JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Long story short Boulder Colorado requires an emissions test every two years, and when I rolled into the emissions test stations last week with 35" MTRs I got the wonk eye from several employees followed by the emissions bossman giving me the boot and saying come back with smaller tires. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Luckily the local Jeep dealership was kind enough to let me swap out my 35s for a set of stock tires from another Jeep on their lot. The JK looked a little sad without its proper tires, but was happy to pass the emissions test.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I'm guessing they make you drive on some rollers or something... ? they used to do that here in Maryland now they just plug into your obd2 port and check for check engine codes and thats it .. but im surprised they couldn't handle 35's... glad you worked out something..

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah right, should have clarified that. The size of the tire doesn't have any bearing on the pass/fail of the emissions test. The 35s were just too large for the rollers the rear tires sit in during the test. Apparently they would pop out of place once they started spinning...that was the reason they gave me anyway.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I know its moot as you've got a small set of tires for now, but are the 35" tires legal according to the state? If they are I can't see why the emissions place would have any excuse for not testing. If its legal, its legal. Emissions place: deal with it.

Thats my "the state sucks, government sucks, fawk ewe!" $0.02. TIFWIW :thefinger:

·
Registered
553 Posts
I smogged my Yj on 40's and a spool here in cali even towed it to the smog shop. The guy said sure lets try it. Passed no prob.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I had the same problem with my XJ on 35's. They say it's your choice to modify the vehicle and won't do the test with them because "it's dangerous" on thier machine. They won't do an idle test on a modified vehicle but they where "able" to do one on my AWD Denali because it was too long to fit on thier machine.

Here's a pic of 35's on the front and about 28's on the rear so I could get it tested.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
that looks so funny

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I wouldn't want to have driven it too far with 4.56s and those little tires

1 - 9 of 9 Posts