JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:bounce: Was actually considering the AeroForce Technolog Interceptor primarily to disable the ESP...then I ran across the instruction below. So far so good. Will conduct further test the next few days to see if it's permanent. So far ESP did not engage at my local on and off ramp :grinpimp:
This is the "steering wheel maneuver" i was talking about. This is how its described in the '07 service bulletin. The only difference in the 08 yellow card is that it says to have the key in the "ON" position, not running. Also, it doesn't mention waiting for chimes.

1. Procedure To Turn ON (or OFF) The Permanent ESP Disable Feature:
a. Verify that the automatic transmission selector is in the “Park” position, and that a
manual transmission is in neutral gear.
b. Start the vehicle engine and wait approximately five (5) seconds for the system bulb
check to complete.
c. Shift the transfer case into the 4H range position. Firmly set parking brake.
d. Turn the steering wheel until it is centered and the wheels are pointed straight
ahead.
e. Turn the steering wheel one-half (½) turn to the right (clockwise). HOLD steering
wheel in this position.
f. Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds. Release the “ESP OFF” button
right after 7 seconds. Wait for chime.
g. Turn the steering wheel back to center, then turn the steering wheel one-half (½)
turn to the left (counterclockwise). HOLD the steering wheel in this position.
h. Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds. Release the “ESP OFF” button
05-001-08 -6-
i. Turn the steering wheel back to center.
j. Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds. Release the “ESP OFF” button
k. Cycle the ignition switch to the “OFF” position.
2. While the Permanent ESP Disable feature is turned on, the vehicle will display the
following:
a. The ESP telltale in the instrument cluster will be illuminated.
b. The vehicle odometer will display a “ESP OFF” message.
3. To Turn OFF The Permanent ESP Disable Feature:
a. Repeat the above procedure (in Step 1).

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
This is a "feature" they added in 08.
Not necessarily. We have full off only in 4-HI, partial off in 4-LO & 2WD.

Does this disable the ESP completely when running in 2WD and 4-LO as well?

I've been trying to remember to run on the street in partial off mode as much as possible. It definately helps with acceleration. I suspect ESP is the reason our rear brakes are wearing so quickly.

·
Openly Hostile
6,938 Posts
Not necessarily. We have full off only in 4-HI, partial off in 4-LO & 2WD.

Does this disable the ESP completely when running in 2WD and 4-LO as well?

I've been trying to remember to run on the street in partial off mode as much as possible. It definately helps with acceleration. I suspect ESP is the reason our rear brakes are wearing so quickly.
Doing this disables it all the time. You can actually get a flash on 07's for it, but from what I saw/heard it is hit an miss whether the flash will work.

Or you can be like me and put in a switch to kill the g40 module and disable esp/abs whenever you want. I turn mine completely off when I hit dirt.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Ive had my ESP disabled (see: wire cutters) since February. So far I've managed to drive my own jeep w/ out a computer.
holy crap! how do you do that... LOL:D

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
amazing aint it!!!
:laughing: With this new ECM/computer controlled world we live in I like the idea we can use every knob, pedal and seat belt connector as our keyboard. We can do a lot of stuff to disable or change things without cutting wires. I just wish someone would publish a book of cheat codes.

When we first got the JK I was determined to get rid of the "horn beep when locking". When I asked the dealer service writer about it he said it was hard wired into the system and couldn't be turned off:thefinger: Thanks to someone's posted directions I was able to turn it off easy as pie.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.