JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how many of you cross over to Pirate4x4 but since I haven't seen this posted here, I thought I'd bring it to our attention here so we can get in on this fight!

After yet another lawsuit from the anti-access groups, a liberal activist judge (appointed by Governor Moonbeam) has ruled that EVERY trail in Eldorado National Forest is now closed - except the Rubicon (for now). :flipoff:

NOT a joke. :(

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
And what is this lawsuit alleging?

Sent from my chocolate starfish at the speed of smell

·
'merica
2,237 Posts
WTF!!! Just read most of the post on Pirate and I could see the NFS leaving most of it closed saying they dont have the money for an environmental impact study. I wonder how many seasonal jobs will be lost due to this?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And what is this lawsuit alleging?
They're shady with the details, but basically a leftist activist judge has caved in to pressure from the Center for Sierra Nevada Conservation (Center for Biological Diversity/PEER/Karen Schambach) and ordered the Forest Service to close the trails until ANOTHER environmental impact study is completed. The disaster du jour is water pollution from stream crossings and damage to meadows. Here's the press release.

It's not about environmental protection though. If that was the case, the "environmentalists" would spend $5000 to help build a bridge at a water crossing, rather than spend $5,000,000 on a lawsuit. The real goal is to get a judge to close the entire damn forest to everyone but them. It looks like they've succeeded, unless we can put up a fight.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Before I address this issue - your thread title says: "EVERY" - are you sure every forest road/trail is covered by this recent order?
Get'em Craig:mad:

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
They're shady with the details, but basically a leftist activist judge has caved in to pressure from the Center for Sierra Nevada Conservation (Center for Biological Diversity/PEER/Karen Schambach) and ordered the Forest Service to close the trails until ANOTHER environmental impact study is completed. The disaster du jour is water pollution from stream crossings and damage to meadows. Here's the press release.

It's not about environmental protection though. If that was the case, the "environmentalists" would spend $5000 to help build a bridge at a water crossing, rather than spend $5,000,000 on a lawsuit. The real goal is to get a judge to close the entire damn forest to everyone but them. It looks like they've succeeded, unless we can put up a fight.
Well the details seem to be shady at the moment because there has been no official ruling yet as it is pending therefore they can only say those trails "May" be closed rather than "will". I think once we get are hands on the courts official ruling then we will know as it should be public record. Similar bullshit happened to fishermen when they shut down Salmon fishing for a year and then re-opened the year following. I don't actually believe the argument that they want to shut down a trail to only gain access for themselves as they drive cars as well. I don't see them frame packing in from the city but if that is the case maybe we should be spending this year (since trails "may" be closing) and spend all of our Jeep activities in front of City Hall in Sacramento and protesting. Jeep nights now become Lobby day. Meet and Greets now become Organized Events. I hope nobody is taking this as me being a smart as Im dead serious. All vendors should get involved with taking on Sacramento as well. We can't make a dent by paying $20 bucks a year to a forum or a jeep club. The only way we will make an impact is by pounding the pavement. I have no problem getting hit with pepper spray and holding a picket sign. I guess the question becomes who else is willing to do so.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Well the details seem to be shady at the moment because there has been no official ruling yet as it is pending therefore they can only say those trails "May" be closed rather than "will". I think once we get are hands on the courts official ruling then we will know as it should be public record. Similar bullshit happened to fishermen when they shut down Salmon fishing for a year and then re-opened the year following. I don't actually believe the argument that they want to shut down a trail to only gain access for themselves as they drive cars as well. I don't see them frame packing in from the city but if that is the case maybe we should be spending this year (since trails "may" be closing) and spend all of our Jeep activities in front of City Hall in Sacramento and protesting. Jeep nights now become Lobby day. Meet and Greets now become Organized Events. I hope nobody is taking this as me being a smart as Im dead serious. All vendors should get involved with taking on Sacramento as well. We can't make a dent by paying $20 bucks a year to a forum or a jeep club. The only way we will make an impact is by pounding the pavement. I have no problem getting hit with pepper spray and holding a picket sign. I guess the question becomes who else is willing to do so.
I have been hit with pepper spray, CS and a TASER multiple times. Since we are peaceful I guess they cant use much more. When I am not in the sand box I am in!!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Hey, don't drag me into your rant or I will pepper spray the shit out of you!:) I simply wish to completely understand the thread title before entering the conversation.

EDIT: Probably my bad too, as I have been eating a lot of those Red Legged Frogs.
Hahahahahh :laughing2::laughing2: No dragging intended and as for Frog legs, I prefer blond vs red. :) My wife would kill me if I said other wise. lol. Or shall I say "Rana Aurora Draytonii"

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Anyway, since Molester left and didn't clarify the thread title, I will try to put it in context:

Dirt Roads and Trails Remain Closed to Motor Vehicles Due to Recent Storms

Date(s): Mar 28, 2012 - Apr 18, 2012

Contact(s): Frank Mosbacher

The seasonal closure of dirt roads and trails to motor vehicles has been extended for two weeks due to the recent storms and the weather forecast of intermittent storms over the next few weeks, announced Forest Supervisor Kathy Hardy. These routes will remain closed until they have dried out sufficiently and no major storms are forecasted.

“The frequent storms over the last few weeks have soaked the roads and the forest,” said Hardy. “With more storms predicted, the dirt roads and trails will not be able to dry adequately to handle vehicle traffic without damage. I will re-evaluate the conditions of these routes and the weather forecasts over the next two weeks.”

·
Registered
174 Posts
Anyway, since Molester left and didn't clarify the thread title, I will try to put it in context:

Dirt Roads and Trails Remain Closed to Motor Vehicles Due to Recent Storms

Date(s): Mar 28, 2012 - Apr 18, 2012

Contact(s): Frank Mosbacher

The seasonal closure of dirt roads and trails to motor vehicles has been extended for two weeks due to the recent storms and the weather forecast of intermittent storms over the next few weeks, announced Forest Supervisor Kathy Hardy. These routes will remain closed until they have dried out sufficiently and no major storms are forecasted.

“The frequent storms over the last few weeks have soaked the roads and the forest,” said Hardy. “With more storms predicted, the dirt roads and trails will not be able to dry adequately to handle vehicle traffic without damage. I will re-evaluate the conditions of these routes and the weather forecasts over the next two weeks.”
Craig, it actually appears to be more serious than that. Check this link, which was posted today: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/eldorado/news-events/?cid=STELPRDB5362068

I need to walk my dog but when I get back I will register for pacer and see if I can find the Order since they are not posting it.

·
RIP Brad
3,760 Posts
Sure.... "every" was the wrong word to use, but at least it gets everyone's attention.

This is apparently no joke and they are "temporarily" closing a bunch of trails while they study the "problems." WTF.... the only problems I see are the enviro-nazis and their sympathetic judge.

Here is the press release from the FS.

I haven't read more than the press release and some of the PBB thread, but it looks legit. This is bullshit.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Craig, it actually appears to be more serious than that. Check this link, which was posted today: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/eldorado/news-events/?cid=STELPRDB5362068

I need to walk my dog but when I get back I will register for pacer and see if I can find the Order since they are not posting it.
Yep I just read that whole damn think and my eyes hurt. Seems to be that there are claims that the Forestry Service did not comply with criteria that was outlined in the 1972 Executive order by President Nixon called "Travel Management", Obviously there has been amended forms of that Executive order, but from my understanding it was designed to recognize the impact on the habitat from off-highway vehicles. It appears that there are several claims that the off-highway roads have inadequate water shed, effecting meadow crossings and the habitat of the Red Legged Frog. It appears that the 42 roads in question are because of the Meadow Crossing claims by the Plaintiff. Now I just got done reading 85 pages of Legal bullshit so this is my brain trying to assess the situation in a quick fashion.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

The meadows and stream issue is not new. The findings in the May 26, 2011 ruling by Judge Karlton ask for the Plaintiffs and Defendant to return with a resolution to the matter. That resolution is outlined in the Press Release. In other words the FS needs to return to the drawing board and do the work that they were ordered to do in the original suit.

At issue is the temporary closure of only the dirt roads in the ENF that cross meadows and streams. The Title: 42 OHV trails is misleading.

My point was that it appears that the OP for some reason blended two separate issues.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Sure.... "every" was the wrong word to use, but at least it gets everyone's attention.

This is apparently no joke and they are "temporarily" closing a bunch of trails while they study the "problems." WTF.... the only problems I see are the enviro-nazis and their sympathetic judge.

Here is the press release from the FS.

I haven't read more than the press release and some of the PBB thread, but it looks legit. This is bullshit.
In Nor Cal we pretend to be intelligent, therefore, we believe that we do not require a good trolling to become attentive.

I guarantee you that I didn't vote for the President who appointed Karlton, but after you read the suit, you may find that his judicial reasoning was pretty spot on.

This settlement of terms is part of a ongoing resolution to resolve the Travel Management Plan. It will ultimately result in miles of closed forest roads, no doubt about it.

My issue isn't with the parties that you point out, it is with the Forest Service. [tinfoil hat]

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.