JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what mods can I do to increase the gas mileage? I know its not a prius.. but just tryin to get a little better fuel economy? new plugs wires? cold air intake? anything else?

·
Banned
16,618 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Im getting an average of 17 to 20. 17 around town not driving like a maniac. 20 on the highway with the cruise set. About 15 offroad driving like a bat out of hell, but hey thats ehy I bought it.:thefinger:

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts

what mods can I do to increase the gas mileage? I know its not a prius.. but just tryin to get a little better fuel economy? new plugs wires? cold air intake? anything else?
I find I get better gas miliage if I just set the cruise Control to 65 and relax.

·
Registered
494 Posts
There were a whole lot of talented engineers that squeezed every bit of MPG out of this Jeep that was feasible to be had. There are more mods you could do, but most likely, you'll never recoup the cost of doing them. Like the previous poster said, drive like grandpa.

Once you lift and get bigger tires, a gear change will optimize mileage and performance. No matter what kind of sticker you put on it, it's still a two ton aerodynamic brick.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Agreed with all of the above.
99% of the time, the BEST way to get better gas mileage is changing your driving habits. Moderate throttle and low RPM's for acceleration, and learn to maintain your speed.
Next best thing is routine maintenance- tire pressure, oil and filter changes, etc.
After that, a higher-flow exhaust and intake will help SOME, but tend to negate that value by making you floor it more often :)
Plugs probably won't do jack, and wires might help a LITTLE. The factory plugs are dang good, with almost no room for improvement as long as they're in spec (gap).
Also, keep the A/C off- you have a convertible, ya know? :) Mark W.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Its a Jeep not a hybrid live with it or buy a "Prius"

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
^ No need to be like that. I'm sure keeping a few extra bucks in each of our pockets would be a welcome addition. The best way, as I said above, to get better economy is also the best way to go faster on the race track- learn to drive better :) We all can do it, and it's often free (or cheap, at least)- Mark W.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Make the wife get out and push

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
^ That'll depend on your gears and tires, of course.
62 with stock 29's (base model wheels and tires) and 3.73's is where our sweet spot is.
Also, I forgot to mention, getting rid of unnecessary weight and aerodynamic obstructions helps. Thus, N39 was on the right track :) Mark W.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
There's no real "trick",just basic stuff and common sense.Free up the intake and exhaust,keep your foot out of the firewall,and use cruise control as much as possible.I average around 19.5 locally,and on the hwy so far it's been around 22mpg.However I expect that to increase a bit as I get more miles on my vehicle (only 800 now).Further: the use of full synthectic fluids in the drivetrain will yield a bit more mpg due to less friction etc.I'm sure your already aware of keeping the tires properly inflated too..:smokin:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Believe it or not, your brake peddle, or the way you use it, has a lot to do with gas mileage too. If there is a stop light stop sign or turn ahead, ease off early and let the thing coast for a while. The time you save by staying in the gas till the last minute and than braking hard just doesn't exist. You will just spend more time sitting at the light waiting for it to change. If you time it right, you may not even have to come to a complete stop. That saves a bunch of gas. You also save on brakes. My Trooper had 80k miles on it when I traded it and the brakes were still in good shape. I pull a trailer a fair bit as well. My Jeep is approaching 1000 miles and I average 20.5 mpg.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Does anyone with a lift and any tires bigger than stock or regearing have some mpg numbers?

I have 35's and 4.88 gears and at best I get 12 mpg. That is between 70-75mph. In town it is about the same. I do not have a CAI or exhaust. Stock on those aspects. It is still better than my Dodge Dakota that I sold.

Just curious to see what others get with similar mods.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm on 33x12.50 2in lift with 373 and an auto. Just now turned over 1100 miles. So far I been gettin bout 16 city and the only 2 short road trips I been on got bout 19.5 to 20. I'm an old fart and I drive like one LOL........Oh yeah hwy speed bout 65 mph

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm guessing your drive on 35's at 70 are not up n down hills. My trips are mostly through the mtns. of Northeast Pa down to MD. That may be some of the difference aside from the 4.10s

1 - 20 of 24 Posts