JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to install an exhaust on my JK and I'm not sure what to get, I'm a little torn between AFE And MBRP. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm not looking to set off car alarms when I drive by, but just a nice low rumble.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
MBRP

·
Registered
218 Posts
So, are there any true gains in swapping the stock? I havent even considered an exhaust until now. What are the pro's and cons here?

·
Registered
315 Posts
MBRP seems to be the choice for cat back exhaust. I didn't want to spend that kind of cash so i opted for a flowmaster super 44. I removed the stock muffler, cut a section out from under the the drivers side door and relocated the muffler. I then bought a 45 elbow i think and a 45 tailpipe maybe. I can't remember the degree of bends, but i got it from auto zone for like 10 bucks total. The muffler cost me 75-80 bucks. So i have a relocated offroad muffler for cheap. Its not pretty by far but it gets the job done and saved me cash for other more important mods. I just don't think its worth spending alot of money on an exhaust that will get you very little gains. Same thoughts on an air intake. I'll get a snorkle before i get an air intake. The 3.8 mini van motor is tough to get good hp/tq numbers out of an exhaust and air intake from what i've read.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the Banks' sound, but from the photos I've seen, the exhaust tip looks like it sticks out a little too far. That's the only reason I haven't picked the Banks.

·
RIP Brad
3,762 Posts
I've got about $18 invested in my glasspack.
Damn it... I went for the "expensive option" of a CHerry Bomb. 23 for the glasspack, 5 for the clamps.... 28 total investment. Of course you will need a sawsall. I've tucked mine in right next to the evap canister... perfect place for it... out of the way and uses all the stock pipes (minus a 20 or so inch section).

Slight drone at lower speeds (none on the highway) and about 30% louder than stock.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Stuck a 40 series flowmaster on mine. Used a 90* from exhaust to muffler then a 45* off the muffler for the tailpipe.

Don't waste your money on one of those $300-$400 exhausts unless you just like getting raped.....:shaking:

Buy a muffler and take a ride to the exhaust shop and have them weld it on.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Question for the guys with the Flowmaster Super 44 ... What is the noise level at highway speeds? Is there any drone? I had a dynomax super turbo on my Cherokee that I liked (could hardly tell it was there at highway speeds)...but it is described as "mellow", whereas the Flowmaster is described as "aggressive".

Thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Damn it... I went for the "expensive option" of a CHerry Bomb. 23 for the glasspack, 5 for the clamps.... 28 total investment. Of course you will need a sawsall. I've tucked mine in right next to the evap canister... perfect place for it... out of the way and uses all the stock pipes (minus a 20 or so inch section).

Slight drone at lower speeds (none on the highway) and about 30% louder than stock.
Unless your behind him then it sounds like a rabid squirel. But for 30 bucks you cant complain.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have the MRBP stock location stainless kit. Nice sound and good power add. But I do have a couple of issues with it. One is it does not seal properly at the joints. Constant exhaust leaks and I have tried the tightening the clamps and sealers around the joints and they just flat out leak. Will need to be welded to seal.

Also, I know some have had issue with the pipe that passes near the drivers side rear shock. It hits the shock boot and burns it on certain shocks. I did not have this problem but I have seen a couple of others post pics of it.

Still a nice exhaust kit but the leaking problem has really pissed me off. I wish someone would have mentioned it to me before I bought mine. Would have went with a Magnaflow instead which seal better.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm going MBRP. :bounce:

·
Registered
262 Posts
There must be a gain to doing an exhaust mod!

For 20 bucks to sound better! Great!
For 400 bucks I better get MPG or HP! And it should be proven some how!

I like the cool sounding/wallet option :)

New to the exhaust end of the JK, but I'm going for the wake the neighbors up at 5 am option. (But I will not spend money to lose any performance.)

Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts