JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently lifted my 4 door JK and threw on 37's and am seeing some strange behavior. When I go around a slow right turn, the Electronic Stabilty Control will kick in and pulse the brakes. Kind of annoying. Has anyone else seen this issue? Does anyone have a solution? I was thinking of just removing the sensors at each wheel, but do not know if this will freak out the system all together. I still have not reprogramed the speed sensor for the 37's, was going to wait until I got the 5.13 gearing in. I have a feeling this may solve the issue, just not sure.
All feedback is welcome.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
There has been some poepl with the same issue. I have the issue right now. I bent my Drag Link and have not gotten back around to straightening my wheel so the ESP triggers when I go around long sweeping corners to the left.

Quick question, was your draglink adjusted after the lift? Seems like the majority of the time I hear of this problem turns out it is due to that.

There are two ways to disable the ESP system. One is a mod that adds a switch that will allow you to fully disable the esp system but requires snipin some wires

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=44728

There is now a factory flash that will allow you to turn ESP off. I am not sure of the details, this may not 100% shut the system off but, it should reduce it to nearly invisible. Once the flash has been completed there wil bee a key turning type sequence to disable esp.

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1084&highlight=esp+flash

G

·
0 Posts
I will second what WTF_LOL said. The vast majority of these problems seem to be cured once you center the steering wheel. If you haven't done that already, it's the very first thing to try.

I'm running 35's on my Jeep. I am generally very happy with the ESP system. The only time I have had it "annoy" me is when I'm going downhill at very slow speeds on very sharp corners. In that situation, I get the same pulsating of the brakes. However, even when the vehicle was bone stock, I had it do the same thing once.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gerat intel guys, thanks!:beer:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Heh. Found out the MOST annoying issue with ESP.... it reduces power when you need wheel spin. I was at BMRA in Gilmer TX this weekend when I (rediscovered) that annoying fact when attempting a short (4') rise out of a mud pit. (And other than the fact that I'm such a n00b... I didn't use the lockers or have it in 4W lo :shaking: ) When I'd punch it on the slope...the engine would bog. After I was strapped out by the guy in front of me, I figured it out and remembered that fact. Sigh..... betcha I don't forget next time.

A

·
0 Posts
Try all the steering wheel alignment stuff and like I suggested on Colo4x4 a Poly flipped drag link fixed this for me.

·
Registered
962 Posts
There is now a factory flash that will allow you to turn ESP off. I am not sure of the details, this may not 100% shut the system off but, it should reduce it to nearly invisible. Once the flash has been completed there wil bee a key turning type sequence to disable esp.

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1084&highlight=esp+flash
Careful if you ask for this, this is the same flash that fried my computer, or so the dealer claims. It still doesn't work to shut it off like it's supposed to. I have yet to read that the flash works on the 07's. Dealer dosen't have a clue either. They call for support and still can't make it work.
I'm ready to start cuttin' wires:pissed:

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
I found this thread and wanted to keep my questions in the same place since they are related.

1) We're all familiar ESP limiting acceleration. I am trying to practice turning it off (partial off) whenever I drive it but keep forgetting. For those who have used the switch to disable it, do you notice any improvement in driveability (seat-of-the-pants performance) or change in fuel mileage?

2) I've noticed quicker wear on the rear brakes than the front. It's the wife's dd and she is not hard on brakes. Maybe they are just undersized. Does anyone know if this could have anything to do with the ESP trying to help her drive?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Can anyone tell me where to look for the wire? i cant stand having "help" driving. Thanks.

I snipped the wire and installed the switch back in february. I have not had the ESP back on once since then.

I havent noticed any uneven brake wear or any problems of any nature. Stops when I want it to and goes when I want it to. My dash has the 3 lights on, but Ive learned to ignore that.

2 cents.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I recently lifted my 4 door JK and threw on 37's and am seeing some strange behavior. When I go around a slow right turn, the Electronic Stabilty Control will kick in and pulse the brakes. Kind of annoying. Has anyone else seen this issue? Does anyone have a solution? I was thinking of just removing the sensors at each wheel, but do not know if this will freak out the system all together. I still have not reprogramed the speed sensor for the 37's, was going to wait until I got the 5.13 gearing in. I have a feeling this may solve the issue, just not sure.
All feedback is welcome.

You cant just remove the sensors, the left front is used for your speedometer which also plays a part in transmission shifting. That is why when you put larger tires on and then re-gear the speedo never changes from when you put the larger tires on.

Adjust your track bars front and rear to center the axles and then center your steering wheel by adjusting the drag link.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
gold knight. I have read that the esp will cause the back brakes to wear faster due to the esp applying braking in many situations. (even though the driver isn't braking- the esp "senses" the need)

Here is a quip from the Aeroforce website regarding their OBDII gauge.
"The gauge has bi-directional controls allowing for manaul control of the low and high speed fans. On newer vehicles using the CAN bus
(see application guide) the transmission controller can be reset to improve track performance. The Electronic Stability Program can
also be completely turned off."
I will be installing this over the next two weekends and will let you know how it does.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
gold knight. I have read that the esp will cause the back brakes to wear faster due to the esp applying braking in many situations. (even though the driver isn't braking- the esp "senses" the need)

Here is a quip from the Aeroforce website regarding their OBDII gauge.
"The gauge has bi-directional controls allowing for manaul control of the low and high speed fans. On newer vehicles using the CAN bus
(see application guide) the transmission controller can be reset to improve track performance. The Electronic Stability Program can
also be completely turned off."
I will be installing this over the next two weekends and will let you know how it does.
I have the aeroforce tech gauge and yes you can turn the esp completely off, only thing is the cruise control wont work while its off.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
I have the aeroforce tech gauge and yes you can turn the esp completely off, only thing is the cruise control wont work while its off.
your cruise works lol mine turns on then the motor down shifts and sounds like its going to blow up lol

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Almost 8 months ago. Hope he figured it out by now.

:beer:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts