JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to JKO and hope someone can help.
I have a 2008 JK 3.8, the problem is the engine won't shut off.I turn the key off and it keeps running.I have to disconnct the battery and redo the key on and off several times finally the engine stops.

Any ideas would be great

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
No clue on that one. Sounds like an electronics problem that should be handeled by the dealer.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
yeah thats a new one :D
dealer time

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
I'm new to JKO and hope someone can help.
I have a 2008 JK 3.8, the problem is the engine won't shut off.I turn the key off and it keeps running.I have to disconnct the battery and redo the key on and off several times finally the engine stops.

Any ideas would be great
That is a new one to me as well. Should be a dealer warranty item though

Only thing I can think if is diconnecting the battery for the evening to reset it. People will often have strange computer related issues like this and clearing the ecu usually takes care of the issue. Try leaving it diconnected all night and if it still does it...visit the dealer

·
Registered
990 Posts
Christine ][?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
is this a rubicon we are talkin about? I ask because so may of the strange electrical gremlins with them have been traced back to a faulty electric disco system... at the least its one more thing to rule out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No its not a Rubicon,its the weirdest thing though.
The engine will keep running but nothing else works including the cooling fan.
I was hoping not to have to go to the dealer as the closest one now is 250 miles.
Will try disconneting the battery overnight,will this cure it or might the problem come back.
Maybe it just wants to keep playing. lol

Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No. It did it about 2 weeks ago and was fine until last night.
Iam leaving the battery disconnected today and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
It could be a few things but my initial guess would be a faulty ignition switch/wiring.

And don't disconnect the battery to try to stop it in the future. Just pull the fuel pump fuse.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
It could be a few things but my initial guess would be a faulty ignition switch/wiring.

And don't disconnect the battery to try to stop it in the future. Just pull the fuel pump fuse.
I agree with all this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Crap..........did the same thing today.....

Well guess Iam off for a road trip.

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
Mine did that about a year ago I was lucky tho because I have a manual transmission so I could just put it in 4th and drop the clutch to turn it off.. The dealer had to replace the TIPM

·
Vendor
1,074 Posts
Do you have the remote keyless entry key? We have had Jeeps do weird ignition things that seemed to be key related--they did it when one key was used, but not the spare. The only Jeep (so far) that would not turn OFF, only did it once before we sold it. :D

I would take it to the dealer. Please do share if you find out what it is!

·
Registered
207 Posts
i disconnected my subwoofer and the engine would not shut off.
is yours disconnected

·
Registered
207 Posts
I took my subwoofer out months ago and have never had this problem.
ya but at the time i disconnected it from inside the speaker. i reconnected it and problem stopped and i just unplugged it at the plug

1 - 20 of 31 Posts