JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had a rattle (clunk) in my tailgate for about a year (despite never carrying a spare on it). I could lift on the gate and feel some play in the top hinge. I've adjusted the striker and the cup but nothing seemed to ever fix it.

Fast forward a few months. I installed a TF hinge and carrier because I decided I needed to free up cargo space and get the spare out of the back cargo area.

Everything is tight and installed correctly. I just can't get rid of the damn clunk over bumps.

Any ideas on what is causing it or an easy way to adjust the striker and cup. It gets frustrating making minor adjustments, driving, coming back and making another adjustment....repeat over and over and over again. :th_pray:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
If you have loose hinges, that needs to be fixed before you make adjustments.

My tail gate would clunk, too, and the hinges are not worn.
This is what I did a couple years ago. It has been quiet since.
Give it a try until you can fix the hinges.

·
A JKO DICK
3,688 Posts
Is there something inside the tailgate banging around? Have you checked? There was a bolt flopping around in one of the back doors of my truck when I got it.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there something inside the tailgate banging around? Have you checked? There was a bolt flopping around in one of the back doors of my truck when I got it.
It's clean. Checked everything out when I wired up the brake light and installed the carrier. Even put a new vent in.

·
A JKO DICK
3,688 Posts
It's clean. Checked everything out when I wired up the brake light and installed the carrier. Even put a new vent in.
I would take the gate off and drive it to make sure it's the gate and shake the gate while it's off just to be sure there's not a cable or something moving around.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Holy 6 year bump! Glad you got it fixed.

I’m going through this right now too. Dealer suggested new hinges - $150
North ridge 4x4 wanted nearly $600 worth of aftermarket parts to “fix” the clunk.

I will be adjusting that tomorrow in hopes of full recovery.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’m going through this right now too. Dealer suggested new hinges - $150
North ridge 4x4 wanted nearly $600 worth of aftermarket parts to “fix” the clunk.

I will be adjusting that tomorrow in hopes of full recovery.

Thanks.

Slide the catch forward 1/4”. Problem resolved. Funny, how Northridge would rather sell me $500-600 crap than to help a guy figure out how to adjust to fix. . Doesn’t make me warm and fuzzy about spending money there- Ever.

Northridge salesman actually said: “I wouldn’t be ashamed to sell you this hinge system”.

Anyway. Problem for me solved; $0 spent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts