JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 door 2010 JK sport
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm still doing some planning on how I'm going to wire everything up. One of the unknowns is how I'm going to wire this.

I plan on doing an ESP kill switch. I know where the wire is, but I'm unsure how to wire it to a 3 position switch (accessory,ground,power). I'll have the two wires from the ESP wire that I'm cutting into which will go to the switch.

Can I make it so the LED lights up (not a major issue as the dash lights will come on like a Christmas tree when on)?

Someone told me just to use a push button/momentary switch. If at all possible, I'd rather keep the same style toggle switches.

Idea's?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I'm looking at a relay setup using a "normally closed" relay. This way, when the switch is not activated, current flows through the circuit much like the stock arrangement. When the switch is activated, the relay opens, breaking the circuit, and disabling the ESP. And it lets me use whatever switch I want.

·
Registered
273 Posts
got a letter today from my Jeep dealer stating that the ESP can be turned off at the dealership. Did anyone else get one of these?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
You might try putting a relay in the system and wire it to activate when turned off (forgot the sequence) and use the main power from the relay to light the LED. Then you'd only use a two way switch on the ESP wire.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I did it by using a relay with the 87 and 87A terminals on it. The 87A is the normally closed contact, so I cut the wire for the esp disable and connected one side to the #30 terminal on the relay and the other to the 87A terminal. That way when you send 12v to the #85 terminal with #86 grounded 87A opens cutting off your esp control.

I hope this makes sense :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
i got the letter also the letter states that you can turn it off by doing a stering wheel and key on/off while pushing the button for it . it also states the this will completely shut off esp if i read it right.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
i got the letter also the letter states that you can turn it off by doing a stering wheel and key on/off while pushing the button for it . it also states the this will completely shut off esp if i read it right.
Yep. My ESP has been off for 2+ years now.

·
Registered
2 door 2010 JK sport
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's correct. But I don't want it off all the time. I'd like the option of turning it off when offroad, while leaving it on to DD.

·
Registered
343 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts