JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I need your opinions. I'm looking to replace my factory muffler/cat back and I'm curious what you have gone with and liked or disliked. My local muffler guy who knows his jeeps said he put a Gibson on his daughters jk and it sounded terrible. I know this isn't a huge cost investment but I'm looking to make the right choice. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
If you're going to have a shop do it, just have them put a magnaflow or flowmaster under the jeep and get it where it's protected.
simple deal to cut out a muffler's length of pipe, slip in the muffler and throw a tailpipe on.

I currently have a flowmaster 40 in the stock location, sounds good but I'm relocating it under the rig where it belongs.
Just snagged a flowmaster super 44 for $68 shipped off ebay.

It's easy on a 4 door and can be done on a 2 door.

If you prefer kits, cooltech and woods both make kits to do it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
MBRP has a clip on youtube. Sounds pretty good.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
i have the stocker someone can have for free also i will be selling my gibson set up soon

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
If you're going to have a shop do it, just have them put a magnaflow or flowmaster under the jeep and get it where it's protected.
simple deal to cut out a muffler's length of pipe, slip in the muffler and throw a tailpipe on.

I currently have a flowmaster 40 in the stock location, sounds good but I'm relocating it under the rig where it belongs.
Just snagged a flowmaster super 44 for $68 shipped off ebay.

It's easy on a 4 door and can be done on a 2 door.

If you prefer kits, cooltech and woods both make kits to do it.
I did the flowmaster 40 series as I have done on all my other vehicles in the past....no complaints.$125.00 installed in stock location.It will not sound like a V-8,but it does sound good and it does open up the exhaust.It works.A simple glasspak will also work,again keeping in mind we have V-6's.I can't justify to myself spending big bux on a more expensive system that doesn't do any more.JMHO :smokin:

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
So is there any advantage to doing the headers? Or something further up than just the muffler?
Sure there is,much better power all across the board,it's spendy though.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
The stock manifold does not look too restrictive to me. That combined with it being N/A I doubt you would see much gain for the cost. Especially if you are leaving the cats in. If you removed the cats and had a way to tune the engine for the new headers you may see a decent gain.

The money it would cost would net you more performance spent somewhere else like gears.

The manifold on the old 4.0 used to break often. I have not heard of breakage issues on the v-6 yet.

also, new headers would not nessesarily be better performance across the board as mentioned. It could, but I assume it would shift the peaks and add power to the higher end. could possibly shift power away from the lower rpms as well. I think the best result would be if it straightend out the power.

Probably sound badass though :grinpimp:

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
If someone was to put headers on,plus the cat-back,you would need to use a programmer/superchip or the like to get the full benifits out of it.I personally don't think the 3.8 is worth all the effort.So back to the original question:a flowmaster or the like,and a cold air,or dropin,is fine.Not much sense is blowing wads of loot for marginal power gains.If you want big power,someone already suggested going with a blower.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Mine is in the stock location,and there it will stay since I don't rock crawl or the like.It's up out of the way,under the stock heat shield and it does just fine where it is. ;)

·
Registered
231 Posts
What is the downside to having no muffler? Will it negatively affect the performance?
Other than passing vehicle inspection or something.....

·
Registered
231 Posts
I like the idea of moving it toward the front....isn't there some type of mod you can do in the back to have that storage compartment larger? Thought I read something about it but cannot find it?

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
What is the downside to having no muffler? Will it negatively affect the performance?
Other than passing vehicle inspection or something.....
Muffler just makes exhaust quiter. Downside to no muffler would only be louder exhaust. I do not belive there has been any negative affect. In theory, it should help performance. I have not seen any Dyno graphs in regards to this so I am not going to make empty assumptions. Basically, if there are any changes in performance it was not noticiable to me and I like to think I have a fairly sensitive butt dyno

I like the idea of moving it toward the front....isn't there some type of mod you can do in the back to have that storage compartment larger? Thought I read something about it but cannot find it?
Wood's sells a tub enlargment kit. use the forum advanced search feature and search "enlargment" under the userid woods

how did I manage to get "sensitive butt" and "enlargment" in the same serious reply??

1 - 20 of 28 Posts