JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what Jeep were thinking of when they placed the EVAP can on the JK in such a rock strike location, but I decided to move it and it was very simple to do.

It is now mounted directly below the front of the trunk area.

The factory EVAP can bracket is offset, so I first leveled it out so both ends were level. I then drilled three holes through the trunk floor and bolted it down, using some stainless fender washers and a good helping of silicone to seal the holes.

The electrical lead simply needed re-routing and reaches fine.

After messing about with the factory hoses for a while, I decided to do away with much of them and just use some rubber hose. At first I was going to use some 5/8" ID heater hose, but decided as it was close to the exhaust to use some marine type A1 fuel hose, which is fire retardant and unlike heater hose, also designed for gasoline.

I could have got away with single pieces, but wanted to keep the hoses as far as possible from the exhaust, so I used some brass 90° elbows. I finished it off with some stainless steel hose clamps, just to keep everything in place.

It looks a little cluttered with all the 90° elbows and clamps, and as I said you could do it without the elbows, and most probably without the clamps. But this way the hoses are further from the exhaust, and the clamps keep everything secure.

I thought about the Kilby relocation kit, but figured where I was going to mount it, there would be very little chance of it ever getting hit by rock, maybe a stray branch, but still very unlikely. There's nothing wrong with the Kilby solution at all, and it definitely adds protection as well as relocates the EVAP can, and looks very easy to install.

Total cost was less than $20 and took about 90 minutes.

I've had it like this for 8 months or so and no problems at all so far.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Very nice job indeed Phil. I think I finally have to do mine now. Not crazy about drilling through the floor but oh well, no one will notice. :D

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I still like havin' some metal between that plastic and the ground regardless of where it's located.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
I still like havin' some metal between that plastic and the ground regardless of where it's located.
I did mine a little different than his and mine is on a steel plate in the same spot as show.

also I am moving this to the write up forum so it can be easily found :grinpimp:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Skid Row

Don't plan on relocating the cannister...Skid Row will be coming out with a simple bolt on skid plate to protect that...never liked having to go through hoops modding a Jeep, when there are some many other options...

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
PhilD,
this looks great. I have to do this on mine before hitting the trails this Spring. I have one question: Is it possible to cut the bracket on the side opposite from the exhaust so that the whole mounted assembly can be located a few inches further away from the exhaust pipe?

In this picture, that means shifting it all to the right 2 or 3 inches, closer to the spring.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Can you post a parts list? I'd love to do this and save the $50 or so versus buying the kit for the next mod...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Can you post a parts list? I'd love to do this and save the $50 or so versus buying the kit for the next mod...
Im going to make a trip to a couple auto parts stores, If I can find everything in one place, Ill snap some pics of the parts I use.

·
Registered
345 Posts
ok just got back from Oreilys Auto Parts. They had everything in stock. Some may need to order the hose I used, but most should stock it.

Qty 3 foot Gates 5/8" Fuel hose Gates part#50018 (any 5/8 hose rated for fuel will work)
Qty# 3 Gates 90 degree fittings rated for fuel gates Part#28624 (no hose clamps needed when used with Gates 5/8' hose)
Qty 1 pack 1/4-20 Bolts 3 in a pack Part #760-010
Qty 1 pack 1/4-20 nuts 5 in a pack Part #762-010
Qty 1 pack 5/16 fender washers 9 in a pack Part #766-109
Qty 4 hose 5/8" clamps part #5010 (will be used on the factory line connections if needed)

Total amount Spent $14.32 all purchased from the same place so no running all over town to acquire the parts.
Ill try and get pics of the parts and install tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
GREAT! thanks! Keep the details, and even pics, coming. I just may do this without the kit afterall.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Qty 1 pack 1/4-20 Bolts 3 in a pack :devil:
Qty 1 pack 1/4-20 nuts 5 in a pack :devil::devil:
Qty 1 pack 5/16 fender washers 9 in a pack :devil::devil::devil:

It's the old hot dog and bun thing. I like how they dont give these in even numbers.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Qty 1 pack 1/4-20 Bolts 3 in a pack :devil:
Qty 1 pack 1/4-20 nuts 5 in a pack :devil::devil:
Qty 1 pack 5/16 fender washers 9 in a pack :devil::devil::devil:

It's the old hot dog and bun thing. I like how they dont give these in even numbers.

Less chance of losing the bolts I guess, This way when that 1 lone nut decides to drop and shoot across the garage floor you think... Ahh no big deal. I have a spare lol. As for the washers.... Who knows.... lol

·
Registered
345 Posts
GREAT! thanks! Keep the details, and even pics, coming. I just may do this without the kit afterall.

Sorry I went ahead and did it tonight while I had some free time. Did it by myself so didnt get any install pics. Its really not that hard. Hardest part was holding the bolts.... Then I thought.... OMG Duck tape lol. Put a lil tape on em from the top side and presto they stay in place while you heave the unit up from the bottom and hold it in place with a 2x4 and then put the nuts and washers on from the bottom side lol.
Total time not counting the parts run..... 1 hours 12 minutes... This was taking my time, but I also cheated and used a battery operated impact.:smokin:

My run down on the step by step...

1. gather parts
2.remove rear seat and carpet from under it
3.Jack up the jeep and support it by the frame so the axle drops
4.Remove evap can and factory hoses.(the hoses can be a bit tricky, but once ya look at em youll figure out how they come off
5.remove evap from bracket and flatten the z bend out of it
6.reattach to bracket and hold into posistion above axle and deceide where to drill holes.(I decieded against cutting the bracket and used the single side hole,and then drilled 2 new ones on the other side)
7.install new bolts in passenger compartment using duck tape as mentioned
above.
8. Place evap in its new home
9.run new lines
10. Cut the zip ties holding the wire
11. Plug in wire
12.clean up the tools
13. lower jeep and reinstall rear seat or leave it out your choice...
14. take a look at your and handy work and send me half of the extra money you saved...:laughing::laughing:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts