JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the things that prompted me to get a Magna Flow was the tell tale rust on the right side of the exhaust where it mates up with the exhaust tip...I've noticed it on many JK's, and some don't have the problem. I had scrubbed mine, put naval jelly on them, used tarn-x, steel wooled the puppy, and all I got was rust, and not just a stain as some on other boards have suggested...anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
783 Posts
I've got the rust on mine as well. I havn't tried anything to get rid of it though. I'm hoping to do a muffler relocation soon, but might give one of those Hushpower HP-2 mufflers a shot just to see what one of them sounds like.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I've got some pretty serious rust, as in, raised and textured appearing all over the muffler.

Then again, I spend a good deal of time on the beach with all of that salt spray going around. Anything that isn't painted rusts fast underneath there. My fuel skid has taken on this beautiful shade of red/orange.

!c

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Having read some on this very subject after I posted this many months ago, I found that some surface rust is actually good for the type of stainless that's used in this muffler...in fact, I understand it's to be expected...anyway, I still think it looks like $hit on a new vehicle.

·
Registered
783 Posts
thats kinda what I figured. I don't think I've seen a factory exhaust system, atleast on something newer, that wasn't stainless. They all get some kind of rust on them. The odd part though is that I have it on the muffler, but nothing else on the exhaust system. The tubing has turned kinda a brown color from a little surface rust, but the muffler acutally has little spots of rust built up all over it. Isn't 409 the lower grade of stainless, and 304 is the good stuff, usually what an aftermarket system is made of when its all polished up?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
A can of high temp spray bomb does wonders to make the exhaust area clean looking on my JK. In fact living in ohio I douse the entire undercarrige with spray bomb once a year to guard against rust.

My 99 TJ still looked new after 110k miles and Ohio salty winters.

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
One of the things that prompted me to get a Magna Flow was the tell tale rust on the right side of the exhaust where it mates up with the exhaust tip...I've noticed it on many JK's, and some don't have the problem. I had scrubbed mine, put naval jelly on them, used tarn-x, steel wooled the puppy, and all I got was rust, and not just a stain as some on other boards have suggested...anyone else have this issue?
Who cares about a few droplets of rust....jeezzuzzhcristo...is that what owning a Jeep is all about:shaking::shaking::shaking:.......Sorry Dusty I couldn't resist:thefinger:

Yeah ours began discoloring in the same area, like it's extra hot in that spot just before the exit. Plus there were rust spots starting. They say it's a 4xx (can't remember the series) stainless. It is expected to get a "protective" coating of rust::laughing:. If they are going to put that big can back there it should be a better grade of SS IMHO.

A can of high temp spray bomb does wonders to make the exhaust area clean looking on my JK. In fact living in ohio I douse the entire undercarrige with spray bomb once a year to guard against rust.

My 99 TJ still looked new after 110k miles and Ohio salty winters.
Great idea. I did the BBQ paint from Walmart. It's flat black and once it dries the muffler just vanishes:D. I always disliked the look of that big silver muffler from day one. Looks great so far and seems to be holding up well after a month.

·
Vendor
1,316 Posts
If anybody's interested, I've got a bunch of take-off mufflers. $25 plus packing and shipping. If anybody's interested, I'll then figure out how / how much to package them.

[email protected]

·
Registered
962 Posts
400 series will rust, 300 series will not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts