JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok it's happened at least 2 times since I put on the 35" tires a week ago. Usually on a offramp if it is bumpy and uphill. Pain it the arse and the only thing out of alignmnet is the caster which is +2.5 degrees. Dealer does not believe it's a bad sensor even thou it happened when parked when I had 33" tires.

What has everyone else found on this issue. I guess I can run a switch to perm disable it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
9 out of 10 times the steering wheel isn't centered. You can center it by turning the collar on the drag link.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
What air pressure are you running in the 35s? I've dropped mine down to 32 psi and the ESP hasn't kicked in for a while now, even when I try to set it off. Too much air makes the tires "bouncy" which adds more movement in the suspension on a bumpy road at higher speeds.

As mentioned above, an off center steering wheel will give you problems too. It took me 3 tries to center it just right.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Centering is dead nuts at least I've played with it all week long and It hasn't changed anything on the esp front. I'm running a 8ply cooper mt tire and manufacturer says 60lb max so the install shop would not go lower than 40. I pulled out the lot and into another 100 yards down the street and lowered to 35 but maybe I should go lower. Still feels a little bumpy so I'll bring it down some to mayb 32 then 30 then 28 until it feels right.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
I was gonna ask about the steering wheel as well because you are right, that is most often what i see. He said everything in the alignment that could be adjusted was done though except the caster. I would say then that is is most likely air pressure or a loose end or something. Did you use an aftermarket front track bar? Phil said the ones he had where failing?

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
oops, writing that last post while you where posting your response, just read it......

For what it is worth I have been running 27.5 in my 35's on 15's. But they are bfg mt (the first KM)

I run 30 on long freeway trips. sometimes I drive a ways on pavment still at 10-15 psi. Have not noticed a responce from the esp because of that. I keep bending my drag link so I only get it to trigger when my wheel is off

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm at the point of adding the switch to turn the stupid thing off as it hasn't turned on when trying to do a burnout in dirt. Just once in awhile when sitting in the driveway starting it or when I'm towing or when I'm turning on a offramp. If I knew what the sensor looked like I'd go find them to inspect manually. Anyone have a pic?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Weird...

I'm running my 35's at 33psi (to keep the damn TPMS light off) and they're still a wee bit bouncy although I did run them at 35 on a long trip to help with MPG. All that said, I've never has the ESP come on when it wasn't supposed to. If your wheel is centered dead on balls accurate then I can't see that being the issue. I also doubt the tire PSI being the issue as I've run the same pressures you're talking about and had zero reaction.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what happens if you unplug the sensor? will the computer go crazy?

·
Registered
783 Posts
theres a TSB out where your local dealer can reflash your ecu's (not sure which ones they actually do) and then theres a steering wheel/esp button manuever you must complete. This will turn your esp completely off. All you have to do to turn it back on is repeat the steering wheel/esp button manuever. If you have a 08, then it already comes programmed for this. My owners manual covers this in the esp section and says that they implemented this due to owners complaigning about the esp kicking in prematurely when running larger than stock tires. Don't know if this will fix your problem or not though. I gotta be honest, it just seems like more of a "bandaid" to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts