JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Generally I dont like the look of exo cages but I came across these pictures and actually like the way it looks. Just curious how effective they are compared to conventional aftermarket welded in cage?

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,100 Posts
I understand why people run an exo and that one above is one of the nicer ones, but still NO.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I understand why people run an exo and that one above is one of the nicer ones, but still NO.
isnt there a higher chance of hitting, and in turn, bending one of the tubes which would in theory weaken the overall rigidity of an exo cage?

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,100 Posts
isnt there a higher chance of hitting, and in turn, bending one of the tubes which would in theory weaken the overall rigidity of an exo cage?
I guess that all depends on what you make it out of.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Depending on how it was made and installed, it could be just as strong as an inside cage. The good thing about them is, they will protect the body in most cases that without it, you would get body damage. I wouldn't put one on my JK because I usually don't go places that will cause that much body damage but, I do have an old Jeep that it is getting harder to replace doors and sheet metal. I am considering an exo for it.

·
It never ends...
2,904 Posts
We've debated the value of exo for my rigs. Decided against it. Why?
1. Armored fenders and sliders work well when the jeep is on its side.
2. Being able to "configure" the jeep for the trail is an advantage. Some buggy trails are so narrow and tippy that the only way to get through is to have top off and slide through on internal cage.
3. When I have flopped, it's not usually the obstacle itself that put a dent in my sheet metal. Usually it is a rock that just happens to be laying in the right spot. An exo cage won't stop that source of dents.

All in all more disadvantage than advantage for an exo, imo.

·
Jeepineer
1,495 Posts
We've debated the value of exo for my rigs. Decided against it. Why?
1. Armored fenders and sliders work well when the jeep is on its side.
2. Being able to "configure" the jeep for the trail is an advantage. Some buggy trails are so narrow and tippy that the only way to get through is to have top off and slide through on internal cage.
3. When I have flopped, it's not usually the obstacle itself that put a dent in my sheet metal. Usually it is a rock that just happens to be laying in the right spot. An exo cage won't stop that source of dents.

All in all more disadvantage than advantage for an exo, imo.
Pretty good point here. Jeeps in general have this nice feature of being able to remove the roof. I think exo's are more practical on solid/closed body vehicles (yotas, cherokee's, bronco's, etc.). Cleanly fabricating and installing an internal cage is significantly harder, and the cage will not be able to take abuse; the body is always between it and the feature.

my 0.02

1 - 7 of 7 Posts