JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All in all... it was painless, simple and yet very effective... :thefinger: These new safety features almost got me and my boys squished between to semi's... I guess these new kids who are on the roads now-a-days need these safety features but me, I've driven rear wheel drive vehicles (2wd & 4wd) my entire life. Whether it's in the snow, slush, ice, heavy rain etc... it's all about how well you know your vehicle and how it responds to your actions. I'm not a big fan of the vehicle doing the brake dance at random speeds going around corners... (fawking stupid)... Anyway, I find these safety features more of a safety issue than anything. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Something I was thinking about here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a fuse for the ABS / BAS?

What I was thinking was getting one of those taps to slide into the slot. With the wires from the tap, put in an inline fuse and switch and be done with it. Wouldn't that work just as well? Would basically be like pulling the fuse to the system.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Those lights just came on in my dash and I didnt even do anything! Not to hijack but since you know how to bypass it do you possibly have any ideas on what might have happened to mine and how to fix it?
Do you have any mods done recently? What were you doing when the lights went on? Is your steering wheel strait? Do you have Cruise control and does it still work?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Do you have any mods done recently? What were you doing when the lights went on? Is your steering wheel strait? Do you have Cruise control and does it still work?
The mods I have have been on for awhile and I cant imagine the wheel being any straighter. 2.5" teraflex lift with 33s done about a year and half ago. latest thing I did was a new steering stabilizer but that was over the summer. I drove it in the morning came back 3 hours later and they are all on now, including the ABS light. I keep hearing about a bad wheel bearing but she only has 40,000 miles on her. I can get the traction control light to go off by pushing the button but it turns back on a couple minutes later. I do have cruise but ill have to give it a test tomorrow and see what happens. What would it tell me if it works or not?

·
Registered
250 Posts
The mods I have have been on for awhile and I cant imagine the wheel being any straighter. 2.5" teraflex lift with 33s done about a year and half ago. latest thing I did was a new steering stabilizer but that was over the summer. I drove it in the morning came back 3 hours later and they are all on now, including the ABS light. I keep hearing about a bad wheel bearing but she only has 40,000 miles on her. I can get the traction control light to go off by pushing the button but it turns back on a couple minutes later. I do have cruise but ill have to give it a test tomorrow and see what happens. What would it tell me if it works or not?
If the cruise control doesn't want to work, it'll mean that you have a bad wheel/speed sensor, which will also trip up the ABS/Traction control so the computer will turn them off, causing the lights you see.

·
Registered
336 Posts
All in all... it was painless, simple and yet very effective... :thefinger: These new safety features almost got me and my boys squished between to semi's... I guess these new kids who are on the roads now-a-days need these safety features but me, I've driven rear wheel drive vehicles (2wd & 4wd) my entire life. Whether it's in the snow, slush, ice, heavy rain etc... it's all about how well you know your vehicle and how it responds to your actions. I'm not a big fan of the vehicle doing the brake dance at random speeds going around corners... (fawking stupid)... Anyway, I find these safety features more of a safety issue than anything. Just my two cents.
I am assuming that when you turn the switch off the lights come on....
or does it disable he entire esp system including the dash lights?

·
Registered
116 Posts
If the cruise control doesn't want to work, it'll mean that you have a bad wheel/speed sensor, which will also trip up the ABS/Traction control so the computer will turn them off, causing the lights you see.
Just checked the cruise control and it doesn't work. I have a appointment at the dealer on Monday, is it safe to assume that this is gonna be alot of money?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Where is this wire? Can I just cut it and leave it and the ESP stays off permanently without affecting anything else? I despise the ESP system in my Jeep, it is horrible. Any chance someone could take a pic of the engine compartment and maybe just draw an arrow to where I can locate the wire? Is there a fuse I can just pull and it will be always off too? I don't care if the light comes on in the dash, that's fine with me, I just want the ESP off.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Or you can pop the hood and pull the J6 fuse.
Disables ESP and ABS.
You get lights on the dash like the op until you put it back in.
No wires to cut. No switch holes to drill.
Simple. But you do have to get out to do it ;)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.