JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime I drive home from a trail run, the esp program activates. I'm told that this happens when the steering wheel is not centered. I would assume that all the hard flexing and tight steering can throw things out of alignment.
While driving home from a trail run this past weekend, the esp/bas light came on after I had already driven about 150 miles. I didn't feel any brake assist. The light just came on. I haven't driven it since but when I start it the light comes back on and stays on.
Is anyone else out there experiencing this? If so, what is the corrective action? A brief tutorial would be appreciated.

Thanks RobV

·
Registered
123 Posts
I to have this problem, the light is on and will not go out. I have phoned the dealer but they just laughed at me when I asked if they would warranty a jeep with 37" tires. I believe my problem is my drag link.. I came down hard in between two rocks and some how bent it, now my steering wheel is off centre. even though the light is on I don't notice anything different in the ride of the jeep. so my fix is going to be a straightened drag link and another alignment. if that doesn't fix the light I'm sure black tape will.

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
Exactly what lights are coming on, and are they on constantly?

It is really easy to straighten the steering wheel. There is a turn buckle on the drag link, it has two 15mm bolts. loosen those two bolts and then rotate the buckle to recenter the wheel. Helps to have someone sitting in the jeep to tell you which direction to rotate it and let you know when it is back to center.

·
Registered
123 Posts
the lights that are always on and won't go out is a little ESP/BAS light then there is the light that looks like a vehicle swerving that i can toggle on and off with the ESP switch.

it is no use to straighten my steering wheel with a turn buckle when i have bent components. the draglink I am referring to is from the pitman arm to the knuckle, I do not recall seeing a turnbuckle on there when I was last under my jeep. (also wasn't looking for it) there is one on the tie rod, which connects the two knuckles but that is not bent.

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
the lights that are always on and won't go out is a little ESP/BAS light then there is the light that looks like a vehicle swerving that i can toggle on and off with the ESP switch.

it is no use to straighten my steering wheel with a turn buckle when i have bent components. the draglink I am referring to is from the pitman arm to the knuckle, I do not recall seeing a turnbuckle on there when I was last under my jeep. (also wasn't looking for it) there is one on the tie rod, which connects the two knuckles but that is not bent.
There is a turn buckle on the drag link - it's on the top side near the pitman arm. Also, on the tie rod on the driver side you can adjust the length of the tie rod to get your toe-in back to the correct setting. I seem to tweak something in the steering about every third trip and have to recenter the wheel and reset the toe. Driving around with a bent tie rod, and too much toe-in, will eat up your tires...taking a few minutes to set it will save your tires until you get around to replacing parts. Just my opinion, take it for whatever it's worth. :beer:

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a turn buckle on the drag link - it's on the top side near the pitman arm. Also, on the tie rod on the driver side you can adjust the length of the tie rod to get your toe-in back to the correct setting. I seem to tweak something in the steering about every third trip and have to recenter the wheel and reset the toe. Driving around with a bent tie rod, and too much toe-in, will eat up your tires...taking a few minutes to set it will save your tires until you get around to replacing parts. Just my opinion, take it for whatever it's worth. :beer:
How do you determine correct toe-in? This is all new to me. Thanks

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
I set mine to 1/8th toe-in on 35's. You aren't gonna get it perfect, but you can get it pretty close. Just measure the width between the front of the tires and the back. (I hope that makes sense) I measure from center line to center line on the tires, where the mold line is. It takes a bit of checking and rechecking to get it right. :D

Someone wanna pipe in with what they set theirs to with 37's?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Bring it to Firestone they have a lifetime alignment for $179. The esp goes off on mine when the track bar slips. The steering wheel is also off. When it is out I just bring it to them after every extreme wheeling trip. Cheap fix I have already got my money back the first year. :grinpimp: Or you could just bring it to someplace that will charge you $69.95 For a one time alignment. Problem is it will happen again. When you do it yourself, you run the risk of prematurely wearing your tires or wearing them unevenly. Even if your broke
:bawling: try to find a cheap alignment. It will save you money in the long run.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bring it to Firestone they have a lifetime alignment for $179. The esp goes off on mine when the track bar slips. The steering wheel is also off. When it is out I just bring it to them after every extreme wheeling trip. Cheap fix I have already got my money back the first year. :grinpimp: Or you could just bring it to someplace that will charge you $69.95 For a one time alignment. Problem is it will happen again. When you do it yourself, you run the risk of prematurely wearing your tires or wearing them unevenly. Even if your broke
:bawling: try to find a cheap alignment. It will save you money in the long run.

Good luck
Yea, I'm trying to escape the gravitational force of the black hole known as four wheel parts. Nice guys but not cheap. You present a good option. I'll look into that. My problem is that everytime I go wheeling I come back with something out of alignment.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
eps light on

"Everytime I drive home from a trail run, the esp program activates. I'm told that this happens when the steering wheel is not centered. I would assume that all the hard flexing and tight steering can throw things out of alignment.
While driving home from a trail run this past weekend, the esp/bas light came on after I had already driven about 150 miles. I didn't feel any brake assist. The light just came on. I haven't driven it since but when I start it the light comes back on and stays on.
Is anyone else out there experiencing this? If so, what is the corrective action? A brief tutorial would be appreciated."

I had the same issue after hitting some rocks a litttle hard. I replaced the drag link and recenterd the steering wheel. That put the light back out and it has been fine since.:D

·
Registered
720 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts