JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 2-door Sahara.
Wondering how people like the electric hoist. $389

I searched some threads. But most get hi-jacked.

How do you like it,
How was the install,
How long are you comfortable leaving it hanging?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I have a manual hoist system and have no problem leaving my top up there for the summer. Come to think of it, my hoist is from my old TJ and the top doesn't fit on there properly, I still use it and have had no problems for 2 summers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Works well to lift the top, but I actually hang some ratchet straps from the ceiling and hook them to 2x4's to support the top all summer. I think the lift could support it, but I don't like the fact that it rotates around freely with a single lift point in the middle.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I bought a 400lb electric (120v) hoist at a local liquidation store for $99. The hoist came with brackets designed so it hangs from square tubing.

So, I then purchased a length of 1.5" square tubing for the hoist to slide on, so I have lateral movement. i.e. let's me move hoist around.

To solve the problem OJTJK mentioned above...once it is hanging, I run a couple more support straps up to the tubing for additional safety and to prevent it from swinging. Love it....lifting/dropping the top is a 5 minute, one person job.

Around here, where the weather changes every time a butterfly flaps it's wings, deciding to go topless or not is a quick decision.

G

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I have one of these & installed it last year. Had the hard top hanging on it from March this year through about an hour ago. I stopped the rotation problem with a small wire tied off through the hard top screw hole (the one above the driver's head).

But I just discovered a small problem. The power hoist has you lay the freedom panels upside down on the T-bar. Well, that cheap little Chinese power hoist had a slight leak on the gearbox. I now have a nice little oil stain on the interior of one of the panels. :pissed:

So - if you're going to use one of these, the power top hoist works great. Just be sure to put something on those freedom panels to keep the oil off of them.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I have a manual hoist system and have no problem leaving my top up there for the summer. Come to think of it, my hoist is from my old TJ and the top doesn't fit on there properly, I still use it and have had no problems for 2 summers.

Updated, 3 summers.... :thefinger:

·
Coonasian
1,835 Posts
I have the manual, it really cranks on and off in hardly a minute with minimal effort even for an old fart like me. That oil leak situation would suck I imagine. :beer:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts