JKOwners Forum banner

Do you have ESP issues and do you have a lift?

• No ESP issues, No lift

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • No ESP issues, With lift

Votes: 23 45.1%
  • ESP issues, No lift

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • ESP issues, With lift

Votes: 7 13.7%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I don't think this has been done before so I thought I'd put this up.

This is a question about if you have had or not an issue with the ESP.

So please only answer for yourself. Not your cousins best friend's sisters next door neighbor. This is direct experience only.

·
Registered
749 Posts
ESP "Spot On", no issue's since lift................

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just cast my vote. Had the JK stock for the first two weeks (30" stockers) and no issues. Added 17x8.5" wheels (4.6"bs) and 33x11.50's and now the ESP's been become an issue. No lift, no nothing other than a slightly wider stance and taller rubber. I'm holding off on complaining about it until I lift it. Got a feeling replacing the stock shocks (my toddlers arms are thicker than these things) with something firmer should sure things up for me.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I just voted lift w/no issues, but with this caevet....it seems a little anxious to "help" me around highway on/off ramps. I know the CG is higher, but jeez, limiting me to 25 on the ramps is overkill.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Had a problem with the ESP engaging in clover leaf corners occasionally (dry roads and no traction loss, etc...). Also, the light would often kick on unexpectedly, usually when making low speed turns. It would stay on until I shut the JK down and restarted. Had the clock spring replaced (I don't really know if this was the cuprit, but the dealer thought so). Also had my ECM flashed at the same time for the dreaded "Stall Bug". Hasn't been a problem since.

Hoping they didn't just remove the light in the dash... :D

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You'd know if they removed the light on the dash. ;) Try a 40 mph powerslide and the ESP will let you know it's still there. :D

I find it interesting that some have had SP issues on stock vehicles. This obviously indicates that there is a bug of some kind in the out of the factory system. I hope that it is as "easy" as a clock spring as that is an easy mechanical culprit. Although I wouldn't rule out the varied spring sets that came stock (at least in 07 and I don't know about 08). Obviously the system is pretty temperamental/exacting and the littlest of things can trigger false trips that have irritated many a modified JK. Since so much goes into correct vehicle operation hopefully we can eventually help in figuring it out if DC doesn't make some changes first.

Hmm, I wonder has anyone with a stock JK built in 08 had any ESP issues?

·
Registered
38 Posts
No issues with AiROCK & 37s, the steering wheel isn't exactly dead straight either.

Andy

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine isn't what I'd consider dead on either. ;)

I've noticed that if you have a lot of lean this triggers more than pure g-force side to side. So I'm thinking that the center console roll indicator is measuring body roll with perhaps some g-force tip and not necessarily just g-force.

This would explain bad springs or running without sway bars tripping the ESP.

Pure speculation though on my part.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I believe the problem lies in a spring in the steering sensor mechanism sticking or something. I read that someone had solved this by starting the jeep, turining the wheel lock to lock and then back to center, the turn off and restart. Your light should go off after just a few miles of driving if not immediatlely. Worked for me. If this doesn't do it then the suggestion is to have the spring replaced.

Of course, you need to make sure your steering wheel is centered before anyting else :p

·
Registered
18 Posts
I believe the problem lies in a spring in the steering sensor mechanism sticking or something. I read that someone had solved this by starting the jeep, turining the wheel lock to lock and then back to center, the turn off and restart. Your light should go off after just a few miles of driving if not immediatlely. Worked for me. If this doesn't do it then the suggestion is to have the spring replaced.

Of course, you need to make sure your steering wheel is centered before anyting else :p
That was my experience exactly! I read somewhere... *cough* on that "other forum" that the clock spring could be faulty. The light usually went off after I shut my JK down and restarted... I didn't make the connection with the steering wheel lock though.

I ended up at the dealer for the recall ESP flash anyway and they replaced my clock spring at the same time. Sooo... I can't be certain which "fix" cured the problem, but my ESP has engaged when it's supposed to since then and not when it shouldn't.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have ESP issues with just a 1" body lift and 34's. I am hoping with the ECU recalibration for the Tires the computer will better sense the correct speed and G's so it doesn't keep trying to put me into the damn wall.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have ESP issues with just a 1" body lift and 34's. I am hoping with the ECU recalibration for the Tires the computer will better sense the correct speed and G's so it doesn't keep trying to put me into the damn wall.
Gonna be interested in what ya come up with. I'm not gonna be going bigger than 33's anytime soon and really wouldn't bother blowing $200 just to get my speedo/odometer back to spec....but, if it eliminates my ESP issues I just might have to sink some money into one. At some point, someone has got to come out with a way for us to permanently disable the damn thing.

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fully disabling the ESP

***WARNING***
If you make this modification you are solely responsible for the outcome. I would recommend that you review these instructions and compare them with your Service Manual. I would suspect that fully disabling the ESP system has all kinds of ramifications and you and you alone are responsible.

Note: I do not recommend this modification. If you are doing this "play" that is fine but if you are performing this mod because your ESP system is ill behaved I suggest you get that rectified before attempting to disable the system.
***WARNING***

It is the violet and lite blue wire under the center console. Snip this wire and the ESP system will completely disengage. Put in a SPST switch and you can completely turn on or off the ESP system. This completely disengages the ESP system. It will NOT come on if the system is disengaged. It will NOT save your behind in the event you loose traction or control. It will NOT come on above 40mph.

Note: This puts th ESP system in a fault condition and you will have warning lights on the dash but the ESP will no longer function.

***WARNING #2***
As with any modification doing this to your JK is entirely and solely your responsibility and I would submit that for "fun times" or special situations you may want to disengage the ESP system but for general use I would not recommend a completely disabled ESP system and if you are having ESP issues you should find the resolution to the problem and not use disabling the ESP system as the cure.
***WARNING #2***

A full read up on this can be read here on the LXForums.

This modification was performed successfully by Nth Degree Mobility so they could take their suspension design to the max in some high speed and mixed traction and control situations.

I initially found this information while in the testing phase of my Nth Degree Mobility prototype lift kit and a desire to drift a loaded 6000 pound JK. :devil:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have had esp promblems from bone stock at 2200 miles to present with 2 inch lift and 33's and 26,000 miles been to the dealer for this and a few other prombles nine times.The dealer gave the standard bs,still not fixed to date ..:pissed:

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
53 Posts
No problems before or after the lift.

I did spin a tire at a stop light paint stripe in the rain today and the ESP light came on :laughing:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts