JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 288 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Feel free to bring on the WTF?! :shitstorm:

Over the last several months I had begun to hate driving my 2010 JKU. It had become a cumbersome beast. I drive a 40+ mile daily commute, and can regularly rack up over 100 miles in a day. I loved building it, but the gas mileage was draining my wallet, maintenance was becoming too time intensive, I was never able to find the time to enjoy what I built it for, and it just wasn't fun to drive every day. Also, I realized that building that Jeep was my way of avoiding a deteriorating relationship when not traveling for work.

So, after patching things up at home (all is well) I called up Adam's Jeep in Aberdeen, MD and basically set-up the trade over the phone. They gave me an AWESOME deal. I have to admit, after dealing with the dealerships around me, dealing with Adam's Jeep was refreshing. :rockon:

What I traded in:

2010 JKU Sport

What I picked-up:

2012 JK Rubicon

I plan to make this a much more mild build. I'm going to keep in line with my needs vs whatever MOAB dreams were in my head. It's going to be a lessons learned build.

e-jeep's Build Sheet
Updated 1o March 2013

Rock Krawler 2.5" Stock Mod System
Rock Krawler Front Track Bar
Rock Krawler Rear Track Bar Bracket
Rock Krawler Front Sway Bar Links
Synergy Suspension Front Frame Track Bar Bracket
Synergy Suspension Rear Frame Track Bar Bracket
Bilstein 5100 Shocks
AEV Control Arm Drop Brackets
JKS Rear Coil Spring Retainers
Synergy Suspension Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket
Teraflex Exhaust Spacers
2" Front Bump Stops

35x12.50R17LT Nitto Trail Grappler MT
17x9 American Outlaw Spur Wheels
Teraflex Hinged Carrier
Teraflex Spare Tire Mount
Teraflex Hi-Lift/Rotopax Mount

Shrockworks Front Stubby Bumper
Shrockworks Rear Stubby Bumper
Shrockworks Rock Sliders
Nemesis Notorious Flares
Synergy Front LCA Skids
EVO Rear LCA Skids
Synergy Suspension C Gussets

Warn 9.5 cti-s
Viking/ARB Mixed Recovery Kit
ARB High Output On-Board Air Compressor
EVO Air Compressor Bracket
REI First Aid Kit
48" Hi-Lift Jack Xtreme
Rotopax 2 Gallon Gas Packs

Lightforce 140 Lances
Yellow Wide Angle Filters
ORO 3rd Brake/Plate Light
Sylvania Silverstar Ultra Headlights

Rugged Ridge Hood Latches
Surprise Straps Grab Handles
Spiderweb Shade Ultra Mesh
Quadratec Floor Mats
MOPAR License Plate Delete
MOPAR Fuel Filler Door
Rugged Ridge A Piller Switch Pod
Gen Right Vacuum Pump Relocation Kit
Tuffy Security Console Insert
Die Tech Mirror Relocation Brackets
Vector Offroad MP Table

Cobra 75 CB
3' Firestick

Don't have, but soon:

Synergy Rear Bump Stops
Crown Industrial Brake Lines
Fire Extinguisher

Not too distant future ...maybe:

Oil Pan/Transmission Protection
Adjustable Control Arms
Half Doors
Rear Track Bar

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Cool, I'll be watching this build:beer:

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sad to see your old Jeep go... But it will be fun to watch your new build. What made you switch to a two door? I like the color by the way.
To me ...getting rid of the 2010 was very liberating. I wanted a two door when I bought the 2010, but I got talked out of it.

Cool, I'll be watching this build:beer:
Thanks brother. It's gonna be fun!

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm proud of you man!!

Beers on me...road trip it to town so you can get me a deal on a 12. Lol

Thanks my friend!

Absolutely!! I'll find a way to get down to visit my future home state soon(ish).

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Damn, quite the rig/build change! I plan to retire mine as a toy within the next 2-3 years :D They do get a bit cumbersome to drive, and I've kept mine as low maintenance as possible. Stock arms, stock driveshafts, etc.

Maybe I won't dislike mine as much after I regear it...I've grown to get annoyed with being so damn slow :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn, quite the rig/build change! I plan to retire mine as a toy within the next 2-3 years :D They do get a bit cumbersome to drive, and I've kept mine as low maintenance as possible. Stock arms, stock driveshafts, etc.

Maybe I won't dislike mine as much after I regear it...I've grown to get annoyed with being so damn slow :lol:

LOL!!! If you haven't driven a 2012, then don't!!!! The difference is amazing. I'm going to enjoy this build. Keeping it simple.

I think cumbersome is my way of saying, "fucking hell, I hate driving this thing in DC!!!"

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
sucks to see such a badass rig go. But you gotta do what you gotta do right. Lookin forward to see what you come up with for the build. Also cant wait to see those flares on there, i am about to get those as well just not sure which ones.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sucks to see such a badass rig go. But you gotta do what you gotta do right. Lookin forward to see what you come up with for the build. Also cant wait to see those flares on there, i am about to get those as well just not sure which ones.

Already hit Marcus up!! Odyssey fronts and Notorious rears are my September project.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
LOL!!! If you haven't driven a 2012, then don't!!!! The difference is amazing. I'm going to enjoy this build. Keeping it simple.

I think cumbersome is my way of saying, "fucking hell, I hate driving this thing in DC!!!"
I have driven a 2012, it is a much nicer power train, but there is no way I'd be able to start over another Jeep build. I'll probably put a RIPP on mine at some point, but overall it stays! You are a brave man for going back to baby-tires. :D :beer:

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have driven a 2012, it is a much nicer power train, but there is no way I'd be able to start over another Jeep build. I'll probably put a RIPP on mine at some point, but overall it stays! You are a brave man for going back to baby-tires. :D :beer:

LOL!!!! But your Jeep is very cool ...and isn't tied up in "issues". I've driven a RIPPed JK ...massive improvement.

Only going with 33s on this one. Interesting note ...a place local to me may be working on a supercharger for the 2012 adding an estimated 40 HP.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
Jason from Airpark took me for a ride in a 2 dr Rubi with the Pentastar and it was a bit unsettling. I thought for sure it was going to lose contact with the road because it was such a difference in power when he was hammering the shit out of it. I am surprised to see you lose two doors, but understand. Should have just traded me straight across. :lol: I keep getting the urge to add the second set of doors. Congratulations on the new Jeep! Also nice to see a well built 2 door that isn't over the top come through here.

Oh, and Goody, baby tires? Really dude! :thefinger:

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jason from Airpark took me for a ride in a 2 dr Rubi with the Pentastar and it was a bit unsettling. I thought for sure it was going to lose contact with the road because it was such a difference in power when he was hammering the shit out of it. I am surprised to see you lose two doors, but understand. Should have just traded me straight across. :lol: I keep getting the urge to add the second set of doors. Congratulations on the new Jeep! Also nice to see a well built 2 door that isn't over the top come through here.

Oh, and Goody, baby tires? Really dude! :thefinger:

Thanks!! Yeah ...there's a huge difference!!

...and Goody's kinda right. LOL

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
Thanks!! Yeah ...there's a huge difference!!

...and Goody's kinda right. LOL
FML, I need new tires! I keep trying to convince myself they'll do... Then evil people remind me of my size problem. It's like being married, only different.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I am sure that I could find out with some searching but what was done to your old JK that required a lot of maintenance? Also what about it made it not fun to drive everyday?

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am sure that I could find out with some searching but what was done to your old JK that required a lot of maintenance? Also what about it made it not fun to drive everyday?

I'll admit that the constant maintenance was exacerbated by my level of OCD. But the level of modification to that Jeep required constant tweaking to keep it riding well. I had control arm mounting points that were egging out. The steering was always off, and required alignments often. There was a driveshaft vibration that I could never completely rid myself of. I was feeling like all the beefy steering, lift, etc. upgrades were just masking potential issues.

Like I said above, I drive between 40 and 100+ miles per day in DC traffic. That thing was a gas chowing pig. It was cumbersome and about as agile as a three legged water buffalo. Additionally, in all the time I had it I was only able to put her on big rocks once.

There's also the personal reasons I stated in the OP, that I'm really not going to elaborate on except to say things are greatly improved now.

My hope is that whoever buys her from Adam's Jeep gets to enjoy what she was built for.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm on the samepageas you e-jeep. I drive 110 miles a day round trip in my 2010 2- door. But I only have a teraflex leveling kit and 33" km2's so its not THAT bad. Mild build on mine if you ask me,but still fun as hell to drive. Good luck with the new 2-door looking forward to watching this one.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'll admit that the constant maintenance was exacerbated by my level of OCD. But the level of modification to that Jeep required constant tweaking to keep it riding well. I had control arm mounting points that were egging out. The steering was always off, and required alignments often. There was a driveshaft vibration that I could never completely rid myself of. I was feeling like all the beefy steering, lift, etc. upgrades were just masking potential issues.

Like I said above, I drive between 40 and 100+ miles per day in DC traffic. That thing was a gas chowing pig. It was cumbersome and about as agile as a three legged water buffalo. Additionally, in all the time I had it I was only able to put her on big rocks once.

There's also the personal reasons I stated in the OP, that I'm really not going to elaborate on except to say things are greatly improved now.

My hope is that whoever buys her from Adam's Jeep gets to enjoy what she was built for.
It's cool that you got you personal stuff fixed as that is way more important than Jeeps.

I just wondered if it was something specific. I have been modifying Jeeps and Trucks for going on 30 years now and I have learned that you get what you pay for and to not rush your installs for the sake of saying you did something really quick.

My wife has driven an 07 Unlimited for almost 4 years with a RockKrawler setup and 35's as a DD. Her commute is around 70-80 miles a day in all types of weather and we just sold that Jeep with 70k on it and very few issues.

I am building a 2012 on 37's starting today as a replacement and it will be on 37's, PR44 front, PR60 rear, etc... Hopefully it will be as trouble free as the last one.

She currently has my 580hp F350 on 37's on a 700 mile round trip for a mini vacation wiht my son while I stay here and work on ther Jeep.:suicide:

864 Posts

I definitely dont miss driving in the DC area. Its much more enjoyable here in sunny California.

1 - 20 of 288 Posts