JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just reached 24k miles on my 2012 jeep. Im on my 3rd set of pads for the rear and 2nd for the front. I replaced the rear myself at about 20k miles. So after just 4k miles on the rear I took it to the dealer to see what the issue is with them wearing so fast.
The Dealer said that it was mud and dirt packed in to the slider for the rear brake calipers. I had a hard time believing this story. How can that be true if BOTH SETS wear even on the rear and both rear sets of pads are worn through. There is something more to this issue than just brake wear!

2012 JK ARCTIC

· Registered
13,219 Posts
Usually it's one set of rears within 20k-30k. Traction control, off-roading/mud in 4-hi, hill-assist can wear rear brakes excessively.

· Registered
4,207 Posts
As suggested it's related to ESP interventions, brake assist, etc. However, I also believe as with the front, the rear brake system is marginal at best for a vehicle of the JKs weight. I experienced very poor braking in steep off road situations where rear brake capability was needed just to hold the JK in place. In many situations the pedal was mashed all the way to the secondary stop inside the master cylinder and the rig was still rolling. I'd have to use the emergency brake to stop it from rolling backwards. I improved things dramatically when I installed a Teraflex Big Brake kit and TF's larger master cylinder. Important to note that export JKs get 13" front rotors and dual piston calipers. We get the shaft on brake spec.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.