JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as many know, I moved back to Maine after 9 years in Florida. We'll the state of Maine like most Northeast or Eastern States has inspection laws and where the root of this rebuild starts.

Fender coverage is a huge deal up here... and well let's face it, this isn't going to slide....

Current setup:
Teraflex 6" longarm LCG suspension
37x13.5R17 Nitto Mud Grapplers
1.5" Spidertrax wheel spacers
Off Road Evolution Outlaw fenders and EVO armor

So I purchased a nice little winter beater and put the beast up in storage because I just didn't have the funds this past fall to get everything together and well I honestly wasn't ready to put the rig through it's first season of liquid calcium that they spray all over the roads and rust everything out.

Then my research began...

-Maine says that fenders must cover full tire tread (looks like a little sidewall bulkiness is A.O.K:D)
-Maine says you must not exceed 2 inches above Manufacturers specifications (hmmmmm we'll come back to this one, there's ton's of big tires running around here... gotta do some investigating)
-Maine has a maximum frame height per GWR 4,501 to 7,500 lbs Front 27" (check:D) and Rear 29" (hmmmm:confused:might need a tire carrier to help drop an inch or so)

My rebuild research now starts... (THE ORIGINAL PLAN)
Overall I need to shrink the rig in a bit.
-Fenders to be cut from armor and widened to accommodate inspection specifications but first...
-Remove spacers to cut a few inches off the width (will check wheel clearance when wheels are installed, shouldn't be a problem from my research)
-New tires to be ordered (Nittos worn way down anyways), this time around run a 12.5" wide tire to save a few width inches. Spoke with a local club/jeep shop and also state inspection shop, and they state as long as gap between top of tire and bottom of fender is reasonable it will pass. They run up to 38s and 39s on a lot of their rigs without problems. They have seen my JK and said that I'm ok to order 37s again.... soooooooo Pitbull Rockers 37x12.5R17. Thanks Hoyt4x4 of St. Petersburg Florida:beer:

Found a local metal fab shop that is interested in working on my fenders and armor said they'll do the tires as well and inspection since his brother is going to start doing inspections in one of the bay as well as some mechanic work. Shop foreman seems up front and excited to work on the Jeep. I take the beast out of storage and get it to the shop about 4 weeks ago. The plan is to sandblast all armor and fenders, cut the fenders from the armor, make extensions along with inner tubes for strength, tack them up for my inspection, make adjustments where needed and then burn them on and prime them (I will paint them with rustoleum textured). Then we will reinstall.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pitbull Tires arrive! 5/18/2011 Thanks again Tony with Hoyt4x4 :beer:

takes shop a week to finally get them put on... because their machine won't do a tire this big.:shaking:

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
let the drama begin....

5/11/2011 Wednesday
Shop has now had my JK for 3 weeks and all they've done is take it to another shop to have tires put on it. I stop by to see fender progress and am told that he will have 2 for me to view on Friday 5/13/2011.

5/13/2011 I show up and NOTHING IS DONE :mad: am told that he fired some guys and blah blah blah... bullshit! Come back on Saturday 5/14/2011 and the promised 2 will be done.

5/14/2011 Friday
I show up and he had left 2 hours ago for the weekend (BEYOND PISSED!:pissed::pissed:)

5/15/2011 Monday
I show up to see progress after my work shift as I called prior to going and he said 2 were ready. Show up 1 is ready and it's full welded on ... WTF??? and it looks like garbage!! (too heated to take a picture) He said he still had a lot of cleaning up to do on them and promised all 4 to be done by the next day 5/16/2011 by 12noon.

So I head home, disappointed and start looking into my rebuild plans. I'm not liking where this is going... it's been 3 weeks and all that is produced is crap and a runaround story. What's this?.... TrailMods has released their new removeable fenders that are 3" wider than stock to accommodate fender laws? YES! So I get ahold of Chris with Jeep Add Ons and an hour later I have an UNBELIEVABLE AWESOME quote!! I let it sink in for the evening and work out a new plan.

-Now to shop cut off the fenders completely from the armor and clean them up for me to take. Order TrailMods fenders and cut the ORE armor to now be armor skins. (all to be done by myself):D

5/17/2011 Tuesday
-Order TrailMods fenders at 9am (Jeep Add Ons sales reps are great to deal with :beer: )
-Head over to shop and they have 3 out of the 4 fenders done (looking like shit, and fully welded on). I tell them of my new plan and he wasn't happy but accommodated my request. He was suppose to tack on the fenders and we would then make adjustments if needed, they weren't sandblasted and I didn't see any grin marks so this leads me to believe they welded through the old powdercoat. Told him that he wasn't sticking to his original plan of the build and that I had to take this new route because I NEED MY DAMN JEEP DONE!
-They cut off the fenders that day and cleaned them up. They look ok and I can do the rest.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
5/19/2011 Thursday
deliveries start coming in....

only 2 days from ordering! Thanks Chris from Jeep Add Ons :beer:

and some more..... Thanks Jason and Alec from EAD OFFROAD:D

wanted to try a new approach and run without a bar this time around and fill it full of lights (sort of ATX JK styling)

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
5/20/2011 Friday
Let it begin...

weather was crappy that day and primer went on thick... (old man left for a vacation to the Florida Keys for a week) so this is currently sitting in the shop for a week getting a good cure.

After priming the bumper I head over to the shop to pick up the Jeep and my old tires with a friend of the family. Load his truck up with my old tires and hop in the Jeep and head on home. About 5 miles from home going about 50mph I hear a loud BANG and see something shoot out in front of me. WTF? So I pull over quickly thinking maybe I just broke a wheel lug.

Walk the road about 200 feet and find a clip on wheel weight. I had told the shop SPECIFICALLY not to use these on my wheels (either outside or inside) as I would rip them off on trail. I only wanted stick on weights or beads. Closer inspection reveals that the stick on weights were used and these clip on styles too (ON ALL 4 WHEELS) and to top it off... my wheels are all gouged!!!!! :mad:.

So I drive home carefully not knowing how out of balance the tires may be and get it home. Get a ride back to town from my friend and pick up the cherokee and head over to the shop. Walk in and hand him that weight, his face got white as I said "remember when we had the conversation about these?" he acknowledged me and then went on to say he told the other shop not to use them. Proceeded to bring me into his office while he called the other shop to inform them of how pissed I was. Still... this is an extension of HIS SHOP! I informed them both I would not be paying for the tire service. I call the other shop once I left and he said he would do right by me and that my shop never told him to not put those on and that his machine wouldn't be able to gouge them like I explained, said he had noticed the gouges while installing which took an hour per tire. I learn a few other things too... which I'm currently working on and will update.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
damn E, sorry to hear about all this bad luck. definately subscribed tho!

love the tires too!!!

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Good luck bro... Keep us updated, I'm looking forward to seeing the beast at the next Maine invasion!

Sent by carrier pigeon

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
delivery just now 5/26/2011 (you'll appreciate this Nick) :beer:

This ladies and gentleman is a Teraflex Forged Rear Track Bar (DAMN THIS IS STOUT!)

The original LCG track bar stripped out at the johnny joint last summer during the Northeast Maine JKO Invasion run, and paramaniac came to the trail fix rescue with a plan to get me off trail, and then I had welded it for a permanent fix after. Well I wasn't in much of a hurry since the beast was getting put away for the winter but now I need the axle straight as I didn't get the positioning correct before welding and it's off... So I discussed it with Joe at Teraflex and finally pulled upgrade :beer:

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts
Why don't you drive your rig out here for a few weeks, we could get everything taken care of and have some fun.:beer::beer:

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Why don't you drive your rig out here for a few weeks, we could get everything taken care of and have some fun.:beer::beer:
now that sounds like a hell of a lot of fun. but the damn "d" that comes after the fun creates something I don't have... "funDs" :bawling:

You'll make it happen brother. Bring the SEXY back:beer:
damn straight :smokin:

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
delivery just now 5/26/2011 (you'll appreciate this Nick) :beer:

This ladies and gentleman is a Teraflex Forged Rear Track Bar (DAMN THIS IS STOUT!)

The original LCG track bar stripped out at the johnny joint last summer during the Northeast Maine JKO Invasion run, and paramaniac came to the trail fix rescue with a plan to get me off trail, and then I had welded it for a permanent fix after. Well I wasn't in much of a hurry since the beast was getting put away for the winter but now I need the axle straight as I didn't get the positioning correct before welding and it's off... So I discussed it with Joe at Teraflex and finally pulled upgrade :beer:
Looking good man... I'm quite certain that's gonna hold up a lot better than some JB Weld and a ratchet strap!

Sent by carrier pigeon

·
Registered
3,691 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
wow , you have been through a lot of hassle... i know how that can be ... but sounds like you have things coming together ! I'm sure when your done it will be well worth it and be a awesome looking rig.. always one of my favorites.. good luck with everything ill be watching :beer:

1 - 20 of 121 Posts