JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if i should buy a kit to move the Evap Can or just buy a skid plate to protect it. Also does anyone know where the can is moved and is it easy to do?

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Some guys have expressed concern of voiding warranty of related parts if relocating the evap canister, but it can be done fairly easily if needed. There are companies that make skids for it, but how well they protect it...dunno. I believe that Rockhard (and Benchmark Designs- a vendor on this forum) are making skids for the evap can as well. Maybe this info will help.

To relocate- You might consider Woods... www.JeepSWAG.com

Or for a DIY write-up...

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1171

·
Registered
441 Posts
Relocate it. Even if you skid it, you're still leaving something to get caught on things. I've heard of them getting ripped off, but I haven't heard of them taking a direct hit from below.

All of the kits I know about relocate it above the rear axle. There's plenty of room up there even on a stock JK.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Options for relocate:

• Woods -- mounted to bracket
  • Kilby -- relocated and skid
  • Die-Tech Offroad (new company) -- relocated and skid
  • DIY

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Ok so.... how do folks rip off the evap canister? Seriously. I have wheeled the crap out of my stock 4 door, dented skids up, beat the rock rails but yet the evap is still untouched. I never had the issue with the last JK, small lift and 35's, and no one scratch on the evap yet beat the skids all up....

·
Openly Hostile
6,982 Posts
Ok so.... how do folks rip off the evap canister? Seriously. I have wheeled the crap out of my stock 4 door, dented skids up, beat the rock rails but yet the evap is still untouched. I never had the issue with the last JK, small lift and 35's, and no one scratch on the evap yet beat the skids all up....
With the way it attaches, its actually pretty easy to knock it off. I've even seen it a couple times, haha. If you hit it from the front, it will slide the mounting bracket that it attaches to right off.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
If you rip off your evap cannister, there's a good chance you have a lot worse goin' on down below...that said, no need to spend a bunch of money, and waste time relocating the cannister...Skidrow has the answer...

·
Registered
441 Posts
You're just not trying hard enough. :)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I dont know. I wheeled all around Tellico this past weekend... took some dents on the rails, a nice dent in the gas tank skid, some dings on the oil pan skid, came close to high center once yet nothing on the Evap. The last JK I really wheeled and still had no damage on it. Truth be told I will still probably do a skid (thanks for the pic Dustoff) sooner or later.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Ok so.... how do folks rip off the evap canister?
You really have to get up on the perfect sized rock or stump to do it. I've wheeled around Katemcy and other rocky steambeds, and never touched mine...but that perfect "hit" will probably rip it right off. I guess the skid would work to protect it but I feel like a really hard hit especially with the weight of the Unlimited would do some damage as well. Maybe not.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Not positive, but surely it would send a "bad code" and possibly cause warranty concerns. I would not completely remove it, unless someone has done it and deems it safe...Even then- I personally don't think I'd do it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Another aspect to consider when you relocate. Sure, you move the canister up out of the way, but now you've opened up a giant void under the Jeep that a stump or rock can get stuck in and jam up against your rear axle. A smooth undercarriage will keep this from happening.

Check out our website for details on our skid. Should be shipping in about 3-4 weeks.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I vote relocate as well. I smashed the crap outta mine at the 'Con and broke the can, the valve, and wasted the seal. It was not that expensive (shockingly) from the dealer to replace. I think I was in it for around 50-60 bucks for all of it. I bought the Woods kit and am 100% happy with it. Very easy, took about an hour and it's well out of the way now. Leaves room for a muffler if I decide to go with it or (more likely) and air tank that can take a hit if I knock a rock under there.
I did drive it around for a couple weeks without when I smashed it and got a check engine light and FUEL CAP came up across the odometer. Nothing else that I noticed.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I think putting a skid on something that shouldn't even be there is silly. If you relocate it you will see how the can is held on; it's only three small tabs. If you damage it you go into limp home mod and lose power (depending on where you are that could be a problem).

I used the new RockHard relocation bracket and it was easy to do. JK's are heavy and adding the weight of a skid when there is a better method makes no sense - unless you're selling skids. Look at it this way - when you relocate it your rear axle is your skid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine got ripped off yesterday on the JKs first trail ride.
I was with 6 others, some Modded, some not.
I was shocked to be stopped and told by the guy behind that I was draggin something.
I had followed 3 others thru a shallow hole (about 8 - 10 inches of water) that had 1/2 inch of ice on it.
I guess the ice pieces had wedged up and pushed the canister back and off the tabs.
Unfortunately the canister was cracked and one of the fittings for a hose had broken off.
I drove it another 3 hours, and then about 70 miles to get home, with no engine light or loss of power.
Guess the dealer won't be too interested in replacing the EVAP under warranty even though it was a really wimpy puddle that did the damage.

·
Openly Hostile
6,982 Posts
Mine got ripped off yesterday on the JKs first trail ride.
I was with 6 others, some Modded, some not.
I was shocked to be stopped and told by the guy behind that I was draggin something.
I had followed 3 others thru a shallow hole (about 8 - 10 inches of water) that had 1/2 inch of ice on it.
I guess the ice pieces had wedged up and pushed the canister back and off the tabs.
Unfortunately the canister was cracked and one of the fittings for a hose had broken off.
I drove it another 3 hours, and then about 70 miles to get home, with no engine light or loss of power.
Guess the dealer won't be too interested in replacing the EVAP under warranty even though it was a really wimpy puddle that did the damage.
Sorry to hear that, the good news is tat it isn't expensive. Both parts, the evap can and the white part with the fittings on it, are under 75 bucks.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Sorry to hear that, the good news is tat it isn't expensive. Both parts, the evap can and the white part with the fittings on it, are under 75 bucks.
Which begs the question, why spend Xhundred bucks to protect it :shaking:
Spend less than 75 bucks and carry a spare :laughing:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts