JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just back from a 2 week vacation. Disconnected my battery before leaving, and reconnected it when I got back. Did a quick run to the store to pick up a few things, jeep ran fine. Fired it up to drive home, and got the "dead instrument cluster / unstoppable windshield wiper" thing. Crazy. Turned lights off/on and it went away. Cool. Today my radio was going ape shit crazy, bluetooth cutting in and out, no volume off the radio here and there, just completely random.

Guess it may not have been a good idea to disconnect the battery after all...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Gotta love CAN bus vehicles. Putting almost everything on a POS network was the worst move the automobile industry has ever made.

·
Registered
166 Posts
mine did that several times, turned out i had a loose ground underneath the driver side kick panel (your left foot kicks it if you have a manual)

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hasn't done it again but since I have a manual as well, not a bad idea to check it anyway. Thanks.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Round 2.

Started my jeep for the first time in 9 days. This time around, I did not disconnect the battery cable. I was wondering if the JK would do a repeat performance after having let it sit for 9 days over Thanksgiving. It did not disappoint.

First, the battery was dead. Fortunately I have an inclined driveway and a manual tranny, so I was able to roll backwards and pop the clutch while in reverse to turn the engine over. Then I was greeted with the ESP light. No big deal, my steering wheel was off center and recently fixed, so thought maybe it was still a little bit off. Then the fun started. Tried to make a left turn across a busy road when going to work, and romped on the gas - suddenly some kind of governor kick in, and the JK lost almost all power. I presume this is what people refer to as "limp mode". Not fun to discover your jeep is in limp mode when trying to quickly pull across a busy intersection. Fortunately I didn't hit anyone (or rather, no one hit me).

Thankfully, the old "reboot" strategy worked - after turning the engine off and back on (having to pop the clutch while in gear to turn the jeep over!) all of the lights went off and everything was back to normal...

I parked in the garage this morning facing the downhill ramp, just in case I need to do the manual-start trick to get me home!

Never a dull moment with these vehicles!

·
Research, bro!
2,219 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Had the same thing happen to my 2008 jk. It is the TIPM(totally integrated power module) . Only fix is replacing it. Unfortunately it's a dealer only thing as each module has to be flashed to the specific jeep. No other used one will work as used ones have the info from their original jeep in them. Coste about $900

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The battery is one of the Sears Platinum series, the one that is the same as the Odyssey battery.

As with the first incident, this one just went away after the first time I started the jeep and didn't come back on my drive home.

I'll be interested to see what happens when I head out again for a couple weeks next month. I'll disconnect the battery again and see if it repeats the windshield wiper dance.

At least this stuff goes away quickly...so far...(knock on wood!)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Had the same thing happen to my 2008 jk. It is the TIPM(totally integrated power module) . Only fix is replacing it. Unfortunately it's a dealer only thing as each module has to be flashed to the specific jeep. No other used one will work as used ones have the info from their original jeep in them. Coste about $900
No dealer flash is usually required. There is a simple procedure (available thanks to Ronjex) where the tipm is programed to the jk. Sometimes there is a communication error which would need a dealer fix, but that is indicitive of a different issue.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Lol. Sorry, I am brutal with names...and other things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts