JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

Well, I slid my Teraflex exhaust spacers on this past weekend and ran into two minor issues. The issue I had a question on - has anyone else installed exhaust spacers and had the connection where the Y-pipe runs into the rest of the exhaust stick?

I knocked the spot weld off in two seconds (I love air tools), pulled the bolt on the exhaust clamp (more on that later), and didn't get any movement. Me and and two other guys tried to pull it by hand, budge it with a pry bar, with a pair of pry bars (one on the Y-pipe side, one on the rest of the exhaust back by an exhaust hanger), and repeated the process after 'gently' working around the pipe with a hand chisel - no luck. Someone suggested hitting it with a torch to head it up, but we were running out of time (auto hobby shop, Sunday evening). Despite the y-pipe to 'rest of exhaust' issue we got the spacers in, bolted everything up, and I haven't had any rattles.

The kit itself was very nice - props to Teraflex for the quality product and top-notch installation video. I would also like to thank Marcus from River City Off Road for getting these out to me in record time. And I would like to thank the two non-JKO members who both whacked the living you know what out of the exhaust to confirm that yes, it really was stuck :thankyou: .

And of course, I couldn't close without thanking Chrysler-Jeep for mis-threading the bolt on the exhaust clamp where the back half of the exhaust meets the y-pipe. That provided me with some extra quality time in the shop and gave the guy with a Toyota in the next bay something to laugh about when he saw what was left of the threads :thefinger: .

· Registered
13,219 Posts
The exhaust clamp nut is not cross-threaded. It is a locknut and usually with any amount of time is reasonably corroded.

The exhaust spacers, any brand, are primarily a pain in the ass to install. They usually end up leaking, and the y-pipe shifting can be a bear...as you found out.

I find that "twisting" the y-pipe about the rest of the exhaust while trying to push it in seems to help. Heating it really isn't going to help. Both parts are of the same material and will have the same thermal expansion rates.

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The exhaust clamp nut is not cross-threaded. It is a locknut and usually with any amount of time is reasonably corroded.

The exhaust spacers, any brand, are primarily a pain in the ass to install. They usually end up leaking, and the y-pipe shifting can be a bear...as you found out.

I find that "twisting" the y-pipe about the rest of the exhaust while trying to push it in seems to help. Heating it really isn't going to help. Both parts are of the same material and will have the same thermal expansion rates.
I ran into the same problem and would like to echo Goodys' advice.

If I had it do do over I would have just replaced the front driveshaft.

· Registered
90 Posts
I removed the rear of the system from the hangers so I could get more leverage on the Y, so yah, before installing the spacers.

· Registered
729 Posts
I sprayed mine with some WD40 and twisted it left and right to free it. After install, my exhaust was making contact with the cross bar (not sure the correct part name). I removed the three bolts that hold it up and put in some larger washers that lowered it around an 8th of an inch. It no longer rattles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.