JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went wheeling a little today and hit the front differential at a small creek crossing. I only hit mud no rocks or anything and it really didn't feel like that hard of a hit. but the above lights came on and are still on. I have tried to research it and my steering wheel is straight it drives straight no mods to the lift or steering. is there anything I could check before getting raped by the dealer to look at it?

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
The steering wheel needs to be pretty dead nuts straight for the light to not come on. Check the ABS wiring from the wheel hubs as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you say check the ABS what does that mean? everything seems to be connected. It may be muddy though. I have ordered a leveling kit. I might wait til the I install the leveling kit if the lights/ sensors being on doesn't harm anything.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
It's probably a wheel speed sensor.
I had the same thing.
You should be able to pull a DTC and it will tell you which one.
Did you have to use a reader or could you read the code using the odometer? I've got the same lights (for about a year) and nothing comes up when reading the codes using the odometer. This makes me think clockspring.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I'm sorry I'm asking so many questions, but how do i get a code to read using my odometer? If I go to Advanced or Autozone and they read a code will that be any help?

I found how to check my codes in the odometer. It isn't showing any codes only the 6 dashes followed by -DONE-. Thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went to the dealer to get the diagnostic test run. I ripped two wires out one being a wheel speed sensor and I can't recall what the other was. I will update this for others in case the lights come on for others. The parts aren't too expensive and they aren't charging me too much more than I expected. just under $200 including the diagnostic test, parts and labor.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
The code reader at Advanced will only read check engine light (CEL) codes. Unless your CEL is lit up, they won't help you. Glad you've figured it out. You've actually given me a little hope that it is still only a sensor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i just went through something similar a couple weeks ago. all the same lights were on. no obvious answers from the odometer codes, so we ended up getting a friend with a scanner that was capable of diagnosing ABS issues to scan it and it turned out to be an erratic speed sensor

paid the $12 for a new sensor from the dealer, swapped it and all is good. was really easy.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The wheel speed sensor was I think 14 and the other was 23 but when you couple that with the diagnostic check I think they are charging me an hour labor. There is a pretty good write up about changing the wheel speed sensor here some where and I was planning on doing it myself but the other sensor is a little more difficult to get to. Hope this helps someone else save some headache and money.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.