tire in the air that gets you in the big rocks. But thats not why you need the flex in the rocks, its the increased traction when transitioning from one boulder to the next. Front antirocks tend to get replaced or discoed in my neck of the woods. Flex is very important in the rocks, and is OFTEN the difference between making it and not making it.

Some folks are machining and modifying their antirocks to work like a discoed sway bar, but at that point why even have it?

BTW, the flex in those pics is not good for the lift you are running, about what a stock jeep discoed does. You are losing a lot of droop.
Meh. I've seen rolls when all the wheels were on the ground too. Its all how stable the vehicle is, in other words, line choice.

I do agree all wheels on ground is good, but then again, a wheel drooping out 3 ft just hanging isn't really providing any forward traction or or stability either. That wheel on the ground only really helps if the suspension has some pressure on it. Judging by the photos presented by the OP, it's flexing fairly well for a stock modded jeep. We aren't talking about a rock buggy here designed to have massive travel.

I've seen leaf sprung locked CJs go places rigs with awesome flex can't do. I suppose this is a never ending debate though. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.