JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up everyone,

I have an 08' JKU. I'm on my third tranny, first was stock, last two were jasper transmissions. I have the 3.8L with ripp headers. The engine just took a shit on me. I'm thinking about either doing a diesel swap or another 3.8L with a ripp supercharger. Any advice?

·
Registered
431 Posts
All I have ever heard on the diesel swaps is they are much heavier. Most people prefer a LS or Hemi swap over a Ripp if thats an option. I'd be interested in hearing the experts though. Once mine goes out I think I will end up going the swap route as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I chose the swap after considering a supercharger. My jeep is at Motech now getting an LS 6.0/6l80 tranny swap. The 3.8 is so underpowered I figured it is a better long term investment to go with an LS.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The 6.0 is rated at 360 hp, 380 torque. There are a lot of guys who have done their own swaps cheaper, using Motech figure around 20K.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Don't know much about a diesel swap but just did a DIY Hemi swap using Jeep Speed Shop kit and have less than $9k before I sold the 3.8 engine and tranny for 1500. i don't see how an LS swap could be done for what I have in mine. But if you figure it out Iamd can spend a few extra bucks, go for the V8 if you stay gas as opposed to diesel.

·
Registered
304 Posts
What's up everyone,

I have an 08' JKU. I'm on my third tranny, first was stock, last two were jasper transmissions. I have the 3.8L with ripp headers. The engine just took a shit on me. I'm thinking about either doing a diesel swap or another 3.8L with a ripp supercharger. Any advice?
I have been looking into this as well. I was dead set on the RIPP SC but the power output it will create is still less then if you go with a 5.7 Hemi so now I have been rethinking things. My 08 is still a slug but running for now. Wants it goes out on me I'll figure out where I want to go.

On a side note let me know if you want to part out your RIPP headers off your 3.8!

·
Registered
55 Posts
How long will a ripp sc last? As long as an engine?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I aslo had to replace a trans with my 3.8. then my ripped 3.8 lost a head gasket. that was it.. I did a hemi. for about 10k
much more power. doesn't overheat. should last forever.
the hemi does however get terrible mileage compared to the ripped 3.8

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just did a 6.0, 6l80 swap also. I've been through two 3.8 engines. Both were not supercharged and both spun main and rod bearings. I was able to do my LS swap for about 11k.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My biggest concern with any supercharger on the 3.8 is not the motor, but the stock auto transmission. The 42RLE is not a very strong transmission for such a heavy vehicle to begin with. Making the v-6 make power comparable to a v-8 is great, but I think it is going to wear out the trans. This trans is not used on v-8 engines for a reason, because it can't handle the power.

I started in the v-8 camp, then went to SC after looking at cost & effort, but then back to v-8 bc of the tranny.

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
My biggest concern with any supercharger on the 3.8 is not the motor, but the stock auto transmission. The 42RLE is not a very strong transmission for such a heavy vehicle to begin with. Making the v-6 make power comparable to a v-8 is great, but I think it is going to wear out the trans. This trans is not used on v-8 engines for a reason, because it can't handle the power.

I started in the v-8 camp, then went to SC after looking at cost & effort, but then back to v-8 bc of the tranny.

Putting a Ripp on a 3.8 is not making power like a V8...

·
Registered
169 Posts
My concern for the transmission still stands.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
We do a 5.7 Hemi swap for around $20k with a turnkey set up. An SC is a waste of money on a 3.8. Torque at low RPM range is key. We are running around 475 HP with our V8HJ tune and kit.

Ha, i only wish i could drop 20k.

·
Registered
896 Posts
In a very rare episode, we give you our production RIPP 3.6L Supercharger system on the best circumstances possible. This means, stock tire size, 6 speed manual transmission and stock gearing. This way, you can see where we stack up against our competitors videos!

RIPP

1 - 20 of 24 Posts