JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Jeep in last Sat for some warranty work. I mentioned that I'd like them to try the ESP disable flash again, since it wouldn't take last time. Well, 5 hours later it still didn't work. They told me that they would get in contact with the powers that be, and for me to call back later in the week. I called yesterday, they said yeah, bring it in, they could probably get it to work.
BTW, after this flash my DTE readout was stuck at 255 and the MPG readout was dead.

One hour after I got there yesterday, the service guy came and got me, saying the Jeep is acting all weird now, and I need to tell the tech what all the electrical stuff I added is for. We go into the shop and five techs are bunched up around my Jeep. Apparently, the flash took a bad turn this time around. There were over 60 faults in the system, and it now has a feature that lets the motor run after you turn off the key and remove it, along with the cooling fans coming on with the high beams and other assorted gremlins.

I talked with the tech, explained everthing I've done electrically to it. He doesn't know if any of what I did led to this, but said the system is very sensitive about what it "sees" and what it "should see".

They are bringing in a new computer (TIPM) today to see if that fixes it.

I haven't done anything more than alot of you guys, so WTF?? Is this damn thing so sensitive that you can't put a few lights and a winch on? If anything, I've REDUCED the load on the computer, using relays to drive systems that I know the computer would have trouble with. I didn't hack any connectors off, everything I've done has worked as intended with no ill effect until this latest flash.

At least they gave me a car to drive this time.

They're not denying any warranty yet, but I can't help but think that they're gonna come back and say all this stuff you put on fried it. My only recourse at that point would be it was working just fine until you guys flashed it.

Bottom line, probably not a good idea to get the ESP TSB done, not yet anyway. Looks like it still has bugs (or random features, depending on how you look at it).

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
They are full of crap. They are scambling for an explanation...other then the fact they don't know what they are doing. Adding electrical accesories like a winch and lights in NO way changes what MUT addresses are being seen by the computer. However a impropererly configured ROM could make those problems. I think most likely, they had a ROM with bad MAPS or more likely a scambled MUT table would be the cause. It is also possible that they used the wrong ROM for your ECU however with the lock out code I doubt that is possible and I doubt it would have made those problems. Almost garuntee it is a mixed up MUT table and fixable if they actually knew what hexadecimal addresses went in which cell.

My point is, they clearly added a new ROM rather then altering your existing MAPS. If they did F this up that bad by only altering MAPS then they are worse then idiots, they would have had to been mashing the keyboardas with their palms to get those results, (or I just thought possibly copy and pasting a MUT table incorrectly :shrug: ).

Something attached to your battery is not the cause. They are just robots, they do not ubnderstand ECU's, they only understant how to use the computater machine to load the ROM. I wouldn't worry about it. All though it cracks me up that they are fixing it by replacing your ECU. That is just rediculous! That is the same as somebody bying a new computer because a program did not load properly lol

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are full of crap. They are scambling for an explanation...other then the fact they don't know what they are doing. Adding electrical accesories like a winch and lights in NO way changes what MUT addresses are being seen by the computer. However a impropererly configured ROM could make those problems. I think most likely, they had a ROM with bad MAPS or more likely a scambled MUT table would be the cause. It is also possible that they used the wrong ROM for your ECU however with the lock out code I doubt that is possible and I doubt it would have made those problems. Almost garuntee it is a mixed up MUT table and fixable if they actually knew what hexadecimal addresses went in which cell.

My point is, they clearly added a new ROM rather then altering your existing MAPS. If they did F this up that bad by only altering MAPS then they are worse then idiots, they would have had to been mashing the keyboardas with their palms to get those results, (or I just thought possibly copy and pasting a MUT table incorrectly :shrug: ).

Something attached to your battery is not the cause. They are just robots, they do not ubnderstand ECU's, they only understant how to use the computater machine to load the ROM. I wouldn't worry about it. All though it cracks me up that they are fixing it by replacing your ECU. That is just rediculous! That is the same as somebody bying a new computer because a program did not load properly lol
Holy crap, did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night??

Thanks Scott, I feel a little better about this.
Let me add, however, that my headlights were throwing a code on the StarScan. I did the CIBIE replacements, I ran new wires from the relays, and I have the stock wiring controlling the relays. Same thing with the fogs.
Do you think the computer wants to see bulb filament resistance, but is getting relay coil resitance and freaking out?

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
Holy crap, did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night??

Thanks Scott, I feel a little better about this.
Let me add, however, that my headlights were throwing a code on the StarScan. I did the CIBIE replacements, I ran new wires from the relays, and I have the stock wiring controlling the relays. Same thing with the fogs.
Do you think the computer wants to see bulb filament resistance, but is getting relay coil resitance and freaking out?
It could throw a CEL, the ECU uses many calculations and compares them against tolerance databases or other signals to detirmine whether it is within specs and then take the appropriate actions. I have never seen any maps in the Jeep ECU to tell you either way with any certanty in regards to the lights throwing cel. I can tell you that it in no way would turn on your fan and make your engine run when the key is removed. I have been messing with the ECU and hope somebody cracks this thing open so we can modify it ourselves however I am no computer engineer and know absolutley nothing about dissasembaling code :(

The thing is, the ECU has specific addresses and calculations in it. If this info gets jumbled then all sorts of things could happen as virtually everything in your rig is controlled by the ECU. Some of these things would not even make since, like fan coming on when highbeams are turned on. Here is a quick example of how things can be changed since I am bored at work lol ;). I had a car that I was tuning for performance. It is important to monitor knock events the leaner you tune. The factory knock sensor in my car was actually pretty good from the factory. Long story short, I hacked the ROM and programmed the Check Engine LIght to flash at different intervals based on the level of the knock event, i.e. it would flash faster and faster the higher the knock event. I was also able to mirror the first o2 sensor signal in place of the rear o2 sensor which had been removed. So without a rear o2 sensor even being there the ECU was still seeing a "everythings ok" signal. In addition, we where able to have it show it was all good for emisions places that only check the OBDII (rather then hooking up the sniffer)

Sorry about the long story, lol. I am bored and thiought I would share. I find tuning and the ECU fascinating. Imagine the possiblities we would have if this gets cracked open. We could tune, adjust speedometer, shift points, cooling fan (for rock crawling), Locker operation, even controlling ESP operation. Really it is endless

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It could throw a CEL, the ECU uses many calculations and compares them against tolerance databases or other signals to detirmine whether it is within specs and then take the appropriate actions. I have never seen any maps in the Jeep ECU to tell you either way with any certanty in regards to the lights throwing cel. I can tell you that it in no way would turn on your fan and make your engine run when the key is removed. I have been messing with the ECU and hope somebody cracks this thing open so we can modify it ourselves however I am no computer engineer and know absolutley nothing about dissasembaling code :(

The thing is, the ECU has specific addresses and calculations in it. If this info gets jumbled then all sorts of things could happen as virtually everything in your rig is controlled by the ECU. Some of these things would not even make since, like fan coming on when highbeams are turned on. Here is a quick example of how things can be changed since I am bored at work lol ;). I had a car that I was tuning for performance. It is important to monitor knock events the leaner you tune. The factory knock sensor in my car was actually pretty good from the factory. Long story short, I hacked the ROM and programmed the Check Engine LIght to flash at different intervals based on the level of the knock event, i.e. it would flash faster and faster the higher the knock event. I was also able to mirror the first o2 sensor signal in place of the rear o2 sensor which had been removed. So without a rear o2 sensor even being there the ECU was still seeing a "everythings ok" signal. In addition, we where able to have it show it was all good for emisions places that only check the OBDII (rather then hooking up the sniffer)

Sorry about the long story, lol. I am bored and thiought I would share. I find tuning and the ECU fascinating. Imagine the possiblities we would have if this gets cracked open. We could tune, adjust speedometer, shift points, cooling fan (for rock crawling), Locker operation, even controlling ESP operation. Really it is endless

Great info here, thanks. I know a bit about what goes on in the ECU, but not enough to do anything about it:D

The Jeep guy just called, he said they can't do anything with the
TIPM so they are ordering a new one. He said that they're going to remove all installed relays for my stuff and see how it goes.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW, am I really slow? That one went right over my head and I have no idea what you are refering to, lol :laughing:
Oh man, where you been?:laughing:
It's a series of commercials on TV, these people get on there and offer advice, like medical info in one of them. He gets asked "are you a doctor?" and he says "no, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night". I guess it makes you smart staying there because you shopped around for the lowest price.
They're pretty damn funny...

Thanks again for the info.

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
About a month or so ago my jeep decided to stop turning off with the key - which was just awesome btw! They ended up replacing my TIPM as well. Then they didn't want to do the G40 recall because I put a switch in to turn the g40 module off. Hate dealers.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
About a month or so ago my jeep decided to stop turning off with the key - which was just awesome btw! They ended up replacing my TIPM as well. Then they didn't want to do the G40 recall because I put a switch in to turn the g40 module off. Hate dealers.
What was the G40 recall all about?

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
The G40 recall was in regards to a ESP problem where the brakes would delay momentarily when coasting up hill. I think by g40 switch he was talking about the ESP bypass switch that some people are doing.

Here is the recall info:
http://www.wkjeeps.com/recalls/recall_g40.pdf
You are correct. After some debate, they eventually agreed to do the recall - but by that time I was frustrated enough that I just left. :pissed:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
WTF are you all talking about...............

A

·
0 Posts
Scott, you can use my garage and tools whenever you like as long as you help me with that CEL, ECU, hex address, MAPS, DTE, ESP, MUT, ROM table ****….. If I ever need it. I‘m technical but have no clue what most of those acronyms stand for ;)

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, just got back from the dealer, everything seems to be OK now. New TIPM installed, no real power in the motor yet, I guess it has to learn me all over again.

Not real happy though, I was told they unhooked all my stuff, put the computer in and flashed it, then hooked all my stuff back up. When I got in it, I was greeted by four relays in the cup holder. When I got home, I raised the hood to see what else they did....

Headlight relays were out. I expected this.
Foglight relay was out. This I also expected.
Driving light relay was out, no reason to pull this one. Outside the computer system.:pissed:
Power wire to the switch that activates the relay for the driving lights was f'ed up, terminal broken off the wire:pissed:
Blown fuse for the driving lights, no idea how this happened:pissed:
Relay socket for the backup lights was pulled off the relay, I half expected this.
Backup relay half unbolted hanging loose from it's mounting position.:pissed:
Wires pulled out of the backup lights relay socket, no reason to do this:pissed:
Wires to the backup relay left dangling out the back, very close the the tire:pissed:
Third brake light and tag illumination plug undone:pissed:

Oh well, at least it was all repairable. I got everything back in it's place, the Jeep is running and quits when you turn off the key.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
Wow, that is just amazing. Sorry to heaar they created so much work for you. At least it is over with...for now.

I am glad to hear they unpluged the tag illumination. In the past that has been known to scramble the ECU while reflashing :shaking:

It is amazing how much damage can be done when you get an infestation of dealership mechanics :laughing:

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, that is just amazing. Sorry to heaar they created so much work for you. At least it is over with...for now.

I am glad to hear they unpluged the tag illumination. In the past that has been known to scramble the ECU while reflashing :shaking:

It is amazing how much damage can be done when you get an infestation of dealership mechanics :laughing:
They did mention to me that they all stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, I expected better of them:laughing:

Well, what else can you do? They kinda got ya by the short hairs with the closed software and all that comes with that.

I'm almost scared to drive it anywhere now...hope it doesn't freak out again.
I guess if it does I'll unplug all my shat and call them to come get it:shaking:

Thanks for all the info and support on this Scott, and everyone else for that matter.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
I know what your saying bout being had by the short hairs, lol. It sucks how much BS you have to put up with everythime you go there. It is always something. I have a couple things I would like them to do right now. I have been putting it off because the last two times I went there for the same problem they had me wait for 2-3 hours just to come back and say they could not find anything wrong...WTF! My problem exists when you are driving! I told them that!! They never even took it for a drive or even asked me to come and point out to the techs the issue I was having when they could not find it!! Sometimes they treat you like you are an idiot or something.

Personaly I would not worry about it happening again or being afraid of having your assecories hooked up. I am convinced it had absolutley nothing to do with them. I had to be a botched flash.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts