JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 JKUR had to sit for a couple months while I was away at work. When I got back it wouldn’t start, and no power to anything. Took it to my shop and they said it needs an ECU but they can’t find one and I’m having a hard time finding a match too. Here’s a pic of the unit.

Does the ecu need to be a 100% match for it to work? Or would any one would in this case? Thanks!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Fca does not recommend using used ecu's. They claim that security codes already in the controller can trigger other modules. I recommend buying a new one. then your dealer will program in software and security keys.
That being said I have a friend who has a auto wrecker and he sells every ecu he can get his hands on. If you get the same year and engine/transmission usually a good scanner can program in the security code and it will work. No guarantee though as sometimes they just wont program the security code.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fca does not recommend using used ecu's. They claim that security codes already in the controller can trigger other modules. I recommend buying a new one. then your dealer will program in software and security keys.
That being said I have a friend who has a auto wrecker and he sells every ecu he can get his hands on. If you get the same year and engine/transmission usually a good scanner can program in the security code and it will work. No guarantee though as sometimes they just wont program the security code.
Can you ask your friend if he can remove/defeat the need for a security code and just let the JK start with any key?
My '16 JK is not registered and never again will be, so I'd like to be able to just bypass ALL the nanny features, including the requirement for a programmed key in the ignition.
It's somewhat stock as far as the factory electrical goes.
ETA:
I will start a new discussion if your friend says yes as to not derail this thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts