JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am adding fog/driving lights to my 08 JK. Everything is mounted and wiring harness is complete. Now the ---- do I get the harness through the firewall. I found the rubber gramet on the passenger side and I am going to put the switch on the removable panel below the hazard lights. Again, how do I get the harness through the firewall.
Taking my time so I don't screw it up.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I poked all of my wires thru the drivers side rubber gromet by attatching the wires to a long screwdriver with a piece of tape.
I didn't do them ALL at once though. I had to do a few at a time.
:beer:

BTW, Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I ran the sPod harness through the driver's side firewall, but for the heavy-gauge shit, (radios, inverter, etc,) I pulled the battery tray out, and ran wires through the main harness gasket on the passenger side. If you plan for the future, It's a better location imho - more watertight, closer to the battery, and easier access from the cabin side.

it takes a couple hours just to de & re the whole battery tray though, so plan for your future upgrades first, and run all your wires at once. besides, you don't want to strip & retape your harness gasket too many times either.

to get through the driver's side, straighten out a wire coathanger, and push it down through the firewall hole. in the cabin, pull the dahboard side-plate, and watch for the coathanger. pass it out through the side panel, attach your wires, and pull the coathanger back through the firewall into the engine bay.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Theres a way easier way.....
Take off the little panel on the driver side dash by the door. Look in there and you will see some expanding foam. This is filling a hole to the engine compartment. Get a clothes hanger and poke your wires through. Takes 2 minutes tops.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I did all mine through the passenger side... works just as good... if I need to run anymore, I'll have to go through the drivers side. :smokin:

·
ADDICTION II build begins....
3,833 Posts
that's how I did mine....then as I connected items to the sPOD, I ran extended wiring from the sPOD through the same hole into the cabin using a metal hanger with wires taped using duct tape, pulled it through the holes, and then saudered it to the item I wanted to connect to the sPOD. After the wires were connected, I then connected the wire to the sPOD. Going this way allowed for me to connect extension wire to the devices and ensure a proper fit to the sPOD Source location without lots of wiring (especially since I am going to line the tub and not want lots of wiring hanging/coiled up on the tub for people to trip on).

·
Registered
915 Posts
I think im going to run mine a little lower. I have an automatic and there is a hole below the grommet everone else uses. Seems a little easier to get to. I think it's for the clutch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts